the village

• Thread starter DMBfanLongliveStrongBad!
  • Start date

ZaraDurden

Comfortably Numb
Aug 5, 2003
Jersey
Visit site
✟3,702.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I really liked the movie up until I saw the twist...

*spoilers*
So this is the line MNS is selling us: a group of people think society has become so sick and vicious that they decide to bring their children up in constant fear of horrible monsters in the woods and that they should all live a total lie...

What? That is insanity, and its really the only reason I didnt like the movie.

But a few other points:
1)I think the character that Brody played (mentally challenged) knew from the beginning that the monsters were fake, and played by the elders. That is why he always laughed when he heard them, and he always wanted to go near them and did not fear them at all. That is also why he knew where the costume was in the floor.

Anyone agree or disagree?

2)Anyone else think it was silly that the kids had tremendous interest in the "things we not speak of" but seemed completely uninterested in the "shed we shouldnt use"?

Upvote 0

Lizzi4Christ

I'm worth waiting for.
Feb 13, 2002
It doesn't matter... my home is Heaven!
✟8,050.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
ZaraDurden said:
I really liked the movie up until I saw the twist...

*spoilers*
So this is the line MNS is selling us: a group of people think society has become so sick and vicious that they decide to bring their children up in constant fear of horrible monsters in the woods and that they should all live a total lie...

I don't think he was promoting that, but rather wanted to show the lengths that people would go out of fear. I think it was also to show how the actions of others can effect people (*spoiler* everyone had lost something dear to them before starting this settlement).

But a few other points:
1)I think the character that Brody played (mentally challenged) knew from the beginning that the monsters were fake, and played by the elders. That is why he always laughed when he heard them, and he always wanted to go near them and did not fear them at all. That is also why he knew where the costume was in the floor.

Anyone agree or disagree?

Hmmmm... interesting thought. That very well could be.

2)Anyone else think it was silly that the kids had tremendous interest in the "things we not speak of" but seemed completely uninterested in the "shed we shouldnt use"?

No, not at all. Monsters are much more interesting then a shed. Plus there were reinforcements of the monsters more then the shed. The sounds in the woods, the watch tower, the flags, the "safe color" and a few more. With so much reinforcements of the monsters, the shed would be forgotten.

Upvote 0

ZaraDurden

Comfortably Numb
Aug 5, 2003
Jersey
Visit site
✟3,702.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lizzi4Christ said:
I don't think he was promoting that, but rather wanted to show the lengths that people would go out of fear. I think it was also to show how the actions of others can effect people (*spoiler* everyone had lost something dear to them before starting this settlement).
*spoilers*

I didn't think he was promoting that, but that was indeed the premise of the movie. Its not that I agree or disagree with it on principle, I just don't buy it as even a remote possibility for reality.

And why wouldn't they keep modern medicine? I know they wanted to make the town old fashioned, but since they are bringing up their children in a world of complete falsehood then why couldn't they change that one little factor (the advancement of medicine) for the better? If the kids were raised with modern medicine always being present in this old fashioned town, they wouldnt know the difference.

Especially considering that these people were motivated largely by the death of close relatives, wouldnt they go to all lengths to make sure no one else dies?

Upvote 0

keliezimmer

Nov 24, 2003
California
Visit site
✟7,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
*SPOILERS*

I do believe that the elders could convince themselves that the lie they told was for their children's sakes. They probably figured; 'out there is real killing, out there is real danger. Here, everything is perfect, everyone is safe.' I think the elders rationalized that one fear in the minds of their children would keep them from having to face the heartache of the real world. So the fear was worth it in order to preserve their simple and peaceful way of life. It's like; a little lie won't hurt. Sure they make their children think there's ravenous, flesh eating monsters in the woods, but there really aren't, so it's okay to let them think that there are because we're really just trying to protect them from the real monsters of modern society. Does that make sense? I've seen people at church do this. It's called "puttin' the fear in yah". You tell them their going to hell and burn in eternal damnation forever and the people get so scared that they come to Jesus. That's a good thing right? They came to Jesus. But the truth is, fear is from satan. Even a little is bad. And fear left to fester too long manifests itself in all areas of your life, until all you have is fear.

Er. . i got off on that one?? Sorry. .

Cheers! :)

Upvote 0

tweek821

"Passion" is greatest!
Mar 22, 2004
USA
✟7,982.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I just saw this movie! It was awesome! I thought this twist ending was way better than 6th Sense because in that movie, you could kinda tell what was coming...this one is completely outta nowhere. Best twist for a movie yet!!!!!!!!!
Go see "The Village!!!!!!!!"

Upvote 0

ZaraDurden

Comfortably Numb
Aug 5, 2003
Jersey
Visit site
✟3,702.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
SPOILERS
keliezimmer said:
I've seen people at church do this. It's called "puttin' the fear in yah". You tell them their going to hell and burn in eternal damnation forever and the people get so scared that they come to Jesus. That's a good thing right? They came to Jesus.
This is where we disagree, and probably why I hated the ending. I find this practice morally reprehensible.

The society the elders have created is what they believe is good, but not necessarily good. They give their children no chance to find out what the world is like, for better or worse--and even more important what they consider to be good and bad. I honestly believe that there is no situation where knowledge is undesirable. And if you believe God gave all of us free will, why would you want to take that choice away from them? The choice to live in one society or another.

How mad, disgusted, betrayed, etc would you feel if someone brought you up in a completely fake world and hid all kinds of wonderful and terrible things from you?

Upvote 0

keliezimmer

Nov 24, 2003
California
Visit site
✟7,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Oh no, we don't disagree at all!!! :blush: I don't agree with the Village elders rationalization!! Not one bit! I just meant, I could see how some people might have come to the conclusion that they were telling a lie and instilling fear to help their children. It doesn't make it right. I can just see how some people would think what they were doing was justified. I was using the church reference as a back up to illustrate how this exact issue (fear) is used in modern institutions.

It's not that I agree, i just have this nasty habit of playing devil's advocate or looking at issues from 'the other perspective', but I don't agree with the tactics at all. :)

Reactions: ZaraDurden
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A Girl

Cafeteria Spaghetti
Jun 26, 2004
✟120.00
Faith
Christian
**SPOILER**

Did anyone notice that on the grave of August Nicholes at the very beginning it said 1897???

I could believe that it took place in the past..but... when she got out of the woods she was greeted by a man driving a Jeep Wrangler. They may have wanted to create an old fashoned town but wouldn't they have to convince everyone it was 1897 instead of 1997 or so??

Over all I enjoyed the movie although I found it kind of confusing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kurabrhm

Feb 23, 2004
Southampton, Hampshire, England.
Visit site
✟2,333.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
keliezimmer said:
*SPOILERS*

I do believe that the elders could convince themselves that the lie they told was for their children's sakes. They probably figured; 'out there is real killing, out there is real danger. Here, everything is perfect, everyone is safe.' I think the elders rationalized that one fear in the minds of their children would keep them from having to face the heartache of the real world. So the fear was worth it in order to preserve their simple and peaceful way of life. It's like; a little lie won't hurt. Sure they make their children think there's ravenous, flesh eating monsters in the woods, but there really aren't, so it's okay to let them think that there are because we're really just trying to protect them from the real monsters of modern society. Does that make sense? I've seen people at church do this. It's called "puttin' the fear in yah". You tell them their going to hell and burn in eternal damnation forever and the people get so scared that they come to Jesus. That's a good thing right? They came to Jesus. But the truth is, fear is from satan. Even a little is bad. And fear left to fester too long manifests itself in all areas of your life, until all you have is fear.

Er. . i got off on that one?? Sorry. .

Cheers! :)

lol, they have been using this strategy to keep certain people of society under order for centuries here in Britain, Europe and elsewhere in the world!

Reactions: ZaraDurden
Upvote 0

horuhe00

Contributor
Apr 28, 2004
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Visit site
✟21,931.00
Country
Puerto Rico
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A Girl said:
**SPOILER**

Did anyone notice that on the grave of August Nicholes at the very beginning it said 1897???

I could believe that it took place in the past..but... when she got out of the woods she was greeted by a man driving a Jeep Wrangler. They may have wanted to create an old fashoned town but wouldn't they have to convince everyone it was 1897 instead of 1997 or so??

Over all I enjoyed the movie although I found it kind of confusing.
The elders chose the 1800's so that they could bypass all the history of the 20th century.

And it's not a jeep wrangler, it's a land rover ;)

I liked the idea of the movie, the movie in itself, well it could have been a bit better.

Upvote 0

Megachihuahua

Ex-Christian
Jul 30, 2003
World heroin capital(Baltimore), Maryland
Visit site
✟17,439.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I thought the movie was very funny. I laughed more than at that Kikkoman flash movie.
'Kikkoman, he came from the planet of soy. When you pour him on food it becomes incredibly delicous. Destroy all foriegn sauces...' Go see that movie!

Upvote 0