Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, what ever would the angels have to do with this?

Well, the holy angels, to my knowledge, are perfectly submissive to God, all the time.

And therefore they are so powerful . . . since they are so submissive to God's almighty power.

So, if a lady is submissive to God, she is flowing with God's own almighty power and authority.

And power on her head could mean, then, how she is crowned with God's own ruling in His almighty power because she is submissive to Him and therefore to this power, so that all she does with God is in coordination with all that God knows He is doing and succeeding in doing, including with her.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been confused about this verse for awhile and never quite understood what it meant. I'd like to hear others thoughts on the matter.

“For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.”
— 1 Corinthians 11:10 (KJV)
Angels are tempted by woman's beauty.
The (physical) "glory" of a woman is her youthful vibrance and her hair.
So Paul says a woman should cover her hair so as to not tempt the angels.
The glory of the physical man is his age when he is prosperous and wise. He is also often bald by this time. So the glory of a man is not his hair, rather it is his (bald) head.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Angels are tempted by women's beauty.
The (physical) "glory" of a women is her youthful vibrance and her hair.
So Paul says a women should cover her hair so as to not tempt the angels.
The glory of the physical man is his age when he is prosperous and wise. He is also often bald by this time. So the glory of a man is not his hair, rather it is his (bald) head.
I don't think Paul's teaching on head covering has anything to do with angels being enticed by the beauty of human women.
It is about the symbolism of being under authority.

If you disagree can you specifically pinpoint anything in that chapter about angels having passions for human females?
And I am aware of Genesis 6:1-4 and the "sons of God" producing Nephilim (fallen ones) preceding the judgment of the flood of Noah.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I've been confused about this verse for awhile and never quite understood what it meant. I'd like to hear others thoughts on the matter.

“For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.”
8 For man does not originate from woman, but woman from man; 9 for indeed man was not created for the woman’s sake, but woman for the man’s sake. 10 Therefore the woman should have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels. 11 However, in the Lord, neither is woman independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. 12 For as the woman originated from the man, so also the man has his birth through the woman; and all things originate from God. 13 Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does even nature itself not teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him, 15 but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her? For her hair is given to her as a covering.

cultural practices about hair length and head covering during worship.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't think so-- they are not of the same species , have no hormones to drive them to mate with other species and as Christ points out in Matt 22 angels do not even mate within their own species - no family grouping.

What is more - the implication is that a women is ugly if she has a head covering (or at least is not attractive). I don't think that line of interpretation works very well.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think Paul's teaching on head covering has anything to do with angels being enticed by the beauty of human women.
It is about the symbolism of being under authority.

If you disagree can you specifically pinpoint anything in that chapter about angels having passions for human females?
And I am aware of Genesis 6:1-4 and the "sons of God" producing Nephilim (fallen ones) preceding the judgment of the flood of Noah.
Thanks for sharing!

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
8 For man does not originate from woman, but woman from man; 9 for indeed man was not created for the woman’s sake, but woman for the man’s sake. 10 Therefore the woman should have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels. 11 However, in the Lord, neither is woman independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. 12 For as the woman originated from the man, so also the man has his birth through the woman; and all things originate from God. 13 Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does even nature itself not teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him, 15 but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her? For her hair is given to her as a covering.

cultural practices about hair length and head covering during worship.
Excellent.

Just as we should generalize 1rst Corinthians chapter 8 (and Romans chapter 14) to get the principle(s) instead of only specific examples alone, to apply to us today...so, also, this passage has a generalization and it seems to me we can get at the general principle.

It comes to mind a key thing is whether a person is trying to draw attention to themselves or is instead modest and humble in appearance and demeanor. So, it's not the numerical length of hair -- whether it's 2 inches or 4 inches isn't the key thing, but about how the hair is being used... Consider John the Baptist in the wilderness -- he'd not have a barber, and his hair may have gotten long. Is our clothing and appearance aimed to draw attention to ourselves to make our physical self the center of attention and focus? Or is instead our focus on the things of God? We know the way we are to be is humble and putting our gaze on Christ.... Do that, and our hair will worship God too.

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

JohnW87

Feb 22, 2022
Mcintosh
✟16,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Yes, what ever would the angels have to do with this?

Well, the holy angels, to my knowledge, are perfectly submissive to God, all the time.

And therefore they are so powerful . . . since they are so submissive to God's almighty power.

So, if a lady is submissive to God, she is flowing with God's own almighty power and authority.

And power on her head could mean, then, how she is crowned with God's own ruling in His almighty power because she is submissive to Him and therefore to this power, so that all she does with God is in coordination with all that God knows He is doing and succeeding in doing, including with her.
Hmm

Upvote 0

JohnW87

Feb 22, 2022
Mcintosh
✟16,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The (physical) "glory" of a woman is her youthful vibrance and her hair.
So Paul says a woman should cover her hair so as to not tempt the angels.
The passages in 1 cor 11 arent about a physical hair covering though its solely about hair

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Power" there means a sign of authority (head covering) over her.
God's order (the man is head of the woman) is to be maintained in the churches because it is to manifest God's wisdom to the angels
(Eph 3:10, Eph 6:12, 1 Tim 5:21, 1 Pe 1:12, Mt 18:10).

Last edited:
C
Clare73
Long hair was given to the woman as her covering (1 Co 11:15), as a sign of the authority of her husband over her, which is her glory in God's order of creation (1 Co 11:8-10), and in which God's wisdom is made manifest to the angels.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Many conclude that Paul means angels observe our public worship services. Since they are watching, it is important for women to be appropriate in covering their glory and not dishonoring their husbands.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Many conclude that Paul means angels observe our public worship services. Since they are watching, it is important for women to be appropriate in covering their glory and not dishonoring their husbands.
Long hair was given to the woman as her covering (1 Co 11:15), as a sign of the authority of her husband over her, which is her glory in God's order of creation (1 Co 11:8-10), in which God's wisdom is revealed to the angels.

We sit much too lightly to God's order of creation, and do so at the very peril of civilization.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnW87
Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟167,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

You received many opinions to your question. I'll add one more.

The seen & unseen (angles/watchers Dan 4:17) were a common belief/understanding among the Jews.

A bit of context on the angel verse you referenced:

1 Cor 11:10 (KJV) For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.
(MY NOTE: The word translates: power KJV, authority over NIV, sign of authority AMP, under authority ERV, a token of authority upon the head YLT.)

1 Cor chapter 11, a power structure/authority/order/rank is being taught. Verse 3 Paul say's; the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
(MY NOTE: Authority/order/rank God the Father, God the Son, man/husband, woman/wife.)

The veil & coverings were (in antiquity) a customary token/emblem of modesty & subordination. Removing them was considered indecent & showed a lack of proper respect to her husband, father & man in general.

Example:

Gen 24:65 She said to the servant, “Who is that man there walking across the field to meet us?” And the servant said, “He is my master [Isaac].” So she took a veil and covered herself [as was customary].
Source link Bible Gateway passage: Genesis 24 - Amplified Bible

During the time of Paul's Church building in Corinth. Women's rights were culturally, socially & politically oppressed. Woman were'nt allowed to partake in public debate.

Paul's conundrum was the places he was establishing churches were under Rome's rule/control/laws. This problem speaks volumes to his writing that women remain silent or to get with their husband later. If he advised people to break laws the Churches wouldn't have been allowed to meet.

Corinth was a major trading hub & idol worship was rampant during the time (Acts 17:16-23).

Peoples from many regions & religions came to trade here. A sanctuary was in Corinth dedicated to an idol goddess, Aphrodite. Prostitution was a well known attraction & the women of the night dressed for the occasion.

Women of the time (culturally) wore a head covering. However, ladies of the night, not so much!. No head covering, gold (or fancy) ribbons, pins, excessive makeup etc. Were trade advertisements. Christianity was in it's infancy, the message was, this is God's house there is an acceptable order of things, dress accordingly.