INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
God sent the Flood in anger now, did He? is that what the Bible says?

Genesis 6:6 ¶ And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

p.s. I like your tag line.
What a profound statement coming from an omniscient and omnipotent being! He repented? At least he accepted that he could and did make a mistake! No one is infallible, not even the Gods!

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,916,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What a profound statement coming from an omniscient and omnipotent being! He repented?
Read that verse again a little more slowly; and give heed to syntax -- :)

Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Read that verse again a little more slowly; and give heed to syntax -- :)
It is as clear as day. In fact this is the second time the Lord has regretted doing something. Remember when he regretted having made Soul king?

My command of the English language may be wanting but in Elizabethan English the following sentence: And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart means only one thing: That God was sorry for having made man and he grieved for it.

New International Version (©1984)
The LORD was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain.
New Living Translation (©2007)
So the LORD was sorry he had ever made them and put them on the earth. It broke his heart.

English Standard Version (©2001)
And the LORD was sorry that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
The LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
The LORD was sorry that he had made humans on the earth, and he was heartbroken.

King James Bible
And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

American King James Version
And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

American Standard Version
And it repented Jehovah that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

Bible in Basic English
And the Lord had sorrow because he had made man on the earth, and grief was in his heart.

Douay-Rheims Bible
It repented him that he had made man on the earth. And being touched inwardly with sorrow of heart,

Darby Bible Translation
And Jehovah repented that he had made Man on the earth, and it grieved him in his heart.

English Revised Version

Webster's Bible Translation
And the LORD repented that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

World English Bible
Yahweh was sorry that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him in his heart.

Young's Literal Translation
and Jehovah repenteth that He hath made man in the earth, and He grieveth Himself -- unto His heart.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,916,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My command of the English language may be wanting but in Elizabethan English the following sentence: And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart means only one thing: That God was sorry for having made man and he grieved for it.
Suit yourself.

Do you agree that He did not send the Flood in anger?

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Suit yourself.

According to the mythology, He sent the flood in a clumsy attempt to cover His tracks and wipe the slate clean -- a pity He couldn't do that right; neither the first nor the last in a long string of failures.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,916,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
According to the mythology, He sent the flood in a clumsy attempt to cover His tracks and wipe the slate clean --
Right -- is that why He documented it in His Diary, then preserved this Diary for all generations to read?

So much for covering His tracks.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Right -- is that why He documented it in His Diary, then preserved this Diary for all generations to read?

So much for covering His tracks.

You're still hopelessly in love with your idea of the Bible being "God's diary."

That's sad, AV -- one would think by now that you'd graduate to a more adult theology.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟395,051.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You're still hopelessly in love with your idea of the Bible being "God's diary."

That's sad, AV -- one would think by now that you'd graduate to a more adult theology.

Prepare for verse about coming as a little child :)

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Suit yourself.

He killed every thing with the breath of life... you don't call that angry? Was it a measured response? What did the poor aardvarks do to deserve death?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,916,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He killed every thing with the breath of life... you don't call that angry?
It doesn't matter what I call it, does it?

Our motto isn't:

• The Bible said it, I believe it, that settles it.
... our motto is:

• The Bible said it, that settles it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat

Our motto isn't:

... our motto is:

But of course -- you'd never dream of putting yourself after the Bible -- your preeminence is inferred, not stated.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Our motto isn't:

... our motto is:

Your motto should be: "My interpretation of the Bible says it, that settles it." In other words, "I say so, that settles it."

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,916,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Like I said: GOD DID IT CASE CLOSED! One cannot possibly hope to debate against the unfalsifiable!:wave:
Actually they don't.

That is so powerful a truth, even I hesitate to use it; preferring instead to make suppositions, like I did with Neptune.

I will if I have to though -- I call it, "pulling rank".

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Actually they don't.

That is so powerful a truth, even I hesitate to use it; preferring instead to make suppositions, like I did with Neptune.

Too bad your rank is imaginary.

:wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,916,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Too bad your rank is imaginary.

:wave:
Believe me, AirPo, if everyone pulled rank like that, the Internet scientists would file out of here faster than a Greyhound after a jackrabbit.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Believe me, AirPo, if everyone pulled rank like that, the Internet scientists would file out of here faster than a Greyhound after a jackrabbit.

Go ahead then... you Internet Bible Scholars can try and chase us "Internet Scientists" out any time. Are you guys waiting for an invitation? :p

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually they don't.

And given that your suppositions are so absurd, insipid, and untenable, you find yourself "pulling rank" every time.

A pity, then that you actually have no rank to pull -- just delusions of your own supremacy.

Upvote 0