Los Angeles, CA
✟11,799.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One would've thought a simply hanging would've sufficed; however, apparently, that's not nearly dead enough for some . . . ?! :scratch:

The sentence was actually "hanged until half dead, drawn and quartered." That's why it was specified "hanging by the neck until dead."

They'd hang the condemned but not by dropping him from a height to snap the neck, instead they'd lift them up by the neck several times, choking them but not killing them. They are then strapped to a table, their abdomen opened up and the organs of the abdomen cavity are removed...with the condemned alive and conscious to feel it all. The organs would be burned with the condemned watching. They'd then decapitate the condemned (the coup de grace), post the head on a spike and separate the body into quarters and have them carried to various parts of the kingdom and put on display.

The idea is to give as grisly and painful a death a possible in full public view. Similar in motivation as crucifixion was for the Romans.

I'm sure some would like this to be the punishment for being gay as well.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes, yes; mine was a rather tongue-in-cheek comment. Not that I think a simple hanging wouldn't be punishment or justice enough for a murderer, rapist, or pederast; but I think the whole 'drawing and quartering' bit to be rather excessive and approaching the inhumane . . .

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Virgil the Roman said:
A wonder that Persia would be persian or indeed filled with persians?! ;)
The point being that Persians have a very particular cultural character individually, collectively and as a nation.

You wouldn't get anything much like modern Iran without that.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Indeed.

I wonder how many that advocate for a Catholic Theocracy would have joined the Papal Zouaves and given their lives to resist Italian unification?
as a Catholic, as a Christian and as a lover of justice I would be called to act

the freedom and safety of the Pope was threatened, as a Catholic how could you not act?

a Christian State was being attacked by blood thirsty armies filled with atheists and Freemasons, as a Christian how could you not act?

unlawful armies tried to take the land of a sovereign prince, as someone who loves justice how could you not act?

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
as a Catholic, as a Christian and as a lover of justice I would be called to act

the freedom and safety of the Pope was threatened, as a Catholic how could you not act?

a Christian State was being attacked by blood thirsty armies filled with atheists and Freemasons, as a Christian how could you not act?

unlawful armies tried to take the land of a sovereign prince, as someone who loves justice how could you not act?

The battle was not about the Pope, it was about land, riches and representation. The Pope was not harmed and had the opposition wished to harm him, the Zouaves could not have prevented it. Their blood was shed in vain, in a losing battle over dirt and money.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟189,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hey,

A lot of threads seem to have ended with the issue that because the secular government has no obligation to uphold Christian values those values are inevitably marginalized for ones that are secular.

So I ask this, would living in a Catholic version of Iran's Islamic Republic be a bad thing? Why or why not?

Look at the Middle Ages through to the Reformation when the Church had great power in Western Europe, and you'll see that a Catholic Theocratic government would be bad.

Jim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The battle was not about the Pope, it was about land, riches and representation. The Pope was not harmed and had the opposition wished to harm him, the Zouaves could not have prevented it. Their blood was shed in vain, in a losing battle over dirt and money.

the Pope was the lawful and established government.

fighting to protect lawful authority from unlawful authority is an obligation on all people.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
the Pope was the lawful and established government.

fighting to protect lawful authority from unlawful authority is an obligation on all people.

Oh. I can think of a dozen or so places off the top of my head where that is happening today. I trust you fall under the "all people" category. Do the trenches have wifi? ;)

Upvote 0