The Value of Human Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

PastorBH

Oct 16, 2004
✟15,433.00
Faith
Baptist
WARNING: This is my personal Christian view of the situation, I hope that this thread can provide an outlet for my frustrations and thoughts. I have no ill intentions towards anyone, only regrets.
----------------------------------------------------------
I am horrified at the current status of people in civil government who would put into action the starving of a woman, who is helpless and whose husband reliquishes his vow to protect her, or to stick with her till death, but instead pushes her towards death. When and if Terri dies in this circumstance it will cheapen all of human life, even the more so.

i believe that hard cases makes bad laws. Human life is also attacked by the hundreds of convinient abortions which uses a more rare excuse of a mothers health being in danger as a crutch to perform the destruction of a human life (at any level of its inseption) for the fruit of a mother's womb can be nothing else or nothing less than human life.

I think as a country we need to take a step back and re-evaluate the true value of human life. I believe as the Bible teaches, that all human life is precious because we bear the image of God. Every man, woman, child, baby, unborn human life, bears the image of God. That life, human life is therefore sacred, and because of this every human life is precious and important.

I heard such a sad but true statement today: How can we expect to value life for someone who is old, when we don't value life for the unborn. It is sooo sad.

I may not agree theologically with people around me, in fact i know i don't BUT nodoby deserves to have their lives cheapen, or taken from them. I just feel bad about todays decision concerning this woman, who has loving parents and family that do want to take care of her.

I guess If I could ask her husband, I would ask him: Sir, why not just walk away from her and move on with your life, because her's is just as valid and precious as yours?

How would you feel if you were the one to pull the tube from this woman? I don't think you could pay me to do that.

I just feel crummy. Something is not right about this whole thing.

Reactions: Cherub8

StaySalty

Oct 20, 2004
✟773.00
Faith
Christian
Initially, I wasn't sure what to think about this case. :confused: I heard the woman desired to die if she was in such a case, and her husband was simply standing by her decision (rather than see her continue to suffer).

But, we are made in the image of God, I'm not quite sure why He allows people to continue living in her condition. Maybe to remind the healthy to be thankful..? Or maybe it's to teach us to bear with one anothers suffering? I'm really not sure.

But, from reading your post I now agree, it is pretty crummy to starve her to death.
I am reminded of Psalm 41

1 Blessed is he who has regard for the weak;
the LORD delivers him in times of trouble.

2 The LORD will protect him and preserve his life;
he will bless him in the land
and not surrender him to the desire of his foes.

3 The LORD will sustain him on his sickbed and restore him from his bed of illness
Psalm 41:1-3.

Upvote 0

PastorBH

Oct 16, 2004
✟15,433.00
Faith
Baptist
StaySalty said:
Initially, I wasn't sure what to think about this case. :confused: I heard the woman desired to die if she was in such a case, and her husband was simply standing by her decision (rather than see her continue to suffer).

But, we are made in the image of God, I'm not quite sure why He allows people to continue living in her condition. Maybe to remind the healthy to be thankful..? Or maybe it's to teach us to bear with one anothers suffering? I'm really not sure.

But, from reading your post I now agree, it is pretty crummy to starve her to death.
I am reminded of Psalm 41

1 Blessed is he who has regard for the weak;
the LORD delivers him in times of trouble.

2 The LORD will protect him and preserve his life;
he will bless him in the land
and not surrender him to the desire of his foes.

3 The LORD will sustain him on his sickbed and restore him from his bed of illness
Psalm 41:1-3.

Thank you salty, appriciate this post. I guess another way to put it is I feel hurt that folks would do this to a helpless woman.

Upvote 0

Cherub8

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 5, 2005
The Left Coast
✟2,016.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
A nation which does not respect AND protect innocent human life will quickly take a hard fall. This is exactly what the communists wanted: to tear down our morals, traditions and religious heritage. They have succeeded in this goal under the banner of liberalism.

Our country is finished.

Upvote 0

Glaz

Obama '08
Jun 22, 2004
✟24,137.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
PastorBH said:
I just feel crummy. Something is not right about this whole thing.

I feel the same way. All those judges who ruled in favor of pulling the tube should have to sit in that room with her and watch her die. Her husband too; I'm definitely not buying his story that he just wants whats best for her. This is obviously all about him.

Upvote 0

Southern Cross

Conservative Republican Hippy People Shooter
Oct 29, 2004
Sunny Central Florida, USA (woo hoo!)
✟17,034.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's about insurance money and a potential lawsuit. He has a girlfrend and a baby now. Terry Schiavo never stated she wanted to die - her husband says it's what she would have wanted. He's taken his greed and turned it into a moral issue to get the end result he desires. Terry has parents, a community, and many generous people who have offered to care for her and cover her expenses. I am particularly impressed with Governor Jeb Bush and his efforts to put new laws on the books to protect her in the face of severe animosity from liberal groups and politicians.

Upvote 0

Glaz

Obama '08
Jun 22, 2004
✟24,137.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
He was saying on Larry King that she told him she would want to die while they were watching movie videos, and that she told some of their friends that too. Seems pretty flimsy (and convenient) to me. So thats it, thats the 'legal proof' that she says she wanted to die.

Upvote 0

Kokopelli

Stoic seeker of the truth
Dec 11, 2003
the arm pit of the world
✟16,447.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is a sad day indeed. The greedy husband has won his crusade for now, and the idiot judges willingly stained their hands in blood. As some one who ironically supports euthanasia, I cannot help but feel the deepest sympathy and pain for Terri's family. I cannot help but feel anger and disgust with her husband, some one who "loved" his wife enough, that he had no problems shacking up with another women.

As if that is not bad enough, I am greeted with the headline that nine-year old Jessica Lunsford was murdered. Murdered by a repeat sex offender. A man with a nice record that was paroled. Gee, maybe he did not he mean to do the crimes... :mad:

It has likely scarred my soul, but I cannot hold compassion or forgiveness towards individuals that commit sex crimes and violence against children. I hold no compassion or forgiveness towards Michael Schiavo or the judge that ordered the removal of the feeding tube. These are harsh words indeed. Words that are typed from a man that feels a deep pain in his heart for the number of children that were murdered this week. A deep pain in my heart knowing that helpless woman will have to suffer a slow and agonizing death. We as a “civilized” society will not even do that when executing a person that will gladly slaughter innocent women and children while showing no remorse.

Upvote 0

porcupine

Dec 5, 2003
✟1,363.00
Faith
Christian
StaySalty said:

Terri NEVER expressed any such desire. She was a very devout Catholic and believed that only God was in charge of when she died. She never said one way or another about what to do in such circumstances that anyone can remember. However, when she dies, her hubby (who is now off with another woman and has two kids -- though he never divorced Terri) will get an insurance settlement. Hmmmm.

BTW, she is not 'suffering." She is incapacitated and needs assistence in feeding. The reason she is fed by a tube is that hubby refused the doctors to put her on rehab therapy so she would be able to feed herself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Palatka44

Unabashedly Baptist
Jul 22, 2003
Palatka, Florida
Visit site
✟17,727.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This whole debate reeks with Judicial meddeling. We have Judges in this land that are not wise and are imposing their view on our culture. Human life is indeed presious in God's eyes and He will stand against the nation that does not protect the innocent.
Terri's situation is no different than a new born infant's. If you leave that newborn on the bed and do not feed him/her it will die. If this is the next step we take as a nation and do not feed the sick and infirm we will be judged.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.