Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seems like from October till after the year is just packed everywhere. It’s exhausting. I realize people are preparing for the holidays but I get some real anxiety going to the stores the end of the year! Anyone else have this struggle around this time?

Last edited:

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Seems like from October till after the year is just packed everywhere. It’s exhausting. I realize people are preparing for the holidays but I get some real anxiety going to the stores the end of the year! Anyone else have this struggle around this time?
I work in retail, and yes, I agree with you.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What I don't like is retail stores make the holidays all merge. I was in Costco the other day and it had Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas stuff up all at once. You barely get time to enjoy a holiday anymore; retail just rushes to the next sale. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, it's all about making money.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
What I don't like is retail stores make the holidays all merge. I was in Costco the other day and it had Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas stuff up all at once. You barely get time to enjoy a holiday anymore; retail just rushes to the next sale. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, it's all about making money.
That's the same where I work at. Apparently, they only have so much space for storage.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Try to get something you need from the actual holiday you are in the season of… pretty much gone. Same with gardening season. It’s crazy.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How did we allow ourselves to become so dependant?
I’m making ornaments as we post now. I have a bunch of broken antique stuff from estate sales and I’m upcycling.

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I’m making ornaments as we post now. I have a bunch of broken antique stuff from estate sales and I’m upcycling.
As I have become a broken antique myself, the desire to participate has waned considerably. But it was fun while it lasted.

• Haha
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
with the exception of a few toys for local charities, I tend to forgo most of the Materialism of the Christmas Holiday and focus instead on making it into a spiritual experience, using Advent as the preparation for the Mystical Coming of Christ, While I love the beautiful aspects of Christmas, the lights, music decorations of course, it is the SPiritual celebration that drives me now, not the material.

Upvote 0

partinobodycular

Jun 8, 2021
partinowherecular
✟88,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Other than a hardware store or a grocery store I haven't been to a store in 20 years. Haven't really noticed any big crowds on Amazon or Walmart.com, so I'm not sure what you people are complaining about. If you don't like crowded stores then don't go to stores.

• Haha
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Other than a hardware store or a grocery store I haven't been to a store in 20 years. Haven't really noticed any big crowds on Amazon or Walmart.com, so I'm not sure what you people are complaining about. If you don't like crowded stores then don't go to stores.
I do not use the internet to shop. I have my mother living with us and it’s a daily crapshoot on what is wanted or needed. But thanks for the friendly advice. ;)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It actually brings me joy to see stores busy with people celebrating Christmas. I would hate to go in stores and have them empty and devoid of people because Netflix was more important than preparing for a joyous holiday.
It can be too much of a good thing for me at times. I do not mind people are celebrating at all. I do mind feeling trapped inside a store with incredibly long lines, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It can be too much of a good thing for me at times. I do not mind people are celebrating at all. I do mind feeling trapped inside a store with incredibly long lines, etc.
Maybe just reframe your point of view - you're not really trapped. You can walk out at any time just like you walked in....

Might be inconvenient, might be annoying after the time you spent etc but these are choices whereas a 'trap' is not by choice.

Sometimes helps to not shop at peak hours, too, e.g. closer to closing time or as early as possible and avoid weekends.

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also, not trying to dismiss or diminish your point of view with solutions you didn't ask for, so hope you don't take it that way!

These things have helped my mom and mother in law who both revert to stress mode under circumstances where there are more people than they are comfortable with for whatever reason.

Exposure therapy and change in mindset has gone a long way towards helping them manage their emotions so thought I'd share.

Feel free to take on board or dismiss!

Upvote 0