There is far too much seeking for inner safety. We need to win others to Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

revduane

Nov 3, 2005
✟2,866.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I asked a friend of mine once to go downtown with me and others, to witness on Saturday night, when they have what is called, "Downtown Saturday Night." Its where people open booths, and there is quite a diverse amount of people there. We would get together, and hand out tracts, and witness to people there. It was not always pleasant.

He told me that he didn't feel God leading him to do that. I asked him what he believed God was leading him to do. He wasn't sure, but he knew it wasn't that.

It always amazes me that some know that God doesn't want them to witness, although winning others, and planting seeds, and harvesting is very clear in the Bible. I have ran into this in so many places, and churches, and I have to admit it SOMETIMES irritates me, because it is just a plain fact, that they don't want to do it.

So many Christians want inner safety, and inner peace, and want to stay in their comfort zones, of sitting in the pew, and then going home and sitting on the couch. I know I may be a little harsh, but being in Evangelism, I see this stuff constantly, and it has to stop.

There is a kind of a joke that makes me laugh when christians are confronted with seemingly unpleasant things.

One day a pastor was preaching at his fairly new church, and he was in the spirit, and he started to preach about church growth and activity.

He said, "Saints right now this church is crawlin." They shouted, let it crawl rev, let it crawl.

He shouted, "This church has to develop its walkin legs, and it has to start to walk." They screamed, "Let it walk Rev, let it walk."

Then he shouted loud. "Saints this church has to get its runnin legs, and it has to run." They cried, "Let it run Rev, let it run."

He really yelled now. He said, " And to get this church a runnin, we goona have to win souls to Jesus, and giiiivvvvve sacrificially until we have a ruuuunnnnniiin church of brand new washed in the blood, and Ga-od lovin saints."

They all screamed. "Let it crawl Rev, let it crawl."

JessicaC

Apr 1, 2006
✟7,936.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I asked a friend of mine once to go downtown with me and others, to witness on Saturday night, when they have what is called, "Downtown Saturday Night." Its where people open booths, and there is quite a diverse amount of people there. We would get together, and hand out tracts, and witness to people there. It was not always pleasant.

He told me that he didn't feel God leading him to do that. I asked him what he believed God was leading him to do. He wasn't sure, but he knew it wasn't that.

It always amazes me that some know that God doesn't want them to witness, although winning others, and planting seeds, and harvesting is very clear in the Bible. I have ran into this in so many places, and churches, and I have to admit it SOMETIMES irritates me, because it is just a plain fact, that they don't want to do it.

So many Christians want inner safety, and inner peace, and want to stay in their comfort zones, of sitting in the pew, and then going home and sitting on the couch. I know I may be a little harsh, but being in Evangelism, I see this stuff constantly, and it has to stop.

There is a kind of a joke that makes me laugh when christians are confronted with seemingly unpleasant things.

One day a pastor was preaching at his fairly new church, and he was in the spirit, and he started to preach about church growth and activity.

He said, "Saints right now this church is crawlin." They shouted, let it crawl rev, let it crawl.

He shouted, "This church has to develop its walkin legs, and it has to start to walk." They screamed, "Let it walk Rev, let it walk."

Then he shouted loud. "Saints this church has to get its runnin legs, and it has to run." They cried, "Let it run Rev, let it run."

He really yelled now. He said, " And to get this church a runnin, we goona have to win souls to Jesus, and giiiivvvvve sacrificially until we have a ruuuunnnnniiin church of brand new washed in the blood, and Ga-od lovin saints."

They all screamed. "Let it crawl Rev, let it crawl."

I think there are a million different ways to spread the Gospel. I personally dislike the idea of handing out tracks on a Saturday night, or anywhere for that matter. There is no relationship with those people and it doesn't seem authentic to me. Not that you aren't a genuine person, I'm just saying for me, it's not the way I would like to be pursued if I didn't have a relationship with Christ, or how I want other's to know Jesus.

Honestly, you need a relationship with people. There needs to be an opportunity for follow ups and time to actually talk about such a significant decision. I think just living truthfully (not perfectly), and loving those around you speaks volumes, and when you are presented with opportunities to talk with people, then do so. Not to diminish evangelism by simply just living, but your life can sometimes speak for itself. The way people know you love Jesus is by the way you love (sorry I can't remember that verse reference). But, I can understand how the person you wanted to go with you didn't want to go. I think (at least for me) it's less about inner safety than it is about tracks being a disingenuous way of sharing Jesus, who is the most relational being.

Just a thought!

Upvote 0
S

Sheva

Yep. Christians need to put evangelism first. So what if sharing faith isn't fun. Jesus commands it. Remeber the great commision. Most Christians don't get out of their own back yard... they must be forgetting that go into "all the world" stuff.

That said, I'm bad at preaching the good news myself. I am, however, very good at making excuses.

But seriously, it's not a laughing matter.

Upvote 0

revduane

Nov 3, 2005
✟2,866.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think there are a million different ways to spread the Gospel. I personally dislike the idea of handing out tracks on a Saturday night, or anywhere for that matter. There is no relationship with those people and it doesn't seem authentic to me. Not that you aren't a genuine person, I'm just saying for me, it's not the way I would like to be pursued if I didn't have a relationship with Christ, or how I want other's to know Jesus.

Honestly, you need a relationship with people. There needs to be an opportunity for follow ups and time to actually talk about such a significant decision. I think just living truthfully (not perfectly), and loving those around you speaks volumes, and when you are presented with opportunities to talk with people, then do so. Not to diminish evangelism by simply just living, but your life can sometimes speak for itself. The way people know you love Jesus is by the way you love (sorry I can't remember that verse reference). But, I can understand how the person you wanted to go with you didn't want to go. I think (at least for me) it's less about inner safety than it is about tracks being a disingenuous way of sharing Jesus, who is the most relational being.

Just a thought!
I agree with you mostly.

However. I am basically talking about so many different Christians that won't do anything at all, from finding a common ground with a friend, to telling someone in the laundry mat about Jesus.

I can remember well, years ago when The Holy Spirit would tell my heart to just go up to a certain person and just tell them God loves them so much. I at that time, wouldn't do it, altough I wanted ministry. I found out then that if God can't trust me with a little, He can't trust me with alot.

There has to come a time in every Christians walk, that they prove their faith by their works. It is a very neccessary justification before men, to show them the proper example. We show our faith by believing in God's grace to save us, through the blood of His Son. We prove our faith by the works we do for justification before men. Not as men pleasers. But as godly examples to follow.

We say, "I have faith, and I love God." Great statement.

By our works we prove our faith and love for God. You don't just sit there a say I love you, although that is good to do.

We are to show our love in deed and in truth, not just word or tongue.

Upvote 0

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I find the most effective way of evangelisation to be in my daily life. Never be pushy, just be a good Christian and not to hide it.

I think a Christian lifestyle is quite different to a secular lifestyle, and people can tell if you're in love with Jesus. People are interested to know eg. why are you going to church (I go often during the week, between class etc) why are you praying? Why didn't you live with/sleep with your husband before you were married?

Being obviously Christian means oftentimes people approach me about Jesus.
I'm not a fan of tracts. They don't really say enough, and they aren't a demonstration of Christ's love. But they must work in some cases, because they're very popular. I guess it's important to have all different ways of evangelisation.

Reactions: NewToLife
Upvote 0

revduane

Nov 3, 2005
✟2,866.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I find the most effective way of evangelisation to be in my daily life. Never be pushy, just be a good Christian and not to hide it.

I think a Christian lifestyle is quite different to a secular lifestyle, and people can tell if you're in love with Jesus. People are interested to know eg. why are you going to church (I go often during the week, between class etc) why are you praying? Why didn't you live with/sleep with your husband before you were married?

Being obviously Christian means oftentimes people approach me about Jesus.
I'm not a fan of tracts. They don't really say enough, and they aren't a demonstration of Christ's love. But they must work in some cases, because they're very popular. I guess it's important to have all different ways of evangelisation.
You are absolutely right.

We all need to be examples.

There are times when we are to go out of our way when God speaks to us to approach someone we don't know, or they don't know us. The common ground we find is life in general.

I have seen hundreds lead to the Lord this way.

God bless.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My P.O.V. A tract handed to my girlfriend while we walked around Excelsior on Lake Minnetonka in Minnesota led me back to Christ. I have always wanted to thank the unselfish undeterred couple whom first approached my girlfriend, you'll probably not know in this lifetime what you've done for us.
Peace.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
(1Co 12:28-30 KJVA)

Upvote 0

Asinner

Seeking Salvation
Jul 15, 2005
✟22,772.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The most effective evangelism is the unceasing prayers for the salvation of the world.

As a great elder once said, "Their ears hear your words, but their heart hears your prayers."

elder%20porphyrios.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"Acquire the spirit of peace and thousands around you will be saved."
-St. Seraphim of Sarov

Some may be called to evangelize on the street. Some may not. The best way to testify that Jesus Christ is God come into the world to save our souls is to follow Him and be Christ like in our actions. Love others. By our love will others know that we are Christ's disciples. If you live a holy life and find the peace that God is waiting to give, others will see that and will want to know how they can do the same.

Upvote 0

BillR

Jan 28, 2005
✟8,389.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
(1Co 12:28-30 KJVA)
But we are all suppose to spread the good news, and we are all comanded to do it.

Upvote 0

revduane

Nov 3, 2005
✟2,866.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Even if you don't know what your talking about?
Scriptures already been pointed out that not all are to be evangelist.
You have to understand the office of the sojourner. It is about leading others. There are ones like myself that it is my ministry, my place to lead others. We are all called to go to the hi-ways, bi-ways and hedges.

We all have different jobs of course.; But we all have a common Savior. Jesus. To say it isn't our place to tell others is to not go and wake up someone if their house is on fire, because you thought they might be upset about it. If someones house is on fire, you would definitely tell them, and try to rescue them.

The eternal disposition of someones spirit is no different. NO DIFFERENT.

It may be harsh to say this, but it has to be said. If you work for Wal-Mart and you are working in the Electronics Dept, and you see someone robbing the Jewelry Dept right next to you, are you going to say to your boss when the robbers get away. "Sorry boss, but I didn't work in that dept. So I thought I shouldn't get involved." He would say, well I am glad you are safe, but you are also fired. We need to want ministry. Whatever it may be. God will show you. Peter was an Apostle. He also preached, taught, and evangelized. Paul was the same. God wants us to be in a ministry. Whether it is mopping floors, or starting churches. He wants you somewhere. If you make yourself unavailable, it will pass you by. Then it will be the case, of "So much for faith with works, like so many talk about."

Upvote 0
You have to understand the office of the sojourner. It is about leading others. There are ones like myself that it is my ministry, my place to lead others. We are all called to go to the hi-ways, bi-ways and hedges.

We all have different jobs of course.; But we all have a common Savior. Jesus. To say it isn't our place to tell others is to not go and wake up someone if their house is on fire, because you thought they might be upset about it. If someones house is on fire, you would definitely tell them, and try to rescue them.

The eternal disposition of someones spirit is no different. NO DIFFERENT.

It may be harsh to say this, but it has to be said. If you work for Wal-Mart and you are working in the Electronics Dept, and you see someone robbing the Jewelry Dept right next to you, are you going to say to your boss when the robbers get away. "Sorry boss, but I didn't work in that dept. So I thought I shouldn't get involved." He would say, well I am glad you are safe, but you are also fired. We need to want ministry. Whatever it may be. God will show you. Peter was an Apostle. He also preached, taught, and evangelized. Paul was the same. God wants us to be in a ministry. Whether it is mopping floors, or starting churches. He wants you somewhere. If you make yourself unavailable, it will pass you by. Then it will be the case, of "So much for faith with works, like so many talk about."

Well, that's my point. An individual can't do all the ministry of the Church. While the evangelist is out evangelizing, the Church is not. The Church should be praying for all people and doing her ministry, caring for souls put in her hands. Which is an evangelistic ministry itself. As the Holy Spirit leads others into her hands.:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To say it isn't our place to tell others is to not go and wake up someone if their house is on fire, because you thought they might be upset about it. If someones house is on fire, you would definitely tell them, and try to rescue them.

You analogy is based on a pretty bold (and false) assumption.

Besides, not all are called to be firemen. Some are dispatchers, some drive the truck, there are doctors that treat the victims, and finally those who help them recover financially and emotionally from the fire and rebuild lives and homes. Only a small portion actually are firefighters.

Upvote 0

Leah

2 Corinthians 5:21
May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with RevDuane about the OP.

Yes, there's alot of us that have a case of 'serve me' syndrome. For example, you quit going to church because you don't think you're getting enough attention. Or don't like how the pastor/preacher/priest reminds you of your sin when you know you have no intention of quitting your 'habit(s)'. Or cutting yourself of from other christians who don't think like you. Or expecting the church to come at your every beck and call yet you're not willing to do the same for others in return.

Christianity is not about us being comfortable, or doing the opposite of what God told us to do just becasue we feel it's not important or a waste of time. When He tells us to do something, especially when it comes to His Word, then we should have the good sense to DO IT.

Christianity is NOT about you. It's about Jesus. :D

Upvote 0

thejimbo

Aug 28, 2006
Minneapolis\Mankato MN
✟7,663.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I find if you are forceful to an unbeliever they tend to become spiteful ( I mean more hardcore unbelievers). That being said the human mind is generally lacking in understanding. An idea: you try to convert someone, and they don't take it well. They become angry and it seems to drive them further from God. But behind the scenes over time, tough they seemed worse, that pain and lack of understanding can be just what was needed to bring that person into the faith. I guess what I am trying to say is that because of our flaws we often don't see that although something might seem counter productive, patience would show it to be otherwise. Also when trying to teach someone, ( I don't convert people because God provides the faith and so converts, so when given the oppertunity I give them knowledge of the Word) it is very important to SPEAK THEIR LANGUAGE! If when speaking to a non-believer you use an overly "christian" tone it tends to scare people. I have discussed spiritual thing with one of my best friends for years. however we are polar opposites in terms of belief in Christ. He was purely interested in matters of the flesh. Over time however, he became more an more spiritualy aware. He still doesn't believe in Jesus but accepts the possibilty of a True God more and more. He is more interested in eastern philosphy, buddhism and yoga, but it is a form of progress. Funny thing is, that is almost identical to how I became a Christian. I studied eastern philosophy and martial arts. I practiced secular taoism, ( don't be fooled by bhuddism, yoga taoism,ect... most of these traditions exsisted first as secular practises, for health and mental awarness as well as spiritual awareness, only later becoming a form of religion) and while learning eastern ideas I grew intellectually, physically and spiritually,( other than opening my mind I became increasingly empathetic). anyway gentleness and patience worked for me I have seem it working for others as well. If I force Jesus down someones throat who won't accept it, it will likely make it that much harder for them. Often times I bring up teachings and certain point the Lord has made without using names or where these thing come from and have found unbelievers to accept the teachings of the Lord as long as no biblical referance is made. strange yes? well I suppose I have babbled long enough. The moral of the story- be gentle and speak their "language". Whats the point in telling someone something they can't understand?

Upvote 0

revduane

Nov 3, 2005
✟2,866.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You analogy is based on a pretty bold (and false) assumption.

Besides, not all are called to be firemen. Some are dispatchers, some drive the truck, there are doctors that treat the victims, and finally those who help them recover financially and emotionally from the fire and rebuild lives and homes. Only a small portion actually are firefighters.
Yeah. I guess you would think it false Oblio. I would be willing to bet, that if that same dispatcher was off of work, and driving down the road, and saw a house on fire, and saw people in it, he would call the fire dept, then he would do what he could to rescue those that he could rescue.

I am not talking about forcing ourselves on to someone. I am not talking about different places in ministry, though there are. You are orthodox, lion roar is catholic, I am non-denominational, others are angelican, presbyterian, lutheran, church of the brethren, baptist, but we all breath the same air in our atmosphere.

Any Christian can say all day, that it isn't their place to witness. They would be wrong. You can write it off to the four winds about certain offices, or certain jobs in the body of Christ, and not forcing ourselves on others. These are just excuses to not do it if you don't do it.

http://www.ericbarger.com/price_witness.htm

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.