This Christmas

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
This Christmas marks the point where my 21 year old has spent more Christmas without her dad as she did with him. In two years, I will have been a single mom for longer than I was a married one as the older child crosses that same point.

I didn't cry when I realized that but I did feel a deep sadness. However, we laughed and had fun over opening the presents this morning and plan to decorate cookies together this afternoon. A laid back holiday with no guests and nowhere to be. One of the best in a very long time.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This Christmas marks the point where my 21 year old has spent more Christmas without her dad as she did with him. In two years, I will have been a single mom for longer than I was a married one as the older child crosses that same point.

I didn't cry when I realized that but I did feel a deep sadness. However, we laughed and had fun over opening the presents this morning and plan to decorate cookies together this afternoon. A laid back holiday with no guests and nowhere to be. One of the best in a very long time.
This is a calmer Christmas for us, too, this year.

The previous (3) have been super high-anxiety ...

Upvote 0

BonnieL322

Oct 20, 2019
Central PA
✟21,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
This Christmas was the first since my parents died, so my adult siblings were more sympathetic to what I was experiencing last year after my husband died.

It was weird very weird to be without my husband and my parents this Christmas. I did pull off making the holiday nice for the kids but I am incredibly low and keep getting triggered and keep wanting to just uproot our lives and move away. I won’t do that, but literally everywhere I go in this county and the surrounding ones reminds me of someone important to me who is dead whether my firstborn son, my husband, a man who was like my only grandparent, my mom, my dad. It’s like living in a memory by myself and trying to bring children up in it.

my youngest will turn 3 next month and she is now confused because she thinks a dad is a necklace because I wear a necklace w some of his ashes in it. I tried to teach her what a dad is so then she was calling all men daddy. She doesn’t recognize him in pictures. It’s been 18 months. My boys are doing poorly and I’m trying to get them into a big brother program until they have a stepfather and they ask me about that or bring it up all the time “when we have a stepdaddy”, “when are we getting a stepdaddy”, “I want a new daddy”. I really wish Christian dating was as easy as it was decades ago because it’s been really difficult trying to meet anyone let alone date. And yes, I’m ready, I know opinions vary and whatnot. It stinks that I also feel like I am unable to provide them with that, and I have to watch them suffer w no male role models. Sometimes I hear women in grief groups or read online where they say their late husband’s brother or friend or men at their church step up but that hasn’t happened in my case.

well I see my post turned into a pointless rant, and I apologize lol ugh

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
This Christmas was the first since my parents died, so my adult siblings were more sympathetic to what I was experiencing last year after my husband died.

It was weird very weird to be without my husband and my parents this Christmas. I did pull off making the holiday nice for the kids but I am incredibly low and keep getting triggered and keep wanting to just uproot our lives and move away. I won’t do that, but literally everywhere I go in this county and the surrounding ones reminds me of someone important to me who is dead whether my firstborn son, my husband, a man who was like my only grandparent, my mom, my dad. It’s like living in a memory by myself and trying to bring children up in it.

my youngest will turn 3 next month and she is now confused because she thinks a dad is a necklace because I wear a necklace w some of his ashes in it. I tried to teach her what a dad is so then she was calling all men daddy. She doesn’t recognize him in pictures. It’s been 18 months. My boys are doing poorly and I’m trying to get them into a big brother program until they have a stepfather and they ask me about that or bring it up all the time “when we have a stepdaddy”, “when are we getting a stepdaddy”, “I want a new daddy”. I really wish Christian dating was as easy as it was decades ago because it’s been really difficult trying to meet anyone let alone date. And yes, I’m ready, I know opinions vary and whatnot. It stinks that I also feel like I am unable to provide them with that, and I have to watch them suffer w no male role models. Sometimes I hear women in grief groups or read online where they say their late husband’s brother or friend or men at their church step up but that hasn’t happened in my case.

well I see my post turned into a pointless rant, and I apologize lol ugh

Well, it made perfect sense to me.

I did uproot and move my family. My kids were 10 and 12 when daddy died. We moved a year and half later, across the country to a place we didn't know anyone and didn't have any memories to compete with. The move was initially temporary but the decision to make it permanent was their decision. They are now 21 and 23 and have thrived in our new state...and both say that it was a good thing. I regret moving them away from family...but the truth is, how his family responded to my husband's death is a significant reason in why I had to move. They were more toxic than helpful during those first few years.

And be careful about the reasons you date. You should marry a man for the same reason that you married your husband...not simply because you need a husband and your kids need a step-dad. You can be enough...even if you don't feel like it or you don't want to be. I fully am open to marrying again...but God did not provide me another husband. I guess raising my kids alone kept me busy enough. I did date a few men. Mostly real decent men. Men I initially thought I could marry but in the end, not really the right fit for me or my family. Getting remarried brings in its own special complications and unlike with the kids' dad, you don't get to start coming together with your family rules as the child grows.

My daughter has multiple friends that their bond is formed over losing a parent. She has a friend that doesn't remember her father, but even still, that young women is an outstanding person and she was delighted to have someone to talk about things only they can talk about. My daughter was 10, but honestly, her personal memories are becoming very faded or lost. Mostly they are kept alive in the stories I tell about things they did with their dad or ways they are similar to him.

Your kids are very young. They will figure out things like "what a daddy is" over time. Their daddy can't be replaced. He is unique and loved them because they are a piece of him. A step-dad can develop into a father but remember, that takes time and doesn't necessarily come naturally. I'd personally suggest that you stop talking about a step-daddy to them until you actually are engaged. They need to know that daddies aren't replaceable or that every man you date and decide not to marry is a "daddy who went away". Trust God to provide you with what you need. And work on being the best Mommy since they do still have you.

And yes, it completely <words I can't say on this forum> to be a widow with small kids. However, your job is to provide them a happy childhood in spite of their hard start. Love them. Be there for them. And remember, your family is still complete when it is just them and you.

I don't know if I will be alone for the rest of my life. It isn't my preferred option but looking back, it is a lot better than trying to force fit a family where it didn't really belong. ((hugs))

PS...and no one stepped up for my son either. Yes, it made it hard for him as a boy and me as a mom to try to fill his dad's shoes when I had to...but at the same time, there are a lot of guys out their that I did not want them teaching my son how to be their version of a man. Yes, I can now play baseball and know most of the rules. I was a scout leader and can camp with the best of them. I hate fishing but I can clean a fish and bait a hook. I also had to learn how to give him permission to think like a boy, respond like a boy, and act like a boy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BonnieL322

Oct 20, 2019
Central PA
✟21,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Well, it made perfect sense to me.

I did uproot and move my family. My kids were 10 and 12 when daddy died. We moved a year and half later, across the country to a place we didn't know anyone and didn't have any memories to compete with. The move was initially temporary but the decision to make it permanent was their decision. They are now 21 and 23 and have thrived in our new state...and both say that it was a good thing. I regret moving them away from family...but the truth is, how his family responded to my husband's death is a significant reason in why I had to move. They were more toxic than helpful during those first few years.

And be careful about the reasons you date. You should marry a man for the same reason that you married your husband...not simply because you need a husband and your kids need a step-dad. You can be enough...even if you don't feel like it or you don't want to be. I fully am open to marrying again...but God did not provide me another husband. I guess raising my kids alone kept me busy enough. I did date a few men. Mostly real decent men. Men I initially thought I could marry but in the end, not really the right fit for me or my family. Getting remarried brings in its own special complications and unlike with the kids' dad, you don't get to start coming together with your family rules as the child grows.

My daughter has multiple friends that their bond is formed over losing a parent. She has a friend that doesn't remember her father, but even still, that young women is an outstanding person and she was delighted to have someone to talk about things only they can talk about. My daughter was 10, but honestly, her personal memories are becoming very faded or lost. Mostly they are kept alive in the stories I tell about things they did with their dad or ways they are similar to him.

Your kids are very young. They will figure out things like "what a daddy is" over time. Their daddy can't be replaced. He is unique and loved them because they are a piece of him. A step-dad can develop into a father but remember, that takes time and doesn't necessarily come naturally. I'd personally suggest that you stop talking about a step-daddy to them until you actually are engaged. They need to know that daddies aren't replaceable or that every man you date and decide to marry is a "daddy who went away". Trust God to provide you with what you need. And work on being the best Mommy since they do still have you.

And yes, it completely <words I can't say on this forum> to be a widow with small kids. However, your job is to provide them a happy childhood in spite of their hard start. Love them. Be there for them. And remember, your family is still complete when it is just them and you.

I don't know if I will be alone for the rest of my life. It isn't my preferred option but looking back, it is a lot better than trying to force fit a family where it didn't really belong. ((hugs))

PS...and no one stepped up for my son either. Yes, it made it hard for him as a boy and me as a mom to try to fill his dad's shoes when I had to...but at the same time, there are a lot of guys out their that I did not want them teaching my son how to be their version of a man. Yes, I can now play baseball and know most of the rules. I was a scout leader and can camp with the best of them. I hate fishing but I can clean a fish and bait a hook. I also had to learn how to give him permission to think like a boy, respond like a boy, and act like a boy.

I don’t really desire to move to a new state but maybe a new town. I doubt I actually will. Maybe in the future. My children are 10, 8, 6, and 2. The idea absolutely upsets them they aren’t open to it right now.

I will have to agree to disagree with your beliefs about single motherhood. I do not believe it’s best for them to have only a mother (I know you didn’t say it’s best but you said it’s enough. I’m pretty firm on gender issues and unfortunately a woman can never adequately fill the role of father figure) and since they don’t have any other consistent male figures in their life as in grandfathers, uncles, etc...and I see the difference in my boys myself with no male influence. I’m selective in dating so no I don’t want just any male figure, I want someone with my beliefs and my husband’s. And the Lord convicts me about it. I also believe 1Tim 5:14. Some say that’s for young widows some claim it’s just young women. I feel very called to be a wife again and I do not have a career outside the home. My husband and my parents provide for us posthumously but even so, I feel called to remarry. And for the right reasons and practical reasons. I notice many times as a young Christian back before I was married and especially now as a young widow, if you express a desire to date, it always seems like you’re motives are attacked. I believe it is perfectly healthy and biblical to desire marriage. So if I seem a bit defensive, that’s why is all lol. I considered other life paths and God showed me how those were not for me and renewed my hope in being a wife again. However the modern day Christian dating scene?? Oh boy, that’s a whole other topic LOL.

And btw-I never brought up a stepdaddy. They bring it up. Almost every day.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I don’t really desire to move to a new state but maybe a new town. I doubt I actually will. Maybe in the future. My children are 10, 8, 6, and 2. The idea absolutely upsets them they aren’t open to it right now.

I will have to agree to disagree with your beliefs about single motherhood. I do not believe it’s best for them to have only a mother (I know you didn’t say it’s best but you said it’s enough. I’m pretty firm on gender issues and unfortunately a woman can never adequately fill the role of father figure) and since they don’t have any other consistent male figures in their life as in grandfathers, uncles, etc...and I see the difference in my boys myself with no male influence. I’m selective in dating so no I don’t want just any male figure, I want someone with my beliefs and my husband’s. And the Lord convicts me about it. I also believe 1Tim 5:14. Some say that’s for young widows some claim it’s just young women. I feel very called to be a wife again and I do not have a career outside the home. My husband and my parents provide for us posthumously but even so, I feel called to remarry. And for the right reasons and practical reasons. I notice many times as a young Christian back before I was married and especially now as a young widow, if you express a desire to date, it always seems like you’re motives are attacked. I believe it is perfectly healthy and biblical to desire marriage. So if I seem a bit defensive, that’s why is all lol. I considered other life paths and God showed me how those were not for me and renewed my hope in being a wife again. However the modern day Christian dating scene?? Oh boy, that’s a whole other topic LOL.

And btw-I never brought up a stepdaddy. They bring it up. Almost every day.

I never planned to move. That was a God driven decision. In fact it was my desire to get married again that was the hook that God used to move me. Long story. When we did move, the man wasn't in the picture any more but the kids were on board. I am where God wanted us to be. My life is proof that this is where God wanted us to be. I long to go back to "home" but after visiting "home" a couple times, they realize their lives are now more attached to our new location. This is "home"...so, since they still need me and I want to live close to my grandchildren when they start coming in the future, this likely is my home too. I doubt that God will up and move you the way He led me, but just know, most widows I know find a lot of peace after they move...even if it is just a little move.

And I hope God provides you with the husband you desire. I felt the same way as you. My entire life, my desire has always been to be a wife and mother. For some reason, God decided that I only got 16 years to be a wife...and that I needed to be the parent to raise the son He blessed us with. It wasn't my choice or my preferred option. It definitely wasn't in my plan to be a single (or only) parent. Yes, I believe that God intends for kids to have two parents...but sometimes life isn't the way it is "supposed to be" and so many godly (and good) men let us down that I soon realize that I was "enough" because only I loved him enough to sacrifice everything for what he needed.
My warning is only based on second marriages where the the widow suddenly realizes that she is often having to make choices between doing what her husband wants and doing what she knows is best for her children. A marriage license does not suddenly make a father, it only makes a husband or wife.

I will pray that you find a loving, godly man that God provides for your family. However, desire isn't the same as reality. I still pray for a husband to love even though my children do not need a father figure anymore. However, so far, this isn't what God believes is best for me. After 10 years, I am starting to see some of the benefits of being solo but I am genuinely lonely.

I was a stay-at-home homeschooling mother when my husband died. My kids did not ever go to a school outside of the home beyond individual classes. God provided the means for me to stay home for a couple years and finish their schooling while going to school myself. The life my kids got was very different than the one I dreamed for them and planned for them. However, it was GOD that decided I was to be the thing I dreaded most in life, being a single mom who had to raise a boy. It was not easy...and honestly, even at 23, I am not done. (Hint, hard conversations and needing to get them to open up is best done in the car when you both don't have to make eye to eye contact...). Yes, my son was cheated out of a father but he did have good male coaches, teachers and bosses in his life...and I have to trust that God will fill in the holes I left being a woman doing a man's job. I will never regret making sure he knew he wasn't the "man of the house" like people dumped on him at 12. He was still a child and it was my job to be the parent and do the worrying for the family. It was his job to come to me and share his concerns until he finished growing up.

I hope you do find a good father figure who is also a good loving husband. But do not believe that this is the only way to live a good life in God's plan.

Upvote 0