✟1,356,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Philippians 3:17 ESV

“Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us.”

In my experience, from my observations of people, I have known very few people in my lifetime who I would want to imitate. I know not one of us is perfect, but I just see so many people claiming Jesus as Savior but still walking according to the flesh, living to please their sensual appetites.

Or, I see many who are all caught up in the world, and the things this world has to offer, so much so that they have adopted the thinking and the ways of the world. Thus, they are not passionate about their faith in Jesus Christ. They are not on fire for Jesus. They are more lukewarm. And, they appear to be content with the status quo, too, with no apparent hunger to change.

Many of them are religious. They pray before meals and they read their Bibles or a daily devotion. They attend church gatherings, now mostly virtually. And, they do good and kind things for other people in their communities or in their families. But Jesus is not their lives. He is not the whole of or the center of their lives.

So, I find it difficult these days to find anyone I would want to imitate, that I would want to keep my eyes on and to follow his or her example.

But, I am encouraged by many brothers and sisters in Christ I have met, mostly online, who appear to be walking with the Lord, and who are serious about following Jesus with their lives, and who share the Word of God with one another, and who encourage one another in their walks of faith.

But let me say this. We must be careful about following the examples of others, for not everyone has faith, although they may profess that they do. Not everyone who says “Lord, Lord,” truly knows the Lord. Not everyone lives what they profess. So, we must be very discerning in these matters. So, what matters most is we keep our eyes on Jesus, and we imitate him.

Philippians 3:18-19 ESV

“For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things.”

The sad reality is that this describes a lot of people who call themselves Christians, and who claim to be followers of Jesus Christ. And, I have found that this seems to be the rule more than the exception, and that is troubling, indeed!

I believe this behavior is a heart issue, and this is a sin issue, and it stems from humans choosing their own fleshly appetites over God (Romans 1).

But, it is magnified, supported, and given validity and acceptance by man-made religion and man-made gospels which deny the Lordship of Jesus Christ, and which coddle people in their sins, and which make no demands for them to change or for them to be free from their sinful addictions.

A lot of these addiction support groups, even the Christian ones, do not help the addict to freedom from his addiction, but they sympathize with him in his addiction, and they give validity to his “struggle” with sin, even if that “struggle” with sin has been going on for many years without deliverance from his addiction. For, many of them believe they can’t be delivered.

The church at large in America has mostly pacified people in their sins. And, so they end up supporting, validating, accepting, and approving of people’s walks in the flesh, which they call “struggling” with sin, but which means regularly giving in to their fleshly appetites. And, so the church at large is not insisting that the Christians in their midst live like Christians.

So, they end up validating sinful conduct such as what is immoral, corrupt, wicked, depraved, perverse, and dishonest. Thus, they encourage their flock to sin against God, and to sin against other humans, and to cause them harm. And, the leadership won’t rise up and defend the ones being harmed by these people’s sins, nor will they confront the offenders in their sins. For, if truth be told, many of them are living in addiction to sin, too.

Also, the church at large and many of these “Christian” support groups are encouraging spiritual laziness, i.e. the shirking of biblical and moral duties and responsibilities. And, they are supporting and accepting habitual stumbling, adulteries, abuses, excuses, unfaithfulness, lies, deceptions, and manipulations, and thus the destruction of human lives and of marriages and of families. So, they approve the spiritual and moral decline of the church.

Philippians 3:20-21 ESV

“But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.”

So, this is in direct contrast to what we read in vv. 18-19. Those of us who have our citizenship in heaven are not to have as our god (our idol) the things of this sinful world, and the fleshly appetites of our sinful natures.

We are not to live our lives on this earth consistently “struggling” with sin, in the sense of habitually giving in to the lusts of our flesh. For, if we walk (in practice, as a matter of habit) according to our flesh, we are going to die in our sins, not have eternal life with God (Gal. 5:16-21; Eph. 5:3-6).

But, if by the Spirit we are putting to death the deeds of the flesh, and if we are walking (in lifestyle) according to the Spirit, and not according to the flesh, then we have salvation from sin and eternal life with God (Rom. 6:1-23; Rom. 8:1-17; Eph. 4:17-24; 1 Jn. 1:5-9; Tit. 2:11-14; Lu. 9:23-26).

For, Jesus Christ truly gave up his life for us on that cross to free us from our addictions to sin and to eradicate sin from our lives. He died that we might die with him to sin and live to him and to his righteousness. He died that we might no longer live for ourselves, but for him who gave his life up for us (1 Pet. 2:24; 2 Co. 5:15, 21; Tit. 2:11-14; Rom. 6:1-23).

We are also not to coddle other “believers in Jesus” in their sins, or to validate their “struggle,” and thus to allow for them to continue living in sin year after year after year, while they go on hurting other people, while making excuses for why they are not living in freedom from slavery to sin.

But we are to confront sin in sinful humans. And, as the body of Christ, we are not to tolerate willful premeditated and habitual sin within the congregation of the saints. We are to call for repentance and obedience, and if they refuse, they are to be excluded from the fellowship of the body of Christ. But instead they get embraced.

And, oftentimes, those who do confront sin, and who call for repentance and obedience, are the ones who get shunned, instead. And, this is just wrong!

Eternal Father, Strong to Save

William Whiting

Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm does bind the restless wave,
Who bids the mighty ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep;
O hear us when we cry to Thee
For those in peril on the sea.

O Savior, whose almighty word
The winds and waves submissive heard,
Who walked upon the foaming deep,
And calm amid the rage did sleep;

O Holy Spirit, who did brood
Upon the waters dark and rude,
And bid their angry tumult cease,
And give for wild confusion peace;

O Trinity of love and pow'r,
Your children shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire, and foe,
Protect them where-so-e'er they go;
Thus, evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea.

*Caution: This link may contain ads

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Philippians 3:17 ESV

“Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us.”

In my experience, from my observations of people, I have known very few people in my lifetime who I would want to imitate. I know not one of us is perfect, but I just see so many people claiming Jesus as Savior but still walking according to the flesh, living to please their sensual appetites.

Or, I see many who are all caught up in the world, and the things this world has to offer, so much so that they have adopted the thinking and the ways of the world. Thus, they are not passionate about their faith in Jesus Christ. They are not on fire for Jesus. They are more lukewarm. And, they appear to be content with the status quo, too, with no apparent hunger to change.

Many of them are religious. They pray before meals and they read their Bibles or a daily devotion. They attend church gatherings, now mostly virtually. And, they do good and kind things for other people in their communities or in their families. But Jesus is not their lives. He is not the whole of or the center of their lives.

So, I find it difficult these days to find anyone I would want to imitate, that I would want to keep my eyes on and to follow his or her example.

But, I am encouraged by many brothers and sisters in Christ I have met, mostly online, who appear to be walking with the Lord, and who are serious about following Jesus with their lives, and who share the Word of God with one another, and who encourage one another in their walks of faith.

But let me say this. We must be careful about following the examples of others, for not everyone has faith, although they may profess that they do. Not everyone who says “Lord, Lord,” truly knows the Lord. Not everyone lives what they profess. So, we must be very discerning in these matters. So, what matters most is we keep our eyes on Jesus, and we imitate him.

Philippians 3:18-19 ESV

“For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things.”

The sad reality is that this describes a lot of people who call themselves Christians, and who claim to be followers of Jesus Christ. And, I have found that this seems to be the rule more than the exception, and that is troubling, indeed!

I believe this behavior is a heart issue, and this is a sin issue, and it stems from humans choosing their own fleshly appetites over God (Romans 1).

But, it is magnified, supported, and given validity and acceptance by man-made religion and man-made gospels which deny the Lordship of Jesus Christ, and which coddle people in their sins, and which make no demands for them to change or for them to be free from their sinful addictions.

A lot of these addiction support groups, even the Christian ones, do not help the addict to freedom from his addiction, but they sympathize with him in his addiction, and they give validity to his “struggle” with sin, even if that “struggle” with sin has been going on for many years without deliverance from his addiction. For, many of them believe they can’t be delivered.

The church at large in America has mostly pacified people in their sins. And, so they end up supporting, validating, accepting, and approving of people’s walks in the flesh, which they call “struggling” with sin, but which means regularly giving in to their fleshly appetites. And, so the church at large is not insisting that the Christians in their midst live like Christians.

So, they end up validating sinful conduct such as what is immoral, corrupt, wicked, depraved, perverse, and dishonest. Thus, they encourage their flock to sin against God, and to sin against other humans, and to cause them harm. And, the leadership won’t rise up and defend the ones being harmed by these people’s sins, nor will they confront the offenders in their sins. For, if truth be told, many of them are living in addiction to sin, too.

Also, the church at large and many of these “Christian” support groups are encouraging spiritual laziness, i.e. the shirking of biblical and moral duties and responsibilities. And, they are supporting and accepting habitual stumbling, adulteries, abuses, excuses, unfaithfulness, lies, deceptions, and manipulations, and thus the destruction of human lives and of marriages and of families. So, they approve the spiritual and moral decline of the church.

Philippians 3:20-21 ESV

“But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.”

So, this is in direct contrast to what we read in vv. 18-19. Those of us who have our citizenship in heaven are not to have as our god (our idol) the things of this sinful world, and the fleshly appetites of our sinful natures.

We are not to live our lives on this earth consistently “struggling” with sin, in the sense of habitually giving in to the lusts of our flesh. For, if we walk (in practice, as a matter of habit) according to our flesh, we are going to die in our sins, not have eternal life with God (Gal. 5:16-21; Eph. 5:3-6).

But, if by the Spirit we are putting to death the deeds of the flesh, and if we are walking (in lifestyle) according to the Spirit, and not according to the flesh, then we have salvation from sin and eternal life with God (Rom. 6:1-23; Rom. 8:1-17; Eph. 4:17-24; 1 Jn. 1:5-9; Tit. 2:11-14; Lu. 9:23-26).

For, Jesus Christ truly gave up his life for us on that cross to free us from our addictions to sin and to eradicate sin from our lives. He died that we might die with him to sin and live to him and to his righteousness. He died that we might no longer live for ourselves, but for him who gave his life up for us (1 Pet. 2:24; 2 Co. 5:15, 21; Tit. 2:11-14; Rom. 6:1-23).

We are also not to coddle other “believers in Jesus” in their sins, or to validate their “struggle,” and thus to allow for them to continue living in sin year after year after year, while they go on hurting other people, while making excuses for why they are not living in freedom from slavery to sin.

But we are to confront sin in sinful humans. And, as the body of Christ, we are not to tolerate willful premeditated and habitual sin within the congregation of the saints. We are to call for repentance and obedience, and if they refuse, they are to be excluded from the fellowship of the body of Christ. But instead they get embraced.

And, oftentimes, those who do confront sin, and who call for repentance and obedience, are the ones who get shunned, instead. And, this is just wrong!

Eternal Father, Strong to Save

William Whiting

Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm does bind the restless wave,
Who bids the mighty ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep;

O Savior, whose almighty word
The winds and waves submissive heard,
Who walked upon the foaming deep,
And calm amid the rage did sleep;

O Holy Spirit, who did brood
Upon the waters dark and rude,
And bid their angry tumult cease,
And give for wild confusion peace;

O Trinity of love and pow'r,
Your children shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire, and foe,
Protect them where-so-e'er they go;
Thus, evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea.

*Caution: This link may contain ads
A very good post. You need to be reading the New Testament fairly often, before you start to see, what your seeing.

It is a painful insight into the Christian world.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How can a person know if his or her life is built worthy of God's mercy and eternal salvation?
Because the fruit of the Holy Spirit will be growing in your life, and that's how you know. The more time you spend with Jesus the more your life will reflect His glory. It's simple really.

Upvote 0

The Lost Follower

Jun 6, 2020
SAR
✟10,499.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because the fruit of the Holy Spirit will be growing in your life, and that's how you know. The more time you spend with Jesus the more your life will reflect His glory. It's simple really.
Hi David!
1 Corinthians 1:3.
Thanks a lot for your encouraging words. May I know where in the Bible I can find such statement?
Christ love,
TLF.

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Spurgeon's reading today, June 14th

1 Samuel 12:22 'For the Lord will not forsake his people for his great name's sake: because it hath pleased the Lord to make you his people'

God's choice of his people is the reason for his abiding by them, and not forsaking them. He choice them for his love, and he loves them for his choice. His own good pleasure is the source of their election, and his election is the reason for the continuance of his pleasure in them. It would dishonour his great name for him to forsake them, since it would either show that he made and error in his choice, or that he was fickle in his love. God's love has this glory, that it never changes, and this glory he will never tarnish.
By all the memories of the Lord's former loving-kindness let us rest assured that he will not forsake us. He who has gone so far as to make us his people, will not undo the creation of his grace. He has not wrought such wonders for us that he might leave us, and we may be sure that he has not died in vain. Can he forsake those for whom he shed his blood? Because he has hitherto taken pleasure still to bless us. Our Lord Jesus is no changeable Lover. Having loved his own, he loves them to the end.

Amen.

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi David!
Thanks a lot for your encouraging words. May I know where in the Bible I can find such statement?
Christ love,
TLF.

What is Grace? Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast.

The Gift of the Spirit is by Faith, not by Law-works. Galatians 3

The fruits of the spirit are many. Start with Galatians 5:18-26

god bless

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi David!
Christ love,
TLF.
1 John 3:11
For this is the message which you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

1 John 3:14
We know that we have passed out of death into life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love abides in death.

1 John 3:23
This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us.

1 John 4:7-8
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,356,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A very good post. You need to be reading the New Testament fairly often, before you start to see, what your seeing.

It is a painful insight into the Christian world.
Yes, it is, and yes, I have been reading the New Testament a very long time. I am 70, and I have been reading the Scriptures since elementary school, but much more these past 20 years. And, yes, the more you study the Scriptures, and the more you walk in that truth, the more your eyes begin to be opened to what is going on all around you. But, that insight comes from God, so all glory to God.

Upvote 0

The Lost Follower

Jun 6, 2020
SAR
✟10,499.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is Grace? Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast.

The Gift of the Spirit is by Faith, not by Law-works. Galatians 3

The fruits of the spirit are many. Start with Galatians 5:18-26

god bless

Colossians 1:2
Your enlightenment is highly appreciated and will be kept in my heart. May the Creator multiply and scatter abroad spiritually-minded people like you.
Christ love,
TLF.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Lost Follower

Jun 6, 2020
SAR
✟10,499.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 John 3:11
For this is the message which you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

1 John 3:14
We know that we have passed out of death into life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love abides in death.

1 John 3:23
This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us.

1 John 4:7-8
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

Hi, David!
1 Colossians 1:2
The words are true. Thank you so much for taking the time in searching for answers to my question. Keep on helping the thirsty souls and bring them to our Lord Jesus Christ that they may become like you.
Christ love,
TLF.

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian