Los Angeles Area
✟829,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Some of you may be familiar with the Wedge Document from the Discovery Institute, outlining the organization's then-secret (but now acknowledged) plan to "overthrow … materialism and its cultural legacies" and "replace it with a science consonant with Christian and theistic convictions." Primarily through the promotion of Intelligent Design.

The document sets out 5 year and 20 year goals and objectives. First composed in 1998, and leaked in 1999, we now have 20 years of history under our belt to see how the program is going.

Twenty Year Goals

• To see intelligent design theory as the dominant perspective in science.
  • To see design theory application in specific fields, including molecular biology, biochemistry, paleontology, physics and cosmology in the natural sciences, psychology, ethics, politics, theology and philosophy in the humanities; to see its influence in the fine arts.
  • To see design theory permeate our religious, cultural, moral and political life.
Hmmm... not so hot.

One of the main problems for DI, ID and the Wedge was correctly noted in the document itself, describing the first phase of scientific research and publication in scientific journals.

Phase I is the essential component of everything that comes afterward. Without solid scholarship, research and argument, the project would be just another attempt to indoctrinate instead of persuade.

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Without solid scholarship, research and argument, the project would be just another attempt to indoctrinate instead of persuade.
They sure got that one right.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I thought I read they were having trouble with funding and were laying off employees back when Casey Luskin left, but looking now I can't find anything to support my recollection.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
This thread is unsuprisingly void of any creationist / id proponent activity.
Many creationists like ID but know better than to risk association with the Discovery Institute, which has pretty much been outed as a fascist front organization.

Upvote 0

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Many creationists like ID but know better than to risk association with the Discovery Institute, which has pretty much been outed as a fascist front organization.
It also seems that what ID *is* according to these creationists, also keeps changing depending on which aspect of ID is being challenged or questioned :)

• Agree
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It also seems that what ID *is* according to these creationists, also keeps changing depending on which aspect of ID is being challenged or questioned :)
ID was created as nothing but a rhetorical strategy, a "wedge" to open the way for biblical creationism. I think most creationists understand that, use it, even if they don't buy into the Discovery Institute's right-wing totalitarian political agenda.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Fascist? Do tell. Give me the deets.
The Discovery institute is a Dominionist organization which takes money from the Council for National Policy and has links to the Chalcedon Foundation. The political agenda of the Institute is derived from The Institutes of Biblical Law by their late Fellow R. J. Rushdooney.

Dominion theology - Wikipedia
The Council for National Policy: Behind the Curtain
Chalcedon Foundation - Wikipedia
The Institutes of Biblical Law - Wikipedia

Maybe "fascist" is not quite the right term, but "unAmerican" fits.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums