Apr 10, 2008
✟7,781.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
I don't get it- honestly, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Here we have the world's largest religion, based around a guy who preached about love- loving God, loving your neighbour, loving your enemies; loving everyone- which was radical for his time and got him killed (but he died out of love). Present day, it feels like the message of love has been squeezed out of the picture for so many people who claim to be followers of Christ when it comes to the topic of homosexuality and gay marriage.

It just boggles my mind that we have a group of people who were oppressed and persecuted by society for decades, and then when society begins to accept them, Christians come out in full-swing and try to keep the persecution going. They fight against gay marriage, anti-gay-hate laws, gay-rights, and deliver strong-handed messages about how gays are filth, disgusting, society-ruining, etc. They show no love towards their gay brothers and sisters, who are so desperately in need of it, but instead encourage hate and intolerance, especially in children.

I stop to think about it, and it doesn't make sense. This is not love. This is not the same Christianity that fought against slavery, that opposed segregation, that feeds and clothes millions around the world. This is anti-Christianity. This is contrary to the message of love. It's dark, it's hate, it's evil.

It makes no sense to me. If someone could explain it, I'd appreciate it... but I can't think of any explaination that would satisfy me.

GryffinSong

open-minded skeptic
May 7, 2007
✟8,739.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I wonder the same thing. I hear about being non-judgemental, about jesus loving all, about forgiveness, and then witness the intolerance and am confused. It seems the more conservative and old-fashioned the church, the more intolerant of differences? I've especially seen it on another christian board, where people are mocked for being tolerant of differences. It's bizarre, and I delight to see so many people who follow a doctrine of love and tolerance on here.

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Here we have the world's largest religion, based around a guy who preached about love- loving God, loving your neighbour, loving your enemies; loving everyone- which was radical for his time and got him killed (but he died out of love). Present day, it feels like the message of love has been squeezed out of the picture for so many people who claim to be followers of Christ when it comes to the topic of homosexuality and gay marriage.

It just boggles my mind that we have a group of people who were oppressed and persecuted by society for decades, and then when society begins to accept them, Christians come out in full-swing and try to keep the persecution going. They fight against gay marriage, anti-gay-hate laws, gay-rights, and deliver strong-handed messages about how gays are filth, disgusting, society-ruining, etc. They show no love towards their gay brothers and sisters, who are so desperately in need of it, but instead encourage hate and intolerance, especially in children.

I stop to think about it, and it doesn't make sense. This is not love. This is not the same Christianity that fought against slavery, that opposed segregation, that feeds and clothes millions around the world. This is anti-Christianity. This is contrary to the message of love. It's dark, it's hate, it's evil.

It makes no sense to me. If someone could explain it, I'd appreciate it... but I can't think of any explaination that would satisfy me.

One must LOVE GOD in order to undersand it. The question might be asked, "Who is intolerant of whom?" Clearly, one may tolerate individuals and their opinions, while not making a place for the practice of various behavior patterns in their own home, gatherings, and community. If this makes one intolerant, then show me the individual who isn't. When Jesus said to the harlot, "Go and sin no more." Was Jesus being tolerant? Clearly, many today would be offended by such statements and wish them stopped ----- but wouldn't make them intolerant of but mere statements?

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟375,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
They fight against gay marriage, anti-gay-hate laws, gay-rights, and deliver strong-handed messages about how gays are filth, disgusting, society-ruining, etc. They show no love towards their gay brothers and sisters, who are so desperately in need of it, but instead encourage hate and intolerance, especially in children.

I'm hardly one to be a Christian apologist, but the people I know who are the best examples of Christianity don't act like that at all.

All religions have a loud-mouthed fringe of self-righteous, santimonious pharisees--who confuse legalisms and ancient taboos with true moral teachings. They'd do well to study their own scripture:

"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy by thy name, and by thy name cast out demons, and by thy name do many mighty works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." ---Matthew 7:22-23

Reactions: uberd00b
Upvote 0

Polycarp_fan

Jun 10, 2008
✟6,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

You may want to research what kinds of people were running the Roman Empire at the time of Jesus and the first century Church.

Non Christian behaviors and beliefs are not part of the Christian community. Never have been and never will be.

The Church was (and is) referred to as the Ekklesia, the called out ones. Allowing the lascivious and licentious culture of "the world" enter the Church is the opposite of leaving the world and its ways behind when you "become" a Christian.

You need to see who and what is intolerant of things.

Upvote 0

The Nihilist

Contributor
Sep 14, 2006
✟16,289.00
Faith
Atheist
You may want to research what kinds of people were running the Roman Empire at the time of Jesus and the first century Church.

Non Christian behaviors and beliefs are not part of the Christian community. Never have been and never will be.

The Church was (and is) referred to as the Ekklesia, the called out ones. Allowing the lascivious and licentious culture of "the world" enter the Church is the opposite of leaving the world and its ways behind when you "become" a Christian.

You're right, because christianity never ever ever did horrible things to unbelievers.

(cue no true scotsman fallacy)

Reactions: Minty
Upvote 0

aotn

Torso-out-of-the-closet Christian
Apr 10, 2008
✟7,781.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
One must LOVE GOD in order to undersand it.

Thus my question. I love God, I've been a Christian for years, and none of it makes sense to me.

The question might be asked, "Who is intolerant of whom?" Clearly, one may tolerate individuals and their opinions, while not making a place for the practice of various behavior patterns in their own home, gatherings, and community. If this makes one intolerant, then show me the individual who isn't.

Not sure what you're getting at, care to elaborate?

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think fighting against gay marriage is sort of like fighting to keep the good name of marriage alive; I'd do it if it weren't for half of our marriages ending in divorce...

But whatevs.

More than that, Christians shouldn't entangle themselves with the government and should withdraw from what has become of the modern, corrupt society.

So I sit in my room and play electric bass in a hard rock band and I go out with my friends and tattoo my body a lot ,and don't vote. That's where I'm at, bro .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The question might be asked, "Who is intolerant of whom?"

I try to be tolerant of all people, although it is difficult sometimes. I'm neither gay or against gays, so you could say I'm impartial in that respect and I like to think of myself as fair. From where I am standing, it is the people who are against gays that are causing the problems, so I tend to be less tolerant of them.

I don't know how they look themselves in the mirror to be honest, with the hurt they cause. You might think I'm taking sides, and not tolerant of your views, LittleNipper, Polycarp & the rest, and perhaps you're right, but then again, I'm not too tolerant of the racists or the sexists views either (which are the groups you stand with), so I suppose at least my intolerance is consistent.

Upvote 0

TooCurious

Kitten with a ball of string
Aug 10, 2003
✟10,481.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

What does this have to do with aotn's post?

Polycarp_fan said:

Which is, of course, why Christians have a feast on December 25th, and exchange gifts and decorate evergreen trees. And why they paint and hide eggs in spring, and decorate with motifs of rabbits and baby birds.

That being said, the OP was not talking about what is done within the "Christian community," so much as what Christians are trying to impose upon society as a whole.

Polycarp_fan said:
The Church was (and is) referred to as the Ekklesia, the called out ones. Allowing the lascivious and licentious culture of "the world" enter the Church

That assumes that gay marriage and gay rights are "lascivious and licentious," which is an interesting assumption, to say the least.

Polycarp_fan said:
is the opposite of leaving the world and its ways behind when you "become" a Christian.

So then, shouldn't Christians leave the "world" and its secular legal system alone instead of trying to use it to force their beliefs on people who disagree with them? We're not talking about gay people trying to force Christians to have gay sex or marry people of their own gender here; we're talking about Christians trying to prevent other people from doing those things, through the force of secular law.

Polycarp_fan said:

Right back at you.

Upvote 0

MethodMan

Legend
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2004
NW Pennsylvania
✟61,785.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

When your child is about to place his/her hand into a fire, do you stop them?

Reactions: HerbieHeadley
Upvote 0

TooCurious

Kitten with a ball of string
Aug 10, 2003
✟10,481.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
When your child is about to place his/her hand into a fire, do you stop them?

That analogy fails on so very many levels:
  • You, the parent, have legitimate authority to control your child's actions. Christians do not have legitimate authority over the behavior and actions of other adults.
  • The fire is demonstrably and unambiguously harmful. Gay marriage, gay rights laws, etc. are not. A Christian might argue that he believes that homosexuality damages a person's spiritual well-being, but this is neither demonstrable nor unambiguous.
  • The child does not have the knowledge or the cognitive capacity to make an informed decision. This is not true of mentally-competent adults (such as would be eligible to enter into a marriage contract).

Upvote 0

MethodMan

Legend
Site Supporter
Jun 24, 2004
NW Pennsylvania
✟61,785.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That analogy fails on so very many levels:
  • You, the parent, have legitimate authority to control your child's actions. Christians do not have legitimate authority over the behavior and actions of other adults.
  • The fire is demonstrably and unambiguously harmful. Gay marriage, gay rights laws, etc. are not. A Christian might argue that he believes that homosexuality damages a person's spiritual well-being, but this is neither demonstrable nor unambiguous.
  • The child does not have the knowledge or the cognitive capacity to make an informed decision. This is not true of mentally-competent adults (such as would be eligible to enter into a marriage contract).

Why does the parent care?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ReverendDG

Defeater of Dad and AV1611VET
Sep 3, 2006
✟10,901.00
Faith
Pantheist
Politics
US-Others
what does that have to do with anything?

that's laughable, most of the things you do in church have "non-christian"
origins. you just choose to ignore it or try to build up some story around it.

you mean like they took marriage and made it religious? people have found that for at least a thousand years the church didn't have anything to do with marriage.

i'd say a lot of people calling themselves loving when they really hate others, namely "true christians"

Upvote 0

Stinker

Senior Veteran
Sep 23, 2004
Overland Park, KS.
✟4,880.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, over the years the word arsenokoites found in (1Cor.6:9) & (1Tim.1:10) has been translated to mean different things. In the last 30 years it has been translated as 'homosexual' . So, many Christians believe that not only are homosexual acts sinful, but that just being homosexual is sin. Many Christians are sincere in this belief because of the Biblical information they have been fed. It is the same as with the Puritans when they burned witches. The information they were fed caused them to believe in and do what they did.

It is incredible what people will allow themselves to believe when they have been taught that their information is the correct information over the course of time. Look at Rom. (1:18-32) So many Christians have been taught that The Apostle Paul is referring to homosexual people in this section of scripture. He is not. He is referring to those who were heterosexual. Aphrodite worshippers. Where it was believed that the goddess commaned the worshipper to act against their natural sexual attraction.

One cannot point at this section of scripture and claim that since homosexuals are homosexual, God sees them like He sees these Aphrodite worshippers.

Upvote 0

ReverendDG

Defeater of Dad and AV1611VET
Sep 3, 2006
✟10,901.00
Faith
Pantheist
Politics
US-Others
One must LOVE GOD in order to undersand it.
understand what? the bible isn't god, and most people misunderstand the bible anyway
The question might be asked, "Who is intolerant of whom?" Clearly, one may tolerate individuals and their opinions, while not making a place for the practice of various behavior patterns in their own home, gatherings, and community.
yes because you have a right to stick your nose into other peoples lives that do you no harm.
just face it, you would rather gay people never say they are gay so you don't have to think about it.
so tell me how would people being gay affect you?

If this makes one intolerant, then show me the individual who isn't. When Jesus said to the harlot, "Go and sin no more." Was Jesus being tolerant?
when was she a harlot? no it says she was a woman. she broke a commitment to her husband, seems to me that there's a lot of things about not breaking commitments in the book.

Clearly, many today would be offended by such statements and wish them stopped ----- but wouldn't make them intolerant of but mere statements?
dude quit making this absurd argument, someone who defends a person who has done nothing to anyone is not intolerant.
someone who attacks a person for EXISTING is INTOLERANT and should be challenged for it period.

Upvote 0

SiderealExalt

Feb 25, 2007
✟3,309.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
For the OP. Considering that just to name CF, I've already read posts in a two day period in which people A. Said how horrible it was and it was a "sign of the end" times that the Anglican Church apologized to Darwin(and yah them, it's hard to admit when you're wrong) and another in which people were talking about the evil of a gospel singer saying he was gay(and good for him to have the courage to be open about something he shouldn't have to worry about being open about)...well it's hardly because of this place but I don't put anything past Christianity anymore.

Oh and just to add it in, also apparently CF has taught me that evolution is evil rubbish propagated by satanist scientists bent on destroying Christendom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jcook922

Defender of Liberty, against the Left or Right.
Aug 5, 2008
United States
✟9,746.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian

What do you consider the "Christian Community"? I don't consider the nation and society that I belong to the Christian Community, and if someone tried to make that claim on me I would dispute it pretty angrily. The Christian Community is for Christians, don't enforce your beliefs on others, for you have no right.

Upvote 0