This is what happens when bigotry dominates the main conservative media platform

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
An example of critical thinking applied to a problem that clearly required it. And, are there really that many such problems? Most problems are pretty simple to figure out.
The law of non contradiction states that if something is true, the opposite is false.

Example:
1. A dog cannot be a dog and a non-dog at the same time and in the sam relationship.

2. I am a father and all also a brother, but not in the same relationship.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why not? That's easy. It's because "certainty" can be overdone. (It can be underdone, too, but that is generally less of an issue.) As Mark Twain probably never said, but could have, "It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
Or, as I recall of a character from some book or TV show whose title I do not remember, he was widely regarded to be "Often wrong, but never uncertain."

Well then, the solution to that is to just do away with certainty altogether.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Why not provide certainty for our kids, as parents and teachers.
Because we would do better to provide the skills they need to deal with real life, where there is often very little certainty

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
An example of critical thinking applied to a problem that clearly required it. And, are there really that many such problems? Most problems are pretty simple to figure out, like if you want a clean lake you should cut the weeds. :D
This has nothing to do with the actual topic of this thread.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
No, all we have to do is disgard the pretense that certainty is always possible.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ambiguity: doubtfulness or uncertainty of meaning or intention.

In the aftermath of Floyd’s death, a dozen elected leaders of the GOP wrote or retweeted racist memes and conspiracy theories. Comal County Republican Party Chair Sue Gafford Piner propagated the idea that philanthropist George Soros is funding a race war. Bexar County GOP Chair Cynthia Brehm suggested that Floyd's death was staged to hurt President Trump’s reelection chances. Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller wrote that the civil rights protesters are “domestic terrorists who were organized and paid for by George Soros...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...deaf50-a9ba-11ea-a9d9-a81c1a491c52_story.html

....the intent of those Texas GOP leaders is clear to me...

Upvote 0

Evan Jellicoe

Aug 2, 2016
downstate Illinois
✟22,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
To an ordinary person who appreciates logic, the solution to excessive certainty is not to do away with certainty altogether, but to practice humility and acknowledge that there could be times when something that makes perfect sense to me might in fact be mistaken. Since children are far more prone to excessive certainty than mature adults are, it makes sense to teach them to deal with ambiguity (while emphasizing that "dealing with ambiguity" does not in any way demand that all things be treated as ambiguous. Wisdom and discernment are required.)

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Because we would do better to provide the skills they need to deal with real life, where there is often very little certainty

There actually is certainty in life, but it often requires more time and planning to develop. A detour doesn't mean that you won't be arriving at your destination.

I was certain that I would become a millionaire, but uncertain as to the time frame.

When I was young I noticed that it usually took about two years for me to accomplish something that I wanted. But as I got older it took even longer. Because of this I developed a strong sense of patience which has served me well. When this pandemic (another detour) has passed I'll continue to pursue some things, with the certainty, that I will accomplish them, barring death or dismemberment of course.

Everyone is pretty much responsible for the certainty or uncertainty in their lives.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
There actually is certainty in life, but it often requires more time and planning to develop. A detour doesn't mean that you won't be arriving at your destination.

I was certain that I would become a millionaire, but uncertain as to the time frame.

When I was young I noticed that it usually took about two years for me to accomplish something that I wanted. But as I got older it took even longer. Because of this I developed a strong sense of patience which has served me well. When this pandemic (another detour) has passed I'll continue to pursue some things, with the certainty, that I will accomplish them, barring death or dismemberment of course.
I have no idea how any of that relates to what I posted.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To an ordinary person who appreciates logic, the solution to excessive certainty is not to do away with certainty altogether, but to practice humility and acknowledge that there could be times when something that makes perfect sense to me might in fact be mistaken. Since children are far more prone to excessive certainty than mature adults are, it makes sense to teach them to deal with ambiguity (while emphasizing that "dealing with ambiguity" does not in any way demand that all things be treated as ambiguous. Wisdom and discernment are required.)

Uncertainty isn't a really big deal to most. Most are pretty certain about most things (even if wrong).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The law of non contradiction states that if something is true, the opposite is false.

Example:
1. A dog cannot be a dog and a non-dog at the same time and in the sam relationship.

2. I am a father and all also a brother, but not in the same relationship.

Shouldn't we be using our intellect for more important things?

Upvote 0

Evan Jellicoe

Aug 2, 2016
downstate Illinois
✟22,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Uncertainty isn't a really big deal to most. Most are pretty certain about most things (even if wrong).
Perfectly true, and that matches what I said, but I wasn't responding to that. I was responding to:
Why not provide certainty for our kids, as parents and teachers.
. . .and providing a reasonable answer to that question.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don't you mean they are the largest market for textbooks?
Yes, and because of their numbers clout, they control what is included and excluded for states not them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, all we have to do is disregard the pretense that certainty is always possible.

I don't think anyone believes that certainty is always possible. But with planning and commitment it is mostly possible. If I weren't certain about most things I wouldn't even get out of bed in the morning.

Contingency plans add certainty. For example I am 100 percent certain that I will work outdoors if weather permits. But I'm also 100 percent certain that I will work indoors if the weather is bad. Either way is certain and the work gets done.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Uncertainty isn't a really big deal to most.
Most people I've seen get stressed out over uncertainty; they don't handle it well.
Most are pretty certain about most things (even if wrong).
Sure, that's how they deal with uncertainty - suppression.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Most people I've seen get stressed out over uncertainty; they don't handle it well.
Sure, that's how they deal with uncertainty - suppression.

When I was young anyone who was certain about anything was looked upon as if they had two heads.

Upvote 0