• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

the word "Christian" as an adjective in other languages

Discussion in 'Languages' started by Red Gold, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Red Gold

Red Gold Well-Known Member

+171
    Germany
    Catholic
    Married
    the word "Christian" as an adjective in other languages

in German it is like this:

noun, male: 1 Christ, 2 Christen
    noun, female: 1 Christin, 2 Christinnen

adjective: christlich - with a small c

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Occams Barber

Occams Barber Newbie Supporter

+5,169
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced
    There is no clear rule on whether '(C)(c)hristian should be capitalised when used as an adjective in English.

There is a similar confusion with other religious adjectives although the tendency is to capitalise.

The rule I apply is to capitalise when in doubt as a token of respect for the views of others. There is a similar issue when discussing God (Christian) versus god (generic).

OB

3. Red Gold

+171
    Germany
    Catholic
    Married
    OK - and what about other languages now?

What is Christian or christian as an adjectiv in other languages?
    Maybe I will ask Google for it. :)

4. Red Gold

+171
    Germany
    Catholic
    Married
  5. Red Gold

+171
    Germany
    Catholic
    Married
  6. Occams Barber

+5,169
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced
    Be cautious of over simplifying. Capital Letters can be used for a range of practical, social and cultural reasons. (are German nouns still capitalised?). There is no reason to assume that the French or Swedish or English see capitalisation in the same way.

In 19th century English publications capitalisation was often used for emphasis on signage etc. I will occasionally used capitals as an ironic device introducing an inappropriate formality as a form of subtle humour. Look at modern headlines as an indication of the Range of Uses for Capitalisation.

My sense is while there may be some formal rules around capitalisation the real usage is informal and used for effect. I also suspect that non-European languages would see caps (where they exist) in a different cultural light.

OB

Letter case - Wikipedia

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  7. Red Gold

+171
    Germany
    Catholic
    Married
    Sorry - my topic is not about capital letters at all.
    :)

8. Red Gold

+171
    Germany
    Catholic
    Married
    What about other translations for the German word "christlich"?

9. Occams Barber

+5,169
    Australia
    Atheist
    Divorced
    Sorry @Red Gold. When I saw you earlier differentiating between (C) and (c) 'Christianity' I wrongly assumed your issue was capitalisation rather than the use of christian as an adjective.

OB

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  10. Red Gold

+171
    Germany
    Catholic
    Married
    that was just an un-important side remark.

11. ChristianForCats

ChristianForCats Bible Reader

+825
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Christian capitalized is a proper noun. If you write christian lowercase, I will always take offense to that - even if it is obviously a typo.

As an adjective, it is "I am a Christian woman." a capital C is required.

Now when looking at the word Christian around the world, how will anyone know whhat the context is for a proper noun that is sometimes used as an adjective?

12. Red Gold

+171
    Germany
    Catholic
    Married
    That's the way I see it as well.

13. Red Gold

+171
    Germany
    Catholic
    Married
    Everyone who speaks that language will know.