Three Days of Darkness in Genesis

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
When a reader is reading Genesis and discovers that "the lights in the sky" were only created on the fourth day, he or she often tries to "explain" this and suggest that the light created on day 1 was a spiritual light that shone during the daytime to delineate daytime and thus separate day from night. After all, the first three 24-hour periods are divided into day and night, so how are they divided if not by light ?

(Implicit but usually unstated in this interpretation is the idea that the spiritual light shone for 3 periods of 12 hours and was later replaced by the physical light from the sun on the 4th day.)

I want to suggest that the first three days were, in fact, in entire darkness.

It says in the book of Revelation that eventually night itself will cease to exist (Rev 21:23-25, 22:5), yet the Torah requires things to happen at certain times, thus the cessation of the normal day-and-night cycle cannot be an existential threat to the commandments.

In fact, certain regions have nights and days that can last for multiple 24-hour periods, yet time still exists there.
In the northernmost town of Sweden, the polar night lasts for twenty-eight periods of 24 hours, while the midnight sun lasts around fifty 24-hour periods.

While there is polar night in the arctic circle, there is polar day in the antarctic circle, and vice versa.

Joshua's "long day" also violated what we consider the "normal" cycle of day and night, yet we don't consider it a challenge to or nullification of God's calendar.

If the first three days were in complete darkness, the last three days may perhaps have been in complete daylight. Thus the creation is split into two, a dark half and an illuminated half.

It fits symbolically with the themes of Bereshit:

The first letter in Bereshit is Bet, the 2nd letter of the Hebrew Alefbet, and having the numeric value of 2. God could have begun the Bible with the letter Alef, or any letter really, but instead he took the opportunity to teach us that the physical world is a world of duality.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"...there was light. 4God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning..."

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The light passage is repeated in Gen. 1:14 as well vs 3ff.

The reasoning given is that the luminaries were created in vs 3 & 4, and put into place in the heavens in vs 14. ff

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
"...there was light. 4God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning..."

There is evening and morning even when there is no light, as in the polar regions.

If the sun was not giving any light, what was the source of light ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I'm talking about c5000 years ago when creation was coming into being. :)

Did the sun and moon rotate differently / give light in a different way in the past ?
(This is less significant but it sounded like you might be of the opinion that polar night and polar day did not exist in the past.)

More importantly:
What was the earth's source of light (and heat I might add) if not the sun in your view?

My long-time belief has been that Yeshua was somehow himself the source of light (and heat) for three periods of 12 hours, as in the future depicted in the book of Revelation, but the "three days of darkness" seemed like such a Biblically meaningful thing that I wanted to at least consider and investigate it. Combined with three days without darkness, calling to mind the nightless world again described in Revelation, makes for a very interesting symbolism at the very least.

While it solves many problems, a drawback of the idea of Yeshua-as-light-source-and-heat-generator is that the switch over to sunlight seems like it would be a degradation and also a big event that would be explicitly mentioned.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I'm just telling you what Torah gives as the reason; it seems plausible to me.

It explained when the sun and moon were created, in vs 3, and when they were put in place in the heavens in vs 14ff. That's why both events are, essentially, the same.

You may not agree, but that is the reasoning given.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I'm just telling you what Torah gives as the reason; it seems plausible to me.

It explained when the sun and moon were created, in vs 3, and when they were put in place in the heavens in vs 14ffThat's why both events are, essentially, the same.

You may not agree, but that is the reasoning given.

I'm not saying I disagree, I just wonder what the source of light and heat for three days was.

Are you saying: the sun was giving light and heat, but not rotating?
It was further away, or closer than now?
What are you saying?

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I am saying that the sun and moon and stars were CREATED in vs 3 (thus they gave off light). They were put into PLACE in the heavens as in vs 14ff.

Therefore there was light from vs 3 forward, just not in the sky as they now are. After verse 14 G_d put them in the heavens, as we see them now.

The scriptures do not mention heat

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is evening and morning even when there is no light, as in the polar regions.

If the sun was not giving any light, what was the source of light ?
Since we are simply saying what we think happened, I think the sun is the light created, and it started the day/night cycle because it was shining on earth and earth was rotating. But Earth was cloudy on the first 3 days of the vision, and only on the 4th day were the skies clear in the vision, so that the sun, moon and stars could be seen. God speaks to the person getting the vision so that they will learning something from the vision. We are told in effect that even the entire way nature is, with stars, the sun, and all else is ultimately to help make our special home, Earth, pleasing and good for us to live on, all of it is for us -- "...and it was very good."

Upvote 0