thoughts on free will and election

zaida

Dec 14, 2011
✟8,219.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
as I posted on another forum - thought Id get your thoughts! copied and pasted.

the RC Church believes in both election and free will though people explain it differently

Thomists - God puts efficacious grace into the hearts of certain people...efficacious is not the same as irresistible, people can still refuse the grace, with their free will, or is it irresistible? Some things Ive read imply that nobody can resist efficacious grace, which sounds Calvinist....those who do not have efficacious grace cannot choose God and cannot be saved. We don't know why God chooses some for this type of grace, and we don't know how many God chooses. (It could be the vast majority of mankind, or a smaller number) One of the criticisms of Thomism is the smaller role free will seems to play.

Molinist - God sees who will accept or reject his graces, freely. Because of this foreknowledge He then puts efficacious grace into those who he fore knows will accept Him. Or as some define this - He sees who would completely and totally reject Him - and those He leaves alone. Everyone else gets the grace they can then choose to respond to. Mans free will has more place in this system, though one critique would be that free will precedes grace. Another way I have seen this explained - sufficient grace "becomes" efficacious by mans free choice.

In both the Thomist and Molinist school of thought there is the possibility that God has granted efficacious grace to those who are not "visibly" in the RC Church. So, for example, one raised in the Muslim faith, who follows his conscience, and responds to God as much he can "might" still be saved, as Jesus works in his heart, and offers him graces.

Election - Clark Pinnock (protestant) has a different view of election - he believes when God talks about the "elect" He is referring to those such as the Israelis, Abraham, people who were given a special role in salvation history, but this in no way means that salvation is "only" offered to these people. So, the Jews were the elect people, and possibly those who explicitly understand and know Christ now, but its because we have a special role in working with Jesus for the salvation of all nations - and others of other faiths might be saved, through Jesus, and through our special role. (Is this ok to believe as a roman catholic?) Pinnock thinks there was a mistake made when theologians started talking about the word "elect" as if it meant "those saved".

Karl Barth - as far as I can understand - believed that the "elect" refers to Jesus himself - he was the elect, taking on all sin into himself, and dying in it, for us - for every human being - I'm still trying to understand Barth, lol!

Peter Kreeft - I love this - he discusses free will and predestination in relation to a "story" (he compares to Shakespeare). In every great story, there is destination and a sense of purpose and control - but all great characters seem to have free will as well.You know a poorly written story when the characters are "wooden". (Authors talk about characters starting to "take control", Ive seen other authors refer to this). Kreeft says this all links together through "love".

Any thoughts welcome!
smiley.gif

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
NAB SIR 15:11 Man's Free Will.

Say not: "It was God's doing that I fell away"; for what he hates he does not do. Say not: "It was he who set me astray"; for he has no need of wicked man. Abominable wickedness the LORD hates, he does not let it befall those who fear him. When God, in the beginning, created man, he made him subject to his own free choice. If you choose you can keep the commandments; it is loyalty to do his will. There are set before you fire and water; to whichever you choose, stretch forth your hand. Before man are life and death, whichever he chooses shall be given him.

Hello Zaida,

In Sirach 15 God assures us that it is man who has free will to choose whether or not he wants eternal life.

JOB 38 tells us that the 'sons of God', who are the saints, shouted for joy as God was bringing creation into existence. How can this be? Well God, and the saints who are eternally begotten of God, exist in the Spiritual realm outside of, and omni-present to, the whole of physical time, which God created physical time. Think of physical time, from infinite past to infinite future, as a ball in God's hands.

Upon Judgement Day, all of mankind will be judged into heaven or hell according to their free willed choices on earth. Those who are eternally begotten of God, into spiritual eternal life, now live outside of physical time from infinitely before creation to infinitely beyond the end of physical time.

In Deuteronomy 32, God tells us that He arranges the 'sons of God', in physical time, according to their full number. So here is the timeline, people use free will to choose God's will, which is love for God, to go to heaven through Jesus. Those who are judged into eternal life, by Jesus, through His blood, now live in heaven spiritually from before God brought physical creation into existence. God sets up creation according to the full number of saints in heaven, who live in heaven from the end of physical time to infinitely before creation, in physical time.

Spiritual beings, including saints, live omni-present to the whole of God's physical time.

Please visit: Creation
Please visit: Jesus loves God

NAB JOB 38:7

Where were you when I founded the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding. Who streched out the measuring line for it? Into what were its pedestals sunk, and who laid the cornerstone, While the morning stars sang in chorus and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

NAB DEU 32:8

When the Most High assigned the nations their heritage, when he parceled out the descendants of Adam, He set up the boundaries of the peoples after the number of the sons of God; While the LORD’S own portion was Jacob,His hereditary share was Israel.

NAB WIS 5:5

See how he is accounted among the sons of God; how his lot is with the saints!

In questioning Jesus about the resurrection, Jesus assures us that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are not dead but alive in heaven. While Jesus is physically alive, before His death and resurrection in physical time, he talks to Elijah and Moses. If Jesus had not yet died for Abraham and Moses sins, how can they already be alive in heaven? The answer is that, at the end of physical time, Abraham and Moses are judged into eternal life through Jesus and now live in the spiritual realm from before physical creation. Jesus tells us that when it comes to the resurrection of the dead, you simply do not understand the tremendous Power of God.

NAB MAR 12:18

Then some Sadducees who hold there is no resurrection came to him with a question ...\\...12:24 Jesus said: "You are badly misled, because you fail to understand the Scriptures or the power of God . When people rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage but live like angels in heaven. As to the raising of the dead, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the passage about the burning bush, how God told him, 'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob'? He is the God of the living not of the dead, You are very much mistaken."

NAB MAR 9:2

After six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John and led them up a high mountain apart by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, and his clothes became dazzling white, such as no fuller on earth could bleach them. Then Elijah appeared to them along with Moses, and they were conversing with Jesus.

Upvote 0