Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just heard of a book: The Martyrdom of Thomas Merton: An Investigation By Hugh Turley and David Martin
I probablay wont read it but I will read all the reviews.

"In Part 3, entitled “The Enemies of the Truth,” Turley and Martin accuse Mott and other biographers as well as Merton’s monastic colleagues for selling Merton short. They contend that the United States government deemed Merton sufficiently dangerous that they plotted and carried out Merton’s death to silence his voice against war and for social justice. They conclude: Contrary to the common view, there is really no mystery about how Merton died. The best evidence indicates beyond any serious doubt that Merton was murdered. It’s a simple fact that the average person is far more likely to be murdered than to be killed by an electric fan, and Merton was no average person. The story that a fan killed Merton is so preposterous that a series of fantastic stories have had to be invented to make it believable. . . . Who did it and why? . . . The CIA had the motive and they had the means."

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I just heard of a book: The Martyrdom of Thomas Merton: An Investigation By Hugh Turley and David Martin
I probablay wont read it but I will read all the reviews.

"In Part 3, entitled “The Enemies of the Truth,” Turley and Martin accuse Mott and other biographers as well as Merton’s monastic colleagues for selling Merton short. They contend that the United States government deemed Merton sufficiently dangerous that they plotted and carried out Merton’s death to silence his voice against war and for social justice. They conclude: Contrary to the common view, there is really no mystery about how Merton died. The best evidence indicates beyond any serious doubt that Merton was murdered. It’s a simple fact that the average person is far more likely to be murdered than to be killed by an electric fan, and Merton was no average person. The story that a fan killed Merton is so preposterous that a series of fantastic stories have had to be invented to make it believable. . . . Who did it and why? . . . The CIA had the motive and they had the means."

If it was the CIA, they are far more able to cover up an assasination than the act of which they are accused. Electricity is dangerous. Electricity in 3rd world countries is even more dangerous. Statisitics are meaningless in this instance. If one person died ever by electrocution, it is possible that Merton died by electrocution. And yes, the CIA does assasinate people. So it is possible that Merton was assasinated. However, to claim that the mystery is solved is a bit of a stretch.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It’s a simple fact that the average person is far more likely to be murdered than to be killed by an electric fan, and Merton was no average person.

It's a theory. His death was odd, but on the other hand, electric fans have improved in the intervening decades. Further, he died outside the U.S., in a less technologically advanced country.

Upvote 0