Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Before anything else, I don't want to hear any "satan this or satan that".. i hope to get a logical and scientific talk here.

Just recently, somebody I knew jumped off a building a live streamed it. Now this guy obviously had something happened to his life that got him in this state of mind, but he is 41 guy with a son. now after this incident, a few people on my facebook who know him are telling others not to judge, not to bash, and all the "RIP you will be missed". I understand how people should have compassion for people who do this to themselves but why is it so antagonistic to speak negatively on this persons decision to not just end his life, but in such a horrific way, and at the same Live Stream it as if it was an event.

I've seen this multiple times where someone commits suicide and the whole social media starts giving this person honor and shuns out any form of realism that attacks the action of suicide. Why?

I'm starting to think that this generation, this millenial generation is the reason why suicide is more broadcasted these days because the world is like promoting it as a fast way ticket to getting respect. Then they shove this off as a "mental illness".. i'm mean, yes.. something happened that drove this person to end his life, but if people don't speak and condemn the reality of it (that it is your loved ones who are getting the most hurt) then maybe we can also trigger a sense of thought to others to think about this.

sunshine100

Love God Love people
Site Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Florida
✟121,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Before anything else, I don't want to hear any "satan this or satan that".. i hope to get a logical and scientific talk here.

Just recently, somebody I knew jumped off a building a live streamed it. Now this guy obviously had something happened to his life that got him in this state of mind, but he is 41 guy with a son. now after this incident, a few people on my facebook who know him are telling others not to judge, not to bash, and all the "RIP you will be missed". I understand how people should have compassion for people who do this to themselves but why is it so antagonistic to speak negatively on this persons decision to not just end his life, but in such a horrific way, and at the same Live Stream it as if it was an event.

I've seen this multiple times where someone commits suicide and the whole social media starts giving this person honor and shuns out any form of realism that attacks the action of suicide. Why?

I'm starting to think that this generation, this millenial generation is the reason why suicide is more broadcasted these days because the world is like promoting it as a fast way ticket to getting respect. Then they shove this off as a "mental illness".. i'm mean, yes.. something happened that drove this person to end his life, but if people don't speak and condemn the reality of it (that it is your loved ones who are getting the most hurt) then maybe we can also trigger a sense of thought to others to think about this.

I agree,my oldest nephew's grandmother killed herself,last year,she was in a lot of pain,and she was deppressed,her husband was a retired police officer,they had just finished eating dinner one day,she told her husband she would be right back,that is when she grabbed his gun,went outside and shot herself.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I agree,my oldest nephew's grandmother killed herself,last year,she was in a lot of pain,and she was deppressed,her husband was a retired police officer,they had just finished eating dinner one day,she told her husband she would be right back,that is when she grabbed his gun,went outside and shot herself.
Wow, what pain was she in?

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married

Technology makes reaching an audience easier and millennials are well acquainted with technology and understand how to use it to make a statement. Glorifying suicide sounds a little extreme, no? To cast that net on a generation that doesn't even have the highest suicide rate would be pretty far off the mark.

Let's look at the statistics:
https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/

upload_2019-1-16_22-5-16.png

The generation affected the worst by suicide is not even the millennial generation by a fairly wide margin. Furthermore your definition of millennial seems to imply the current youngest generation but they're generally categorized as post-millennial or gen Z. [Source]

As a side note; as far as I am concerned this life is the only one you get, you have to be in extreme misery to want to end it the fact that you can stream it is just a byproduct of technology that people use every day. The technology is neither good nor bad.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Technology makes reaching an audience easier and millennials are well acquainted with technology and understand how to use it to make a statement. Glorifying suicide sounds a little extreme, no? To cast that net on a generation that doesn't even have the highest suicide rate would be pretty far off the mark.

Let's look at the statistics:
https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/

View attachment 249368

The generation affected the worst by suicide is not even the millennial generation by a fairly wide margin. Furthermore your definition of millennial seems to imply the current youngest generation but they're generally categorized as post-millennial or gen Z. [Source]

As a side note; as far as I am concerned this life is the only one you get, you have to be in extreme misery to want to end it the fact that you can stream it is just a byproduct of technology that people use every day. The technology is neither good nor bad.

key word "glorifying". It's nearly praised these days especially if you are involved with social media normally. I really can't believe stats most of the time, so i could be wrong but i've never experienced the whole supportiveness of social media towards someone who killed themselves.

Upvote 0

Zoness

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
key word "glorifying". It's nearly praised these days especially if you are involved with social media normally. I really can't believe stats most of the time, so i could be wrong but i've never experienced the whole supportiveness of social media towards someone who killed themselves.

Well I've provided the statistical evidence, you're free to ignore it I suppose.

I'm not sure what you mean by not experiencing the supportiveness? People are generally very supportive online; I assume people are supportive because well, being not supportive is not particularly kind and people generally like being kind even if its just a social convention. Remember how much backlash that priest got in Detroit for telling everyone their deceased relative/friend was going to hell?

Frankly I don't know what you're expecting people to do. What do you want them to do?

• Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well I've provided the statistical evidence, you're free to ignore it I suppose.

I'm not sure what you mean by not experiencing the supportiveness? People are generally very supportive online; I assume people are supportive because well, being not supportive is not particularly kind and people generally like being kind even if its just a social convention. Remember how much backlash that priest got in Detroit for telling everyone their deceased relative/friend was going to hell?

Frankly I don't know what you're expecting people to do. What do you want them to do?

What i think people should do is actually voice out it is wrong, instead of spamming "rip" and various words of honoring. People should give the message about how it effects the people around them undeservingly. Why would you live stream your own suicide, knowing that you have a son, knowing that he and everyone who cares about you is going to see it? We've seen people do that as well with hanging themselves (search for it) and putting in live.

Afterwards we get tweets to facebook posts giving this person "love and respect" with out ever saying the actual negatives of suicide because doing so is "judging". Showing sadness is fine, but it is making suicide look as a way people can gain respect. Your stats speak on the % of people who committed suicide, i'm on the topic of how society has been handling it.

Upvote 0

John Bowen

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Suicide should be judged by society its wrong it hurts the family members left behind . It does not solve anything . Anybody thinking about suicide read the book Beyond the Darkness by Angie Fenimore your problems won't go away when the body dies , but the soul lives on with all the pain. What can we do as a society ? There should be mental health clinics in every town just like you go to a doctor for a checkup .No stigma attached to it friends could say hey you look a little depressed , you aren't yourself maybe you need a check up ? Someone loses a job , relationship ends , health issues, teenager blues they go . With all the billions Facebook has they should put up mental health help instead of just adds .Sorry for your friends family and son .

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That mental health thing. I find it funny that the media is going "we should increase mental awareness and mental health".. right. You know how much it costs to have just a 1 day check up with a councilor? In NYC, the cheapest you can get is 80$ and that person is just going to give you advice.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What i think people should do is actually voice out it is wrong, instead of spamming "rip" and various words of honoring. People should give the message about how it effects the people around them undeservingly. Why would you live stream your own suicide, knowing that you have a son, knowing that he and everyone who cares about you is going to see it? We've seen people do that as well with hanging themselves (search for it) and putting in live.

Afterwards we get tweets to facebook posts giving this person "love and respect" with out ever saying the actual negatives of suicide because doing so is "judging". Showing sadness is fine, but it is making suicide look as a way people can gain respect. Your stats speak on the % of people who committed suicide, i'm on the topic of how society has been handling it.
It’s about forgiveness. It is better for the hearts of those left behind to forgive the loved one than to condemn them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,710.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That mental health thing. I find it funny that the media is going "we should increase mental awareness and mental health".. right. You know how much it costs to have just a 1 day check up with a councilor? In NYC, the cheapest you can get is 80$ and that person is just going to give you advice.
So.. what's your plan? No support, no help, no prevention, just stomping on the memory of a person after he killed himself?

And you think that will deterr people from comitting suicide?

You should educate yourself on the subject of why people kill themselves. It's very rarely a well-thought out process.

Upvote 0

John Bowen

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2018
dueba
✟48,940.00
Country
Fiji
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The politicians spend billions on themselves , 13 billion dollar aircraft carriers, 135 million a jet , to fight people in caves , billions on space , a real tax on mega corporations that pay virtually no taxes with their off shore shell games . The $$$ there to give everyone health care and mental freedom care . Lot cheaper than funerals.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So.. what's your plan? No support, no help, no prevention, just stomping on the memory of a person after he killed himself?

And you think that will deterr people from comitting suicide?

You should educate yourself on the subject of why people kill themselves. It's very rarely a well-thought out process.
There’s a palpable line between throwing slime on a person who committed suicide, and lauding the decision. This generation is doing the later. I'm not saying there shouldn't be support, or help, or prevention; I'm saying it has been normalized (sometimes glamorized).

Maybe i can help you understand my position more by referencing you the netflix series 13 reasons why.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The politicians spend billions on themselves , 13 billion dollar aircraft carriers, 135 million a jet , to fight people in caves , billions on space , a real tax on mega corporations that pay virtually no taxes with their off shore shell games . The $$$ there to give everyone health care and mental freedom care . Lot cheaper than funerals.
Except that the taxpayer isn't paying for funerals. So for the politicians, funerals are 100% cheaper than mental health.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,710.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
There’s a palpable line between throwing slime on a person who committed suicide, and lauding the decision. This generation is doing the later. I'm not saying there shouldn't be support, or help, or prevention; I'm saying it has been normalized (sometimes glamorized).

Maybe i can help you understand my position more by referencing you the netflix series 13 reasons why.
I don't watch netflix.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoness

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what a TV series based on a book produced by Netflix has to do with a "generational inclination" towards glorifying suicide.

I brought out the stats because there seems to be some misplaced focus on millennials on this thread. I don't think anyone is going to talk about the negatives of suicide because uh....we already know. Anyone grieving for a lost loved one already understands how bad it is, they'rennot really in the mood to revisit it. It would be breaking a lot of unwritten etiquette roles on social media. Curiously, boomers in particular are already bad at social media etiquette.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker

You are expecting differenciated discourse (on anything) from social media?
Personally, I am positive that even "this generation" has a life outside social media.

Upvote 0

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

I disagree completely with you that this is about "glorifying suicide".
You'ld have a point, if social media's main content was that. But it's not.

This is rather more about "put your entire life on 'social' media, including your death".

That's the real issue here. People today are living cyber lives and are being influenced by "influencers" who are showing them a fake and staged life that is impossible to live upto.

The entire "social media" thingy is psychologically extremely damaging and it has been build from the ground up to literally exploit weaknesses in human psychology (as per the admission of the very people that have build these platforms!). These software developers actually HIRE psychologists who help them create addictive features. Literally. That's the reason that they are hired: to tell the UI designers on how to create an addictive UI, exploited human psychological weaknesses.

The never-ending feedback loop of the "like" button.
The never-ending scroll list.

All designed explicitly to have you stare at your screen for as long as possible AND to make you go back to it a couple dozen times per day.

If tomorrow there is a referendum to ban social media (or to prohibit software features specifically designed to exploit human psychology), I'll sign immediatly - eventhough I am against censorship.

It is a cancer for society and it must be cut away.

• Agree
Reactions: quatona
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Its not praised. Empathised perhaps.
But people who suicide are on a continuum...... on one end they have a level of suffering that needs to end, and they make the decision perhaps knowing the pain their death causes - eg someone with a terminal illness or someone with a tormenting unmanageable mental illness, or those who jumped during 9/11. To this group I have great empathy and understanding - they are making a practical choice regardless of our judgement upon them.

The other end of the spectrum is a person who doesnt understand the ripple effect their death will have, and may be acting impulsively or even accidentally. Its this group I certainly dont want to laud. Intervention and prevention is paramount here.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0