✟84,028.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah prophesied the return of the Jews from exile in 10:
20 In that day the remnant of Israel and the survivors of the house of Jacob will no more lean on him who struck them, but will lean on the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, in truth.
i.e., the Lord's anointing
24Therefore thus says the Lord GOD of hosts: “O my people, who dwell in Zion, be not afraid of the Assyrians when they strike with the rod and lift up their staff against you as the Egyptians did. 25For in a very little while my fury will come to an end, and my anger will be directed to their destruction. 26And the LORD of hosts will wield against them a whip, as when he struck Midian at the rock of Oreb. And his staff will be over the sea, and he will lift it as he did in Egypt. 27And in that day his burden will depart from your shoulder, and his yoke from your neck; and the yoke will be broken because of the fat [H8081].”
I like the humorous imagery: The neck of the remnant grows fat and large to the extent that it breaks the yoke under the pressure of the fat :)

Strong's Hebrew: 8081. שָׁ֫מֶן (shemen) — 193 Occurrences

NASB Translation:
choice (1), fatness (2), fertile (2), fertile* (1), lavish (1), oil (176), oils (3), ointment (1), olive (6), wild* (1).
Brown-Driver-Briggs:
  1. fat, fatness
  2. a. oil, specifically olive-oil, as rich product
At Biblehub, 14 versions use "fat" or "fatness"; 10 use "anointing" [oil]; 3 use "prosperity".

I'd just take all three. The remnants in their local communities would grow prosperous and fat by the anointing of God. They would no longer be under the harsh yoke of their former enemies.

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
quikfind: (for researching, not confirmed) :

"Here is my very literal translation of Isa 10:27 -

Almost all version try to interpret this verse by translating the last phrase with something like:

• NIV: because you have grown so fat.
  • BSB: because your neck will be too large
  • KJV: because of the anointing
  • CSB: because your neck will be too large
  • ISV: because you've become obese
  • YLT: because of prosperity
None of these words actually exist in the Hebrew."
-----------------------------------------------------
and
perhaps for /with/ a bit of wisdom or simple caution :
"a common Christian mistake to adjust the biblical text to match Christian theology. That’s how you end up confused over simple statement like this."...
Yes we all know all scripture speaks of Christ...John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Samuel anointed David with the horn of oil, then the Spirit of the Lord came upon David. the Lord said David He Had found, and anointed him with His holy oil, and in the Lords name, Davids horn would be exalted.

Gods said there ) in Jerusalem) will I make the horn of David to bud: He has ordained a lamp for His anointed.

The yoke is destroyed because of the anointing. ( with the holy oil is the anointing)

God raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David.

God had sworn with an oath to David, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne.

God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power. ( anointed with the oil of gladness above His fellows)

1 Samuel 16:13 Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the Lord came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel rose up, and went to Ramah.

Psalm 45:7 Thou lovest righteousness, and hatest wickedness: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

Psalm 89:20 I have found David my servant; with my holy oil have I anointed him:
21 With whom my hand shall be established: mine arm also shall strengthen him.
22 The enemy shall not exact upon him; nor the son of wickedness afflict him.
23 And I will beat down his foes before his face, and plague them that hate him.
24 But my faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him: and in my name shall his horn be exalted.

Psalm 132:17 There will I make the horn of David to bud: I have ordained a lamp for mine anointed.

Isaiah 10:27 And it shall come to pass in that day, that his burden shall be taken away from off thy shoulder, and his yoke from off thy neck, and the yoke shall be destroyed because of the anointing.

Luke 1:69 And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David;

Acts 2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

Acts 10:38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

Hebrews 1:9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

Upvote 0

Peacemaker1

Jul 1, 2023
North
✟17,519.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All the talk on these forums and nothing of testimony for belief in Jesus Christ, only offering the wisdom of this world instead of the wisdom that is from above, and in simplicity, such as Jesus has to follows suit to be baptized just as David we saw, was, by Samuel, and Jesus fulfilled all righteousness to be baptized then, of John.

Matthew 3:14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.
16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Upvote 0