✟7,707.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello everyone,

If you've read any of my posts in the past, you likely know that I am what is called an agnostic atheist. This means that I do not hold a belief in any particular god or gods, but also do not believe that a god doesn't exist. I just don't know one way or another. So, I suppose I am what you all in the Christian community might call a "wayward soul".

Anyway, lately, I've been having some very strange experiences that I cannot comfortably chalk up to coincidence. I will share the first of these experiences after providing a little background history.

There is this girl at my college that I used to take a martial arts class with. I am currently a senior; it was sophomore year that we took the class together. We developed a strong friendship very quickly; if you've ever taken martial arts, you may know that throwing and being thrown around by someone of the opposite sex three times a week tends to build up some sexual tension. I was single at the time, but this girl had a boyfriend at a military academy many miles away. So, one night, this tension exploded. I stopped myself from going *too* far with this girl, but the damage was done to our friendship and we haven't really spoken that much since, though now we are both single.

So, on to the weirdness: I've been mentally and spiritually lost in this fog lately. I am unable to concentrate on my academic studies or motivate myself to do much of anything other than creative writing and playing bass. That may just be senioritis, but I've been having these weird thoughts lately that there has to be something out there that "started" all of this. I've been so consumed with these thoughts that it has lead to my absent-mindedness and aforementioned lethargy.

So, one day, I decide to start exploring religion again. I pick up my NIV Bible and start reading, plugging all the way through Genesis in one sitting. The strange thing is, right as I finished, the girl I mentioned calls me up. I forgot to mention that this girl is a very fervent Christian. She tells me that she doesn't know why, but God gave her the feeling that she should call me. This severely disturbs me; I didn't share that sentiment with her, but we conversed for awhile and caught up on things. I should also mention that I still harbor a strong attraction to this girl. Even though I am an atheist, I can still feel a deep respect for her passion and loyalty to her god; I also deeply respect her because she is able, unlike many, to have that much love for her god and still not hold it against me that I do not believe as she does. She understands my position where many do not.

On to the second of these strange happenings: two nights ago, I smoked marijuana with my roommates. I should mention that marijuana does not cause hallucinations, as this will be important later. Midway through smoking, a male voice just says, "Stop." I was compelled to obey and lay down my pipe. The voice was not in my head, but rather was a sort of sound that filled the entire room. The strange thing is that none of my other roommates heard it; I also do not have any history of psychological problems or auditory hallucinations. That night, I had a lot of really weird dreams involving varying Christian imagery and symbols.

The last, and most disturbing, of these occurrences happened this morning. I woke up with blood red marking on my palms, the backs of my hands, and the topside and undersides of my feet. I'm sure you can imagine what I immediately thought of when I saw that. After I saw those markings, I started to freak out until this really strange calming presence washed over me and the marks faded to nothing. I did some research and have found that others have had this experience called "stigmata", though the others involved actual blood. There was no blood in my experience. Shortly after, the girl I mentioned called me up again and told me that she was compelled to invite me to church that weekend. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't mainly motivated to acquiesce because I am attracted to her, but it all seems far too strange to ignore.

So, my question is... what are your thoughts on this? I mean... I still have a lot of philosophical and logical mind blocks that would prevent me from ever fully believing in the Bible and mainstream Christianity, but these experiences are something I cannot ignore.

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone,

If you've read any of my posts in the past, you likely know that I am what is called an agnostic atheist. This means that I do not hold a belief in any particular god or gods, but also do not believe that a god doesn't exist. I just don't know one way or another. So, I suppose I am what you all in the Christian community might call a "wayward soul".

Anyway, lately, I've been having some very strange experiences that I cannot comfortably chalk up to coincidence. I will share the first of these experiences after providing a little background history.

There is this girl at my college that I used to take a martial arts class with. I am currently a senior; it was sophomore year that we took the class together. We developed a strong friendship very quickly; if you've ever taken martial arts, you may know that throwing and being thrown around by someone of the opposite sex three times a week tends to build up some sexual tension. I was single at the time, but this girl had a boyfriend at a military academy many miles away. So, one night, this tension exploded. I stopped myself from going *too* far with this girl, but the damage was done to our friendship and we haven't really spoken that much since, though now we are both single.

So, on to the weirdness: I've been mentally and spiritually lost in this fog lately. I am unable to concentrate on my academic studies or motivate myself to do much of anything other than creative writing and playing bass. That may just be senioritis, but I've been having these weird thoughts lately that there has to be something out there that "started" all of this. I've been so consumed with these thoughts that it has lead to my absent-mindedness and aforementioned lethargy.

So, one day, I decide to start exploring religion again. I pick up my NIV Bible and start reading, plugging all the way through Genesis in one sitting. The strange thing is, right as I finished, the girl I mentioned calls me up. I forgot to mention that this girl is a very fervent Christian. She tells me that she doesn't know why, but God gave her the feeling that she should call me. This severely disturbs me; I didn't share that sentiment with her, but we conversed for awhile and caught up on things. I should also mention that I still harbor a strong attraction to this girl. Even though I am an atheist, I can still feel a deep respect for her passion and loyalty to her god; I also deeply respect her because she is able, unlike many, to have that much love for her god and still not hold it against me that I do not believe as she does. She understands my position where many do not.

On to the second of these strange happenings: two nights ago, I smoked marijuana with my roommates. I should mention that marijuana does not cause hallucinations, as this will be important later. Midway through smoking, a male voice just says, "Stop." I was compelled to obey and lay down my pipe. The voice was not in my head, but rather was a sort of sound that filled the entire room. The strange thing is that none of my other roommates heard it; I also do not have any history of psychological problems or auditory hallucinations. That night, I had a lot of really weird dreams involving varying Christian imagery and symbols.

The last, and most disturbing, of these occurrences happened this morning. I woke up with blood red marking on my palms, the backs of my hands, and the topside and undersides of my feet. I'm sure you can imagine what I immediately thought of when I saw that. After I saw those markings, I started to freak out until this really strange calming presence washed over me and the marks faded to nothing. I did some research and have found that others have had this experience called "stigmata", though the others involved actual blood. There was no blood in my experience. Shortly after, the girl I mentioned called me up again and told me that she was compelled to invite me to church that weekend. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't mainly motivated to acquiesce because I am attracted to her, but it all seems far too strange to ignore.

So, my question is... what are your thoughts on this? I mean... I still have a lot of philosophical and logical mind blocks that would prevent me from ever fully believing in the Bible and mainstream Christianity, but these experiences are something I cannot ignore.

Well you know it's very difficult for someone to understand the reality of your own personal experiences. It's not every person who experiences stigmata or such powerful coincidence that seems to be God's work, but I would say for whatever reason it might be (and it seems to be outside your control), you're experiencing something of a Christian nature. Because I'm Christian and I absolutely love God and wish that everyone would come to know Him, I would say that you should take up your friend's offer and go to church with her. If it truly is God's work in your life, you could find that even by listening to what God says when His Holy Spirit speaks through the pastor, maybe a light will go on and you could realize that your philosophical and logical roadblocks aren't actually roadblocks, but certain characteristics unique to you that God can use to His advantage. I wouldn't say it is wise to deny God's calling if you feel you are being called, it's not every person who He deems worthy of a special approach and He's certainly not going to force you into faith if it is something you don't want. But certainly check out what it is that He's offering you before you decide to reject it.

Upvote 0

BreadAlone

Hylian Knight
Aug 11, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Visit site
✟21,772.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
God works through the Gospel, and it's there already in Genesis.

It is certainly interesting to hear of your tale, though of course we cannot measure or verify the significance of your experience; only you can do that. What I can tell you that the Holy Spirit works through the Gospel, and you read Gospel in Genesis. He works even as we are resisting Him. Resist Him too long, though, and your heart might be hardened irreparably.

Upvote 0

Key

The Opener of Locks
Apr 10, 2004
Visit site
✟19,007.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you said, you prayed and nothing happened, people would just accept it..

So, Why do we find it so strange that when you don't pray, sometimes things happen?

There are more things in Heaven and Earth then can be put in test tubes.

Maybe it's time for you to explore that avenue.

I wish you the best.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

rejectreality

Feb 14, 2005
✟15,531.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well Sir, I'm no expert on matters of religion and I'm not any sort of intelligent on how God works. That being said...

Sounds like a wakeup call to me. I am not going to tell you why it wasn't God, because God works in what ways He will. If He audibly spoke to you, count yourself among the luckiest and most honored of all people. There are thousands of God fearing, Bible believing Christians who would love to hear God audibly speak. Personally, I'd be terrified if God spoke audibly to me!

The marks on your hands and feet, this sort of "Stigmata" you experienced, could absolutely be real. I'm not terribly superstitious about things like this, but God uses what He knows will make us listen. If the red marks you experienced woke you up, then it may well have been God telling you to listen up. He has a purpose for us, and He might be trying to tell you yours.

The girl side of the story doesn't surprise me in the least. I'm with my fiance for the exact same reasons, or more, same circumstance. Long lost friends, calls me up out of the blue just when I was praying to God about the trials of life, and boom! Now we're to be wed and she has made me a better man and stronger believer in Christ. When you fall crazy in love with the woman you're supposed to be with, you finally understand how Christ loves His church. This small and simple understanding can truly open your eyes to how we are called to live and how we are called to love. Having the right person at your side makes the walk easier, in my lowly opinion anyhow.

I say pray about it, talk to the girl, read your bible and stay alert. Keep an open mind and open heart and you might be amazed at how God moves you. Good luck, Sir, and God bless!

Upvote 0

AlexBP

Apr 20, 2010
Virginia
✟10,340.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Hi Evan. A lot of the things that you wrote here sound remarkably similar to experiences that I went through while in school, and this paragraph in particular stuck out when I read it. I studied mathematics. When I first arrived at school, I was completely gung ho about it, couldn't wait to start doing serious mathematics and research, anxious to make my own contribution to the edifice of human knowledge. That lasted for a couple years, but eventually I came to realize that everything I was doing was busywork and that none of my research would ever make a positive contribution to human well-being on earth.

I became depressed and lethargic about that for a time, but it was around the same time in my life that Jesus Christ began reaching out to me and showing me that there was a purpose to my life beyond drinking, partying, and proving meaningless theorems. I began reading some of the great Christian authors and speaking with other people about my feelings, philosophy, and ethics. Through that I began to understand that much of my worldview was incorrect. Then, when I read the gospels, I learned that God's purpose was for us to love God and each other, and thereby prepare ourselves for eternal life. As for the issue of philosophical and logical roadblocks, I had plenty at the start, but the more I learned, the more I found that what I perceived as roadblocks were actually building blocks of a sound, strong, and logical way of life.

Here are two books which we helped me out a great deal in that period, and which I'm sure would help you if you read them:

Orthodoxy, by G. K. Chesterton

A Guide for the Perplexed, by E. F. Schumacher

Upvote 0

Bear.Fr00t

Fruit Inspector
May 5, 2010
✟16,022.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Wow, that's certainly quite an experience! After reading I'd say God is inviting you into a relationship with Him. He really wants you to know Him. My advice is to definitely go to church and read your Bible (primarily the New Testament). If this is God (and it certainly seems like it is) then kick back and enjoy the ride, it will be the remarkable thing that happens in your life....seriously.

Upvote 0