USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He seems to be relating that he hopes to be alive at the coming of Christ.

At that time those who are dead will be raised. Those who are still alive will not have to die.

Martha was familiar with the resurrection at the last day. Jesus underscores He is the basis of it.
Yes,......but we must all be alive at the coming of Christ.......afterwhich we shall not see death. we must die now....and be able to say...no more I, but Christ that liveth..... If we die before dying.....Im afraid there will be little hope for us.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you be clear about what you are saying please...

What are your expectations when your time is up...

What do you expect to experience...

What will be happening to your body, soul ad spirit?
We shall be changed....in a moment. Pass from death to life. And the living will never die again.... nay even the thought of death becomes an impossibility.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,460.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We shall be changed....in a moment. Pass from death to life. And the living will never die again.... nay even the thought of death becomes an impossibility.

I think this a a matter of defining death...

Most of the Apostles all died hideous deaths.

Of course at that instant they, and we all, pass from death into life...

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think this a a matter of defining death...

Of course at that instant they, and we all, pass from death into life...
The words I sent were from the mouth of the Savior. We can choose to Live, and not die, like Jesus said.......Or die like the Apostles died.

I find no fault in any path you chose to take. Life is not for everyone....and isnt as gratifying as it may sound.

Upvote 0

Back from Heaven

He's alive!
May 5, 2021
Lourdes
Visit site
✟907.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Burial results in a scattering over the years - which ever way He will gather the substance and form it into our resurrected body as happened in the tomb.

I have no reason to believe that Martyrs, burned at the stake, somehow miss out on being resurrected.

Hey Carl,

I don't pretend my point of view is an absolute truth but I'd like to share my feelings about this:
  1. Christians burnt at the stake or dying hideous deaths couldn't help it

2. Saying the body would end up fully decayed feels a bit similar to a person arguing they can commit suicide or murder because they or the person they want to kill will end up dying anyway

3. The body's decay is a natural process, not something that you do willingly to it

4. It feels in contradiction with “After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church” (Ephesians 5:29). Whether the body is dead or alive doesn't make a difference to me here

5. Your arguments overlook the fact that the body of a number of saints is known not to decay:
    https://www.churchpop.com/2018/09/27/6-incredible-saints-whose-bodies-are-incorrupt-where-you-can-find-them/

6. Last but not least, the mere fact that free masons, who are enemies of God, promote cremation makes it sound suspicious to me.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,460.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The words I sent were from the mouth of the Savior. We can choose to Live, and not die, like Jesus said.......Or die like the Apostles died.

I find no fault in any path you chose to take. Life is not for everyone....and isnt as gratifying as it may sound.

I wouldnt have thought Paul was in error in this regard - in fact he urged others to imitate him - given that this was an inspired request I am happy to follow his example.

Upvote 0

Back from Heaven

He's alive!
May 5, 2021
Lourdes
Visit site
✟907.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

Hi Raymond,
I can't find this in the Bible. Can you please indicate the verse reference?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wouldnt have thought Paul was in error in this regard - in fact he urged others to imitate him - given that this was an inspired request I am happy to follow his example.
Paul did not say to follow him blindly..... he urged us to follow only as he followed Christ.... I believe he would be disappointed if he heard one say they would ignore the words of christ, to follow the life and death of Paul.

"Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name."
1 Corinthians 1:12‭-‬15 KJV

Again, I find no fault in looking forward to death, just wanted to let you know that you don't have to...... if you believe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,460.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, I find no fault in looking forward to death, just wanted to let you know that you don't have to...... if you believe.

What do you believe death is?

What happens to the body, soul and spirit?

It is easier to respond to you when you disclose what you are talking about.

Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A topic rarely discussed...

I am 75 and expect another 20 years at least - my ancestors were long livers.

However, I put together this piece as one naturally ponders these things at this stage of life.

When it's time...

And the offering of my life seems far too small.
And the questions that beg, lose their strength for the last time.
And the light beyond the most distant star, beckons.
And there is no going back.

In that moment...

He takes over like I asked Him to.
Calling my spirit forth.
Calling what was always His.
And there is no going back.

At Last only Love...

What else could be needed
But total acceptance at last.
Total belonging at last.
Questions, pain, regret - gone.
Along with the me you knew.
And yes, I am new - and you will be too.

See you there...
Your poem is very good for two reasons: I'm a former English teacher, and I'm 78 years old!

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,460.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your poem is very good for two reasons: I'm a former English teacher, and I'm 78 years old!

Thank's Bruce - I was thrown out of school at 16 for refusing to sit School Certificate for he third time.
I remember getting just 51 for English and being told "We know that he is good for something but we don't know what !!!

Then I paid my own way into university at 28 having concluded that I was capable of a lot more than they led me to believe...

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you believe death is?

What happens to the body, soul and spirit?

It is easier to respond to you when you disclose what you are talking about.
Death is forgetting who you are. E.g. If we were to get hit in the head and forget all our memories.....The person we were has died.

Therefore, when we are born, we die...... We are to die again before the second death, to gain eternal life.....for there is no repentance in the grave.

After we pass from death to life.....are born from above....we shall die no more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everyone who dies, forget who they are......all is wiped away.... The only way to remain conscience is to lose consciousness...and then pass from death to life..... After this point....You never die again....and even the idea of it, becomes foreign.

"And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?"

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,460.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everyone who dies, forget who they are......all is wiped away.... The only way to remain conscience is to lose consciousness...and then pass from death to life..... After this point....You never die again....and even the idea of it, becomes foreign.

"And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?"

Are not the unsaved awoken to face judgement?

So much for asking Paul or Moses about this and that then, if we have no memory of this life... Where does scripture indicate this is the case?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are not the unsaved awoken to face judgement?

Yes this does happen.....I just happen to believe that this must happen before death.....after which we shall die no more. I believe it a mistake to look for these things after death.... But I find no fault in those who wish to press their luck and go into the point of no return.

So much for asking Paul or Moses about this and that then, if we have no memory of this life... Where does scripture indicate this is the case?

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."

"They are dead, they shall not live; they are deceased, they shall not rise: therefore hast thou visited and destroyed them, and made all their memory to perish."

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,460.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes this does happen.....I just happen to believe that this must happen before death.....after which we shall die no more. I believe it a mistake to look for these things after death.... But I find no fault in those who wish to press their luck and go into the point of no return.

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."

"They are dead, they shall not live; they are deceased, they shall not rise: therefore hast thou visited and destroyed them, and made all their memory to perish."

My approach in exegesis is to not allow one or two verses that seem to indicate a contrary perspective to drive a contrary perspective.

Upvote 0