• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Western Wall and Idol Worship?

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by Usethepen, May 2, 2013.

1. Usethepen

Usethepen Newbie

+13
    Deist
    Private
    I read something online implying that the great respect given to the Western Wall was that.

That can't be right.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  2. lupusFati

lupusFati Bigby, Reid, and Z

+484
    Pagan
    Single
    US-Others
    Well I've always seen the practice of the Saints in the Catholic Church as being idol worship, but without any context as to what the Western Wall is, I can't really say for sure.

3. Wiccan_Child

Wiccan_Child Contributor

+601
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    I think he's referring to the Wailing Wall.

I've seen Catholics explain the whole saint problem away because of a semantic nuance between 'revere' and 'worship' (they revere saints, and worship God), and there's something obscure in the Bible about it. But boy do they toe the line :)

4. lupusFati

+484
    Pagan
    Single
    US-Others
    I know about how they just 'revere' the saints and 'ask' them to 'pass a message', but either way I look at it I just can't justify it.

But because they've been around the longest despite the atrocious things they've done in the past, I have to call them "Christian".

But moving on. The Wailing Wall probably isn't idol worship. It's a religious site, sure, but I don't see it being an idol unless they're worshiping the wall itself.

5. Usethepen

Usethepen Newbie

+13
    Deist
    Private

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  6. ash777

ash777 Newbie

+4
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    The problem with asking them to pass the message is that the Bible says Yahshua (Jesus) is the only intercessor to the Father.

Idolatry can come in many forms, if we look to something besides our Father to protect us. If we wear a cross thinking it will protect us, that is idolatry because an object cannot protect us.

7. lupusFati

+484
    Pagan
    Single
    US-Others
    I'm aware of all these things. Try to stick to the topic of the wall.

8. ash777

ash777 Newbie

+4
    Christian Seeker
    Single

Responding to your post and my reply is on topic, since the topic is idol worship.