Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Some Christians believe once we are saved the 10 Commandments are of no use whatsoever to the Christian, that we have a new Law under Christ that is different or, they become antinomian and reject all Law and holy living. Most Christians, historically, have believed the Law of God continues to point out our sin and drives us to Christ in repentance and faith. This is a third use. What was sin before we were saved is sin after we are saved and our acknowledgement of our failures drives us to be saved by grace alone. This is further explained here.

Chapter 19: Of the Law of God
1._____ God gave to Adam a law of universal obedience written in his heart, and a particular precept of not eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil; by which he bound him and all his posterity to personal, entire, exact, and perpetual obedience; promised life upon the fulfilling, and threatened death upon the breach of it, and endued him with power and ability to keep it.
( Genesis 1:27; Ecclesiastes 7:29; Romans 10:5; Galatians 3:10, 12 )

2._____ The same law that was first written in the heart of man continued to be a perfect rule of righteousness after the fall, and was delivered by God upon Mount Sinai, in ten commandments, and written in two tables, the four first containing our duty towards God, and the other six, our duty to man.
( Romans 2:14, 15; Deuteronomy 10:4 )

3._____ Besides this law, commonly called moral, God was pleased to give to the people of Israel ceremonial laws, containing several typical ordinances, partly of worship, prefiguring Christ, his graces, actions, sufferings, and benefits; and partly holding forth divers instructions of moral duties, all which ceremonial laws being appointed only to the time of reformation, are, by Jesus Christ the true Messiah and only law-giver, who was furnished with power from the Father for that end abrogated and taken away.
( Hebrews 10:1; Colossians 2:17; 1 Corinthians 5:7; Colossians 2:14, 16, 17; Ephesians 2:14, 16 )

4._____ To them also he gave sundry judicial laws, which expired together with the state of that people, not obliging any now by virtue of that institution; their general equity only being of moral use.
( 1 Corinthians 9:8-10 )

5._____ The moral law doth for ever bind all, as well justified persons as others, to the obedience thereof, and that not only in regard of the matter contained in it, but also in respect of the authority of God the Creator, who gave it; neither doth Christ in the Gospel any way dissolve, but much strengthen this obligation.
( Romans 13:8-10; James 2:8, 10-12; James 2:10, 11; Matthew 5:17-19; Romans 3:31 )

6._____ Although true believers be not under the law as a covenant of works, to be thereby justified or condemned, yet it is of great use to them as well as to others, in that as a rule of life, informing them of the will of God and their duty, it directs and binds them to walk accordingly; discovering also the sinful pollutions of their natures, hearts, and lives, so as examining themselves thereby, they may come to further conviction of, humiliation for, and hatred against, sin; together with a clearer sight of the need they have of Christ and the perfection of his obedience; it is likewise of use to the regenerate to restrain their corruptions, in that it forbids sin; and the threatenings of it serve to shew what even their sins deserve, and what afflictions in this life they may expect for them, although freed from the curse and unallayed rigour thereof. The promises of it likewise shew them God's approbation of obedience, and what blessings they may expect upon the performance thereof, though not as due to them by the law as a covenant of works; so as man's doing good and refraining from evil, because the law encourageth to the one and deterreth from the other, is no evidence of his being under the law and not under grace.
( Romans 6:14; Galatians 2:16; Romans 8:1; Romans 10:4; Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7, etc; Romans 6:12-14; 1 Peter 3:8-13 )

7._____ Neither are the aforementioned uses of the law contrary to the grace of the Gospel, but do sweetly comply with it, the Spirit of Christ subduing and enabling the will of man to do that freely and cheerfully which the will of God, revealed in the law, requireth to be done.
( Galatians 3:21; Ezekiel 36:27 )

For those who deny the continue validity and use of the Decalogue (10 Commandments) I must ask, what Law did Christ die to satisfy?

When we preach the Gospel to all men everywhere calling them to repentance what sins do I call them to repent of?

When Christ died on the cross to save His people what demands of justice did Christ satisfy?[1]

Yours in the Lord,

jm

[1] paraphrasing questions asked by Dr. Renihan concerning the Law

Last edited:

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Some Christians believe once we are saved the 10 Commandments are of no use whatsoever to the Christian, that we have a new Law under Christ that is different or, they become antinomian and reject all Law and holy living. Most Christians, historically, have believed the Law of God continues to point out our sin and drives us to Christ in repentance and faith. This is a third use. What was sin before we were saved is sin after we are saved and our acknowledgement of our failures drives us to be saved by grace alone. This is further explained here.

Chapter 19: Of the Law of God
1._____ God gave to Adam a law of universal obedience written in his heart, and a particular precept of not eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil; by which he bound him and all his posterity to personal, entire, exact, and perpetual obedience; promised life upon the fulfilling, and threatened death upon the breach of it, and endued him with power and ability to keep it.
( Genesis 1:27; Ecclesiastes 7:29; Romans 10:5; Galatians 3:10, 12 )

2._____ The same law that was first written in the heart of man continued to be a perfect rule of righteousness after the fall, and was delivered by God upon Mount Sinai, in ten commandments, and written in two tables, the four first containing our duty towards God, and the other six, our duty to man.
( Romans 2:14, 15; Deuteronomy 10:4 )

3._____ Besides this law, commonly called moral, God was pleased to give to the people of Israel ceremonial laws, containing several typical ordinances, partly of worship, prefiguring Christ, his graces, actions, sufferings, and benefits; and partly holding forth divers instructions of moral duties, all which ceremonial laws being appointed only to the time of reformation, are, by Jesus Christ the true Messiah and only law-giver, who was furnished with power from the Father for that end abrogated and taken away.
( Hebrews 10:1; Colossians 2:17; 1 Corinthians 5:7; Colossians 2:14, 16, 17; Ephesians 2:14, 16 )

4._____ To them also he gave sundry judicial laws, which expired together with the state of that people, not obliging any now by virtue of that institution; their general equity only being of moral use.
( 1 Corinthians 9:8-10 )

5._____ The moral law doth for ever bind all, as well justified persons as others, to the obedience thereof, and that not only in regard of the matter contained in it, but also in respect of the authority of God the Creator, who gave it; neither doth Christ in the Gospel any way dissolve, but much strengthen this obligation.
( Romans 13:8-10; James 2:8, 10-12; James 2:10, 11; Matthew 5:17-19; Romans 3:31 )

6._____ Although true believers be not under the law as a covenant of works, to be thereby justified or condemned, yet it is of great use to them as well as to others, in that as a rule of life, informing them of the will of God and their duty, it directs and binds them to walk accordingly; discovering also the sinful pollutions of their natures, hearts, and lives, so as examining themselves thereby, they may come to further conviction of, humiliation for, and hatred against, sin; together with a clearer sight of the need they have of Christ and the perfection of his obedience; it is likewise of use to the regenerate to restrain their corruptions, in that it forbids sin; and the threatenings of it serve to shew what even their sins deserve, and what afflictions in this life they may expect for them, although freed from the curse and unallayed rigour thereof. The promises of it likewise shew them God's approbation of obedience, and what blessings they may expect upon the performance thereof, though not as due to them by the law as a covenant of works; so as man's doing good and refraining from evil, because the law encourageth to the one and deterreth from the other, is no evidence of his being under the law and not under grace.
( Romans 6:14; Galatians 2:16; Romans 8:1; Romans 10:4; Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7, etc; Romans 6:12-14; 1 Peter 3:8-13 )

7._____ Neither are the aforementioned uses of the law contrary to the grace of the Gospel, but do sweetly comply with it, the Spirit of Christ subduing and enabling the will of man to do that freely and cheerfully which the will of God, revealed in the law, requireth to be done.
( Galatians 3:21; Ezekiel 36:27 )

For those who deny the continue validity and use of the Decalogue (10 Commandments) I must ask, what Law did Christ die to satisfy?

When we preach the Gospel to all men everywhere calling them to repentance what sins do I call them to repent of?

When Christ died on the cross to save His people what demands of justice did Christ satisfy?[1]

Yours in the Lord,

jm

[1] paraphrasing questions asked by Dr. Renihan concerning the Law
I have only one question to ask as we have been through this before: When the Scriptures speak of the Law does it separate it into moral and ceremonial and civil?

The purpose of the Law is to shut us up to Christ and that isn't a third use.

Reactions: PrettyboyAndy
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Hey brother, I would like to stay with the op. Once you answer that you will have an answer to your question since it flows from your response. How you answer the question will affect the Doctrine of God and justification. It's important.

When Christ died on the cross to save His people what demands of justice did Christ satisfy?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hey brother, I would like to stay with the op. Once you answer that you will have an answer to your question since it flows from your response. How you answer the question will affect the Doctrine of God and justification. It's important.
OK

All of it. He died to satisfy the demands of the whole of the Law and also to declare the righteousness of the whole of the Law. The Decalogue is a part of the Law but it isn't the whole Law. As I said before the Scriptures do not separate the Law into parts it simply says the Law and mean all of it.

All of them. Whatsoever is not of faith is sin. (Rom. 14:23). Sin is much more than just transgression of the Law. It is to deny the righteousness of God, it is to deny the knowledge of God innate in all of us (Rom. 1:18-25) it is to deny the record God has given of His Son (1John 5:9-12).

When Christ died on the cross to save His people what demands of justice did Christ satisfy?
All of it.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
"All of what" brother? What exactly? You can only be referring to the moral Law and avoiding this conclusion.

"I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me."

What Law is Paul speaking about?

What is Paul calling evil?

I asked, “For those who deny the continue validity and use of the Decalogue (10 Commandments) I must ask, what Law did Christ die to satisfy?”

You dear brother responded with, “All of it.”

All of the obligations for salvation included in the Decalogue?

Br. Twin wrote, “He died to satisfy the demands of the whole of the Law and also to declare the righteousness of the whole of the Law. The Decalogue is a part of the Law but it isn't the whole Law. As I said before the Scriptures do not separate the Law into parts it simply says the Law and mean all of it.”

I would agree but would also point out that Paul tells us that death reigned from Adam to Moses. By what Law was humanity convicted of from Adam to Moses?

I asked, “When we preach the Gospel to all men everywhere calling them to repentance what sins do I call them to repent of?”

You replied, “All of them.”

All of the ceremonial aspects of the Mosaic Law? All of the civil aspects of Mosaic Law? All of the moral aspects of the Mosaic Law? Do you tell people they have broken the Sabbath? or that they did not offer the proper sacrifices for sin or that Feast Days must be kept? No. You restate the moral Law.

You are assuming the moral Law without acknowledging it.

Bro. Twin quoted, “Whatsoever is not of faith is sin. (Rom. 14:23).”

The passage is simply saying that whatever we do we must do in faith. That is the position I would take as well. We are motivated by faith to turn from sin and to turn to Christ.

Our dear brother added, “Sin is much more than just transgression of the Law. It is to deny the righteousness of God, it is to deny the knowledge of God innate in all of us (Rom. 1:18-25) it is to deny the record God has given of His Son (1John 5:9-12).”

Exactly. So how is Law breaking denying the righteousness of Christ any different from denying the righteousness of Christ when we deny the Law after we are saved? It’s not. The moral Law existed before the 10 Commandments were given, they were restated as a covenant of works on Sinai and will forever continue to point us to the righteousness of Jesus Christ our Saviour.

I asked, “When Christ died on the cross to save His people what demands of justice did Christ satisfy?”

And the response, “All of it.”

Christ died having fulfilled the moral Law in our stead. To deny the moral Law is the deny the need for Christ to die in our place fulfilling the covenant of works restated at Sinai. It’s a dangerous thing to deny the righteousness that caused Christ to suffering in our place.

Please consider what you have read, ponder what you know and think about how each biblical doctrine relates to each other.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Last edited:
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
twin1954,

re: "...the knowledge of God innate in all of us..."

So I wonder why there are a number of verses that say to believe if everyone already does?
There is a world of difference between saving faith and the innate knowledge that God is that we all have.

Saving faith in Christ is something God gives to His elect. The simple knowledge that all men have, even the most remote native that has never seen modern man, has been given by the natural understanding that God is hence the many idols man has made. Read Romans 1.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
twin1954,
re: "There is a world of difference between saving faith and the innate knowledge that God is that we all have. Saving faith in Christ is something God gives to His elect."

So what was your point in writing: "...the knowledge of God innate in all of us..."?
It was in answer to JM's question concerning what constituted sin to be repented of and was one of the things that I gave. We sin against God when we deny the knowledge that He is God which all mankind has innately. Again I would point you to Rom. 1

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The Moral Law is eternal. Everlasting. The iniquity of those who broke it was laid upon Christ and that includes those who were not apart of ethnic Israel or even aware of the Mosaic Covenant.

"All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The Moral Law is eternal. Everlasting. The iniquity of those who broke it was laid upon Christ and that includes those who were not apart of ethnic Israel or even aware of the Mosaic Covenant.

"All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all."
The Moral Law is a part of the commandments given on Sinai. Men call the ten commandments found in Exodus 20 the Moral Law and they do so in order to separate the law into that which they think no longer apply and that which they claim we are still under.

The law that is written in our moral nature ( as spoken of in Rom. 2:14) is not the ten commandments but only two: love God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength and your neighbor as yourself. To put folks under any other law is to return them to that which not even the Jews could bear.

The Lord Jesus Christ not only fulfilled the whole Mosaic Law but also that law written in our moral natures. He did that which we could not do and now all who believe are justified by His imputed righteousness, which is perfect and all that God requires of us.

God does not require us to keep the Ten Commandments He requires us to look to Christ. Christ Jesus is all our righteousness, both justifying and sanctifying, and by faith in Him we are counted as having done all.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The Moral Law is a part of the commandments given on Sinai.

If you only stopped there brother...that's been my point this entire time. The moral law was given on Sinai and is the law all of humanity is guilty of breaking.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If you only stopped there brother...that's been my point this entire time. The moral law was given on Sinai and is the law all of humanity is guilty of breaking.
The point Paul is making in Rom. 2 is that the law that all mankind has broken is that law which we all have written on our moral conscience which tells us right from wrong. It was repeated on Sinai but it isn't the ten commandments.

I do no t oppose a moral principle in believers I oppose putting them back under a law given on Sinai.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The point Paul is making in Rom. 2 is that the law that all mankind has broken is that law which we all have written on our moral conscience which tells us right from wrong. It was repeated on Sinai but it isn't the ten commandments.

I do no t oppose a moral principle in believers I oppose putting them back under a law given on Sinai.

Twin, you are ignoring the obvious. The Law written on our hearts is the Covenant of Works (do and live, be ye perfect, etc.) and is universal.

Everyone is in covenant with God.

The elect are in covenant through the New Covenant of Grace. The fallen world are in covenant by way of the Covenant of Works!

You don't oppose a moral principle, I get it, but the moral principle the Third Use advocates is the moral principle of the Law. As a Reformed Baptist I agree with you that we are not under the Law for, "true believers are not under the law as a covenant of works, to be thereby justified or condemned" like Israel was or like the reprobate world is now.

I'll re-state the Law, "is of great use to them as well as to others, in that as a rule of life, informing them of the will of God and their duty, it directs and binds them to walk accordingly; discovering also the sinful pollutions of their natures, hearts, and lives, so as examining themselves thereby, they may come to further conviction of, humiliation for, and hatred against, sin" London Baptist Confession, 1689

We both have a moral principle Twin but is your biblical?

Yours in the Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Twin, you are ignoring the obvious. The Law written on our hearts is the Covenant of Works (do and live, be ye perfect, etc.) and is universal.

Everyone is in covenant with God.

The elect are in covenant through the New Covenant of Grace. The fallen world are in covenant by way of the Covenant of Works!

You don't oppose a moral principle, I get it, but the moral principle the Third Use advocates is the moral principle of the Law. As a Reformed Baptist I agree with you that we are not under the Law for, "true believers are not under the law as a covenant of works, to be thereby justified or condemned" like Israel was or like the reprobate world is now.

I'll re-state the Law, "is of great use to them as well as to others, in that as a rule of life, informing them of the will of God and their duty, it directs and binds them to walk accordingly; discovering also the sinful pollutions of their natures, hearts, and lives, so as examining themselves thereby, they may come to further conviction of, humiliation for, and hatred against, sin" London Baptist Confession, 1689

We both have a moral principle Twin but is your biblical?

Yours in the Lord.
The part that I disagree with is that it is a rule of life. I don't disagree that we have a moral conscience and that all of the Scriptures teach us how we are to act and think as believers. But we don't require a rule of life, meaning a set of rules to tame us and keep us in line with sanctions and rewards for disobedience or obedience, because as new creatures we have this written on our hearts. My objections have always been to the Reformed use of the law to beat the sheep with a whip to keep them in line.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
...and your conscience is informed by...The Moral Law! Amen. Or is your conscience working on a difference set of moral principles?
My conscience is informed by the morality written on my heart which is not a law but a knowledge of what is right. I need no law to keep me in line I have a love for Christ that keeps me in line.

Upvote 0