Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Reading your headline, I assumed this was about something I wrote.

The Fentanyl crisis is about opioid abusers mixing Heroin and Fentanyl.
Cannabis use reduces opioid addiction problems, which is why it is gaining support.

It struck me as funny. Who in the drug using community doesn't know how deadly this stuff is. Yet they keep using it. :swoon:

And we run around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to save them. :doh:

If someone is hell bent on death, have at it I say. :D

I support legalizing pot, and voted so on our ballot referendum last Tuesday. It is gaining lots of support nation wide. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
  • Friendly
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Was the reference to the FDA another attempt at "tongue in cheek"?

I suspect he meant DEA. But it's very much a Customs issue, too.

This info from the article is instructive:

In September, for example, U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents seized 52 pounds of powdered fentanyl at the Pine Valley checkpoint near San Diego — and that wasn't a record. In December, officers discovered nearly 80 pounds in a college student's car.

This summer, authorities discovered 20,000 fentanyl pills in a hidden compartment of a Mini Cooper at the San Ysidro checkpoint — a week after confiscating 11,500 pills in another vehicle.

Justifying the border wall as a way to mitigate drug smuggling is a canard. The vast majority of illegal drugs are smuggled in through legal ports of entry. The big cartels want to get quantity into the US--not the piddly amounts someone can carry in a backpack.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I suspect he meant DEA. But it's very much a Customs issue, too.

I meant FDA. As drug use is an accepted part of American culture now we deserve some quality control.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I meant FDA. As drug use is an accepted part of American culture now we deserve some quality control.

You mean government regulation? You've got the wrong president for that kind of talk...

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Americans should be safe taking their drugs. Where is the FDA when we need them? :mad:

Fentanyl smuggled from China is killing thousands of Americans

I don't think the FDA has any jurisdiction over illegally smuggled drugs. But I get the point. If you hadn't heard, earlier this month the FDA approved sufetanil (under the band name Dsuvia.) It's a fentanyl analogue that's 5-10 times more potent on a weight basis. Unlike fentanyl, which must be injected, or slowly released through a skin patch, Dsuvia can be absorbed quickly under the tongue. Supposedly, it will only be sold to hospitals, surgery centers, the military for battlefield use, and to EMS personnel to be given to accident victims. But you know that an opiate this potent will eventually find a way into the drug abuse arena.

Statement from FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb, M.D., on agency’s approval of Dsuvia and the FDA’s future consideration of new opioids

• Informative
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It struck me as funny. Who in the drug using community doesn't know how deadly this stuff is. Yet they keep using it. :swoon:

And we run around like chickens with their heads cut off trying to save them. :doh:

I support legalizing pot, and voted so on our ballot referendum last Tuesday. It is gaining lots of support nation wide. :)

...when it comes to younger people taking the harder drugs, we can actually lay part of the blame at the feet of those who were so bent on keeping people away from pot, that they lied to kids and tried to tell them it was just as dangerous as the harder stuff.

When kids are told "Pot is extremely dangerous", and then they try it and realize it isn't, they're not going to believe the adults when they tell them about the other drugs.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

They don't know they're getting fentanyl most of the time. It's not like they're choosing it Old guy.

Edit- What's funny about people dying of addiction?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They don't know they're getting fentanyl most of the time. It's not like they're choosing it Old guy.

I think they accept the risk that any drug bought 'on the street' could be dangerous.

Edit- What's funny about people dying of addiction?

It's the irony of it. Like someone hitting themselves in the head with a hammer then complaining about a headache. Although actually the users aren't the one complaining. So what's funny is all the people trying to save those who are deliberately putting their lives at risk.

To approach it from a different angle, we are trying to find ways to identify those who have suicidal tendencies, while at the same time those who are contemplating suicide are doing everything they can to hide any appearance of those thoughts. That's why suicide 'victims' are so successful, and those who seek to 'save' them are such failures. I think it's funny, in a twisted way of course.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wonder what the annual bill comes to per year for the entire country? A couple hundred billion maybe?

Estimates vary. This article poses it at $78.5 Billion.

Doc Series 'The Trade': The War On Drugs Costs The U.S. Over $78B A Year

Of course that money provides employment for law enforcement. The bad part is that all the labor directly connected to the drug war is nonproductive. It's like digging holes, then filling them in again. Meanwhile the country is crumbling for want of productive activities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Of course that money provides employment for law enforcement. The bad part is that all the labor directly connected to the drug war is nonproductive.

The only way that I can see to stop the silliness is to figure out a way to make people not want to do drugs. And I have no doubt the solution would be highly unpalatable to most people because they don't support "Tough Love" anymore. (I.E. this country is rich we can afford to baby them and not force them to become adults).

It's like digging holes, then filling them in again.

Sounds like Basic and/or EOD training. ^_^

Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Of course that money provides employment for law enforcement. The bad part is that all the labor directly connected to the drug war is nonproductive. It's like digging holes, then filling them in again. Meanwhile the country is crumbling for want of productive activities.

Here is another: http://www.countthecosts.org/sites/default/files/Economics-briefing.pdf

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

eh... I don't know that that's true. Of course I can't seem to find any articles to support this point right now, but it's my understanding that among at least part of the addict community, the lethality of a particular mixture/brand of heroin is appealing. If somebody dies off your product, that means that the high is better.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The only way that I can see to stop the silliness is to figure out a way to make people not want to do drugs. And I have no doubt the solution would be highly unpalatable to most people because they don't support "Tough Love" anymore. (I.E. this country is rich we can afford to baby them and not force them to become adults).

The huge number of overdose deaths doesn't seem to deter them either. I guess they will have to keep dying. That will solve the problem in time.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think they accept the risk that any drug bought 'on the street' could be dangerous.

I'm sure they understand that...but fentanyl is sort of in it's own league when it comes to lethality.

It's the irony of it. Like someone hitting themselves in the head with a hammer then complaining about a headache. Although actually the users aren't the one complaining.

I see...you have no real understanding of what addiction is.

So what's funny is all the people trying to save those who are deliberately putting their lives at risk.

What's funny about them?

To approach it from a different angle, we are trying to find ways to identify those who have suicidal tendencies, while at the same time those who are contemplating suicide are doing everything they can to hide any appearance of those thoughts. That's why suicide 'victims' are so successful, and those who seek to 'save' them are such failures. I think it's funny, in a twisted way of course.

I don't think the vast majority of heroin users are suicidal. I'm sure some are, probably even a higher percentage than the general population, but not the majority.

It's pretty obvious you don't know what these people are going through.

Upvote 0