This Is Why My Children Play with Sticks, Rocks and Dirt.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now available to induce hysteria in United States parents: it’s the Breast Milk Baby Doll. It’s made by Berjuan, a Spanish company which appears to specialize in creepy playthings, and is called “BEBÉ GLOTÓN” in its native country (I only took one year of Spanish, but that’s weird, right?). It’s designed to teach girls about breastfeeding.
It comes with a special halter top that has two flowers where nipples would be. When a little girl puts on the top and holds the baby doll up the flowers, it makes suckling sounds.
Oh, me oh my. As a mother of eight who breastfed them all, here are my thoughts:

—If we had this doll, we’d lose the shirt part within 24 hours, and Baby Glutton would have to take his chances along with all the other dozens of hungry dolls we own.

—I don’t like baby dolls that are too realistic, because they also teach you that you can take the batteries out and the thing will stop crying—or that you can chuck it under your bed with a clean conscience. I prefer dolls that are very clearly toys.

—Kids who actually live in houses where breastfeeding occurs will often yank up their own T-shirts to “nurse” their dolls, or even their baby siblings. This behavior is unprompted and devastatingly adorable, end of discussion.

—Never underestimate a child’s capacity for getting confused. Just as some children who witness actual breastfeeding conclude that Mama’s belly button or shoulder produces milk, or that infants enjoy the taste of human flesh, some children who play with this doll will learn that babies eat halter tops. So its educational value is dubious.

—I guess I can imagine this toy making a previously innocent child unhealthily aware of her own or someone else’s body, but I think it’s more likely to skeeve out adults, or arouse teenage boys and perverts.

No matter how you feel about breastfeeding, I don’t think you should be offended or scandalized by this doll. I do, however, think it’s dumb.

Read more: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/this-is-why-my-children-play-with-rocks-and-dirt#ixzz1SbslFIav

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Isn't it possible a child whose mother is breast feeding, might want to do the same?; understand why mom can and she can't....just because it exists, doesn't mean it is wrong or weird, etc....
dolls wet pants, change diaper, give bottle...etc. ok, but breast feeding isn't?

Upvote 0

epiclesis

Legend
Sep 29, 2003
Oregon
✟52,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Isn't it possible a child whose mother is breast feeding, might want to do the same?; understand why mom can and she can't....just because it exists, doesn't mean it is wrong or weird, etc....
dolls wet pants, change diaper, give bottle...etc. ok, but breast feeding isn't?

i think they are all disturbing if they take on human functions.

Upvote 0