muffler dragon

Ineffable
Apr 7, 2004
✟24,396.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
A lot of this consideration (of becoming gods) comes from Psalm 82:6.

Psalm 82
I (1) said, "You are gods,
And all of you are (2) sons of the Most High.

It's the verse that Y'shua referenced when the Sanhedrin asked him if he was the Son of God.

John 10
33 The Jews answered Him, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for (1) blasphemy; and because You, being a man, (2) make Yourself out to be God."
34 Jesus answered them, "Has it not been written in (3) your (4) Law, '(5) I SAID, YOU ARE GODS'? 35 "If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken),

And some take the reference of G-d talking with Moses that YHVH will make Moses as G-d to pharaoh.

Exodus 7

"I Will Stretch Out My Hand"

1 Then the LORD said to Moses, "(1) See, I make you as God to Pharaoh, and your brother Aaron shall be your prophet.

Take this for what you want, but this is the Scripture that many will use.

m.d.

Upvote 0

12volt_man

Jan 8, 2004
✟9,150.00
Faith
Christian
Celticflower said:
I would never want to be a god, big g or little g. Too much stress putting up with people like us and way too much responsability.

Celtie

Many years ago, the Christian sketch comedy group, Isaac Air Frieght had a skit called "Big G, little g", which centered around this very idea.

Twenty years later, it was made into the Jim Carrey movie, "Bruce Almighty."

Upvote 0

thaiv

ChristianforChrist
Jan 23, 2004
Dallas
✟15,650.00
Faith
Christian
I know Mormons speak about this in a strange way, but the Orthodox and Catholic understanding is different. When they say that believers can become God, they mean in life, nature, expression, and content. To my understanding, they do not mean this in the sense of being an object of worship or being part of the Godhead. That would be heretical.

Upvote 0

12volt_man

Jan 8, 2004
✟9,150.00
Faith
Christian
thaiv said:
When they say that believers can become God, they mean in life, nature, expression, and content. To my understanding, they do not mean this in the sense of being an object of worship or being part of the Godhead. That would be heretical.

And it's not heretical to say that they can become god in nature???

Upvote 0

thaiv

ChristianforChrist
Jan 23, 2004
Dallas
✟15,650.00
Faith
Christian
I beleive they mean God's divine nature. That is the life we receive when we are regenerated. Eventually this life transforms our soul and our body will be transfigured and we will be just as He is in life, nature, and expression, but not in the Godhead. This, I believe, is the Orthodox standing. I do not see anything immediately wrong with this. Ask an Orthodox person for better first hand information.

Reactions: Iacobus
Upvote 0

12volt_man

Jan 8, 2004
✟9,150.00
Faith
Christian
thaiv said:
I beleive they mean God's divine nature. That is the life we receive when we are regenerated. Eventually this life transforms our soul and our body will be transfigured and we will be just as He is in life, nature, and expression, but not in the Godhead. This, I believe, is the Orthodox standing. I do not see anything immediately wrong with this. Ask an Orthodox person for better first hand information.

It may be the Orthodox standing, but it's not orthodoxy.

We are not gods. We never will be gods. God is God.

The idea that we can become gods is the same kind of pride that led to the fall.

If you remember, the Serpent told Eve that she could become a god and she fell for it. It all went downhill after that.

Could you please show us where in scripture it says that we will take on God's divine nature?

Are you a Mormon?

Upvote 0

muffler dragon

Ineffable
Apr 7, 2004
✟24,396.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
One thing that has not been addressed on this thread that I think might be of assistance is the understanding that the statement of 'god' can also be interpreted as a giving of authority. When YHVH stated that Moses would be as 'God' to Pharaoh, He (YHVH) was essentially giving him (Moses) authority. That is not a blasphemous consideration.

Upvote 0

12volt_man

Jan 8, 2004
✟9,150.00
Faith
Christian
muffler dragon said:
One thing that has not been addressed on this thread that I think might be of assistance is the understanding that the statement of 'god' can also be interpreted as a giving of authority. When YHVH stated that Moses would be as 'God' to Pharaoh, He (YHVH) was essentially giving him (Moses) authority. That is not a blasphemous consideration.

Right. In addition, the judges of Israel were referred to as gods and Jesus referred as gods.

In both cases, this is referring to their authority to judge, much the same as when Jesus told Pilate, "You have no authority over me, lest it be given by God" (paraphrased).

The problem is that thiav is talking about become a god in nature.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pilgrim 33

Apr 28, 2004
Texas
✟1,068.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hector Medina said:
theologians think they get to be God!

John 17:20-26, "Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me. Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world. O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me. And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them."

Upvote 0

Anti-Fear

Repent Now
Sep 21, 2003
Berkeley
✟16,368.00
Faith
Protestant
Let me clarify something. What thaiv believes is a doctrine of Watchman Nee and Witness Lee who founded the "Recovery Church"/"Local Church"
They do believe in something similar to becoming God or like God.
What they believe is NOT the same as what Eastern Orthodox beleive.
You can read about this here (whether you agree or not is up to you) http://thebereans.net/cor-theosis.shtml

Upvote 0

thaiv

ChristianforChrist
Jan 23, 2004
Dallas
✟15,650.00
Faith
Christian
Anti-fear,

I read the article you provided on the link. Their main argument was the saying, "a part of God." Hank Hanegraaff said, "it is not intended to convey that man is equal with, or a part of, God." To be a part of God in the context of this quote is to be equal with God. To be equal with God, you must be part of the God head or a god yourself in the sense of worship. Then the article goes on to quote Witness Lee saying, "To be made a part of God—to be constituted with God in His life and nature, is more than being one with God. We see God that we may be constituted with God." In the context of this quote, Witness Lee is saying that to be a part of God is simply to be constitued with God in life and nature. This is by the work of the indwelling Spirit, which Hank Hanegraaff spoke of. The strategy of this apologetic article was to take one definition of a phrase and fit it with the same phrase in a seperate quote. The problem is that the phrase "a part of God" is used in two different senses. Therefore, their argument is not true to what was actually being said. Another thing that weakens their argument is that they only used one quote.

If you actually research Witness Lee's standpoint from firsthand material that he wrote on this matter you will see that it is identical with what the early church fathers of the Eastern Orthodox Church believed.

Upvote 0

Anti-Fear

Repent Now
Sep 21, 2003
Berkeley
✟16,368.00
Faith
Protestant
thaiv said:
Anti-fear,

I read the article you provided on the link. Their main argument was the saying, "a part of God." Hank Hanegraaff said, "it is not intended to convey that man is equal with, or a part of, God." To be a part of God in the context of this quote is to be equal with God. To be equal with God, you must be part of the God head or a god yourself in the sense of worship. Then the article goes on to quote Witness Lee saying, "To be made a part of God—to be constituted with God in His life and nature, is more than being one with God. We see God that we may be constituted with God." In the context of this quote, Witness Lee is saying that to be a part of God is simply to be constitued with God in life and nature. This is by the work of the indwelling Spirit, which Hank Hanegraaff spoke of. The strategy of this apologetic article was to take one definition of a phrase and fit it with the same phrase in a seperate quote. The problem is that the phrase "a part of God" is used in two different senses. Therefore, their argument is not true to what was actually being said. Another thing that weakens their argument is that they only used one quote.

If you actually research Witness Lee's standpoint from firsthand material that he wrote on this matter you will see that it is identical with what the early church fathers of the Eastern Orthodox Church believed.
Well obviously many people, including Orthodox Christian themselves, already researched this topic and at the least the one who is quoted on the site disagrees.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pilgrim 33

Apr 28, 2004
Texas
✟1,068.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
the Man Becoming God article:
The language used is polytheistic, and in the light of Scripture should be rejected; but the doctrine intended by this language in the context of the teachings of the fathers and of Eastern Orthodoxy is quite biblical, and is thus not actually polytheistic.
Everything God does Satan has a corresponding counterfeit. "...you shall be as godS..." is the counterfeit.

However, for those in Christ, to be where He is, to judge all things (even angels), bespeaks not of polytheism but of an immersion within the Trinity just as indefinable as It, Itself, is.

"...Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him..."

So who's to say for sure one way or the other anyway?

It just could well be...

Upvote 0

Pilgrim 33

Apr 28, 2004
Texas
✟1,068.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
raphe said:
Romans 1:21  Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

Out of subject's context. "The just shall live by faith"

2 Corinthians 10:5  Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Refers to spiritual warfare and 'where' the battlefield truly is, in man's mind; thus, also, outside of thread's subject.

Upvote 0

Pilgrim 33

Apr 28, 2004
Texas
✟1,068.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
thaiv said:
To be equal with God, you must be part of the God head

"To be made a part of God—to be constituted with God in His life and nature, is more than being one with God. We see God that we may be constituted with God."
Why not?

For a son to be an heir and inherit what his father leaves behind the father must first leave a will and then die. God did both, He wrote a will and then died.

The (Jewish) sons will inherit what they were promised and the adopted sons (Christians) will inherit what they were promised. The Jews are God's promised earthly children who will rule the new earth and the Christians are God's promised heavenly children who will rule all.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.