Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
A close friend died last weekend and I put some thoughts down on paper to help work through the grieving process. The Lutheran theology on baptism is almost the most wonderful thing - Holy Baptism itself being the top.

Death, Water, and Praise

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

+Pax

DeerGlow

User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
A close friend died last weekend and I put some thoughts down on paper to help work through the grieving process. The Lutheran theology on baptism is almost the most wonderful thing - Holy Baptism itself being the top.

Death, Water, and Praise

+Pax
Baptist sliding in here....

Lutherans believe Jesus went to Hell? Or Sheol maybe? Why, if you don't mind me asking?

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Baptist sliding in here....

Lutherans believe Jesus went to Hell? Or Sheol maybe? Why, if you don't mind me asking?
Yep. Sorta. Sheol/Hades, yes. Gehenna, I don't believe so (in part because technically Gehenna hasn't been created yet iirc).

Here's two brief Lutheran things about the descent and how it occurred: Epitome of the Formula of Concord.
Solid Declaration of the Formula of Concord.

To answer the why though, I'd actually recommend this from the Catholic Catechism. There's bible verses at the bottom and it's easier to link to that than to re-type everything haha.

Two other Lutheran videos on the topic (because I'd rather give too much info than not enough haha):
short video
long video (this covers some other topics too)

Last edited:
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

DeerGlow

User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,021.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Death, Water, and Praise

+Pax

Very sorry to hear of the death of your friend. Still, I'm glad to hear you take comfort in God's eternal promise through his Word and Holy Baptism. Although we are right to mourn, as Christ himself mourned, we don't mourn as those who have no hope, and this is evident from your own post. :)

I like Isaiah 57:1-2, though its wider context is about Israel's idolatry, I think these verses could also be understood in this way: For people who are counted righteous in Christ - not with a righteousness from ourselves that comes from the law, but one that comes from Christ through faith - that who can understand when the righteous die? Who takes it to heart? It shows that God is merciful in calling his people out of the calamities of this world, and this in itself is a good and joyous thing. Not to mention the adoptionship and glory in Christ! But I know you know about these things. :)

I think in one sense, Lutherans talk quite freely about baptism as we have a clear understanding of it as a means of God's grace; vis., a baptism into Christ, in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. However, what I've learnt from talking with others who hold to Zwinglian ideas of baptism (which I used to believe too), I always feel the need to constantly remind people that baptism is apprehended through faith. I think your post is wonderfully true! - My only suggestion would be to never seize explaining that God's grace through baptism, a divine mystery, is not some work outside of faith, but it's faith in the word of God and the water. Even though this is apparent within the Lutheran understanding of baptism, unfortunately it's not always so clear to our friends in other denominations.

I know you actually explain all of this in your post, so it's not like I'm adding anything. :) However, because of the many strange preconceptions about baptism out there, I always feel the need to add the word "faith" to "baptism". Just as it's written: "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."

God bless, sir.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Very sorry to hear of the death of your friend. Still, I'm glad to hear you take comfort in God's eternal promise through his Word and Holy Baptism. Although we are right to mourn, as Christ himself mourned, we don't mourn as those who have no hope, and this is evident from your own post. :)

I like Isaiah 57:1-2, though its wider context is about Israel's idolatry, I think these verses could also be understood in this way: For people who are counted righteous in Christ - not with a righteousness from ourselves that comes from the law, but one that comes from Christ through faith - that who can understand when the righteous die? Who takes it to heart? It shows that God is merciful in calling his people out of the calamities of this world, and this in itself is a good and joyous thing. Not to mention the adoptionship and glory in Christ! But I know you know about these things. :)

I think in one sense, Lutherans talk quite freely about baptism as we have a clear understanding of it as a means of God's grace; vis., a baptism into Christ, in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. However, what I've learnt from talking with others who hold to Zwinglian ideas of baptism (which I used to believe too), I always feel the need to constantly remind people that baptism is apprehended through faith. I think your post is wonderfully true! - My only suggestion would be to never seize explaining that God's grace through baptism, a divine mystery, is not some work outside of faith, but it's faith in the word of God and the water. Even though this is apparent within the Lutheran understanding of baptism, unfortunately it's not always so clear to our friends in other denominations.

I know you actually explain all of this in your post, so it's not like I'm adding anything. :) However, because of the many strange preconceptions about baptism out there, I always feel the need to add the word "faith" to "baptism". Just as it's written: "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."

God bless, sir.
Thank you for your thoughts! I'm a cradle Lutheran so I always appreciate hearing from those who converted from protestantism, so that I can be sure I explain things correctly.

And even if you aren't adding anything, you're restating the promises made to us in Baptism (through faith :) ) and that can never be overdone, it's something I need to hear every day, so thanks!

+Pax

• Friendly
Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0