Student at William Jewell
Aug 14, 2003
Visit site
✟16,028.00
Faith
Christian
Dear Daily Message Readers,

READ: 1 Timothy 4

1 Timothy 4:8 (NIV) "For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come."

I have always been commended for my hard work ethic. Whether it is schoolwork or faithfully writing this devotion each day, people have always pointed out how hard I work to achieve a goal or task. While I have no doubt the Lord has given me extra enthusiasm, energy, and drive to accomplish whatever feat is in front of me in His power, lately I have being feeling like some of the "veterans" that I have worked under for employment. Let me explain how these types of people operate.

These are the people who pity the new guy on the job. He starts out with lots of enthusiasm--always on time, works hard. However, eventually, he catches on (with the help of the senior workers and veterans). They teach him that a 75-percent effort is plenty, and that "team players" protect the laziness of co-workers. And, in one sense or another, I feel like I have become the ones discouraging hard work even though I am directly opposed to its philosophy.

This attitude seems to have also found its way into Christianity. Much like new workers, new Christians start out enthusiastically, wanting to obey God fervently. But sometimes "older, more experienced" Christians are living a mediocre faith. When they see an excited new Christian, they figure that time will certainly quell such youthful enthusiasm. As a result, churches are filled with bad examples seeking to discourage the good examples from living out their faith the way God intended.

My point here is this: God doesn't want this kind of work ethic in His children. He needs hard workers for a plentiful harvest. Moreover, while mediocrity might be met with peer or co-worker approval, it wastes the precious time God has allotted to us to serve Him effectively.

You might say, "That is too work to do!" If the work seems too much for you, it is! That is why God sent His Holy Spirit to dwell within you. Not only, does He provide the supernatural energy you need to accomplish the task, but He also prompts you to make sure your heart is wholly devoted to Him.

Ask the Lord today to reenergize your love and devotion to Him through productive service.

Faith Lesson: How you approach the work before you is a great indicator whether your relationship with the Lord is new and fresh or old and dry.

In Christ,
Darin Smith

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you know Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior? If not, then learn to how make Jesus your Savior and Lord.

Check out the Daily Message Devotional's new and full-featured website at http://www.dailymessage.org

To subscribe to the Daily Message Devotional mailing list, please send a blank email to UICDevotions-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.