✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

And

A heatwave that hit Siberia this summer may have unleashed a horde of long-frozen bacteria that now threatens the entire region. An outbreak of anthrax in western Siberia has claimed the lives of 1,500 reindeer since July 24, and 40 Yamal nomads, including four children, have been hospitalized. Some reports say that a 12-year-old boy has died.

'Zombie' Anthrax Outbreak In Siberia Blamed On Thawed-Out Infected Reindeer Corpse

Sibera is permafrost
There are diseases hidden in ice, and they are waking up
Long-dormant bacteria and viruses, trapped in ice and permafrost for centuries
There are diseases hidden in ice, and they are waking up

Are viruses and other microbes in the ice a potential threat to human health?

So yes, viruses and bacteria are present in ancient ice, including the ice patches where we work. This is backed by solid science. The second part of the question is then: Are they a potential threat to human health? There is no clear science here yet. Jean-Michel Claverie and Chantal Abergel, of the Aix-Marseille University School of Medicine in France, are concerned that rising temperatures could lead to ancient, but still infectious viruses thawing out of the ice. They believe this could potentially be a threat to human health.

Can deadly virus and microbes survive in the ice? - Secrets of the Ice

Fires melt permafrost

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But a watchman is suppose to be awake

Actually I've already given my warning and my advice. From the link,

"If dark smoke particles settle onto Arctic sea ice, that will cause it to absorb more of the sun’s energy, potentially speeding up melting. But most of the smoke from the recent transpolar crossing appears to have stayed high up in the atmosphere, says Mark Parrington, a senior scientist with the Copernicus Atmospheric Monitoring Service (CAMS), who tracks global fire activity. There, he says, it temporarily reduces the amount of sunlight hitting the surface, leading to a short-term, localized cooling effect."

I have suggested using this phenomenon* to effect global cooling many times in these forums, usually met with derision (likely by those who want a high-tech solution to global warming).

*Use dead trees for fuel, replacing some fossil fuels, then release the ash into the stratosphere to effect global cooling.

All organic matter that decomposes above ground, as do most dead trees, gives up it's carbon to the atmosphere as co2. Burning is 'chemical' oxidation, while decomposition is 'biological' oxidation, and although slower releases the same amount of co2. And, based on the enormous amount of decaying trees as compared to those burning in wildfires I suspect the production of co2 could be comparable.

Wildfires are a total waste of valuable "fuel wood", wood that could be burned much more cleanly, and would replace some fossil fuels as well. Let's get those prisoners out into the fresh air to harvest this neglected resource.

Now if you don't mind, it's nap time. :sleep:

P.S. I'm doing my part. Wood harvest from dead trees, to be burned in my fireplace on those cold winter evenings. :holy:

P.P.S. All wood cut using cordless chain saw; no fumes, no noise.

IMG_2720.JPG

Firewood-2020.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0