Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have listen to a lot of sermons and started wondering about the following:

1. Is there anywhere in scripture where the preacher/teacher/prophet was trying to get his audience to laugh?

2. Did Jesus ever try to get His audience to laugh?

3. Jesus did tell some “almost” humorous stories, like the log in your own eye, with some very deep spiritual meanings, but would it make people laugh?

4. Is trying to make your audience laugh, also making lite of the subject?

5. Should the teacher/preacher emphasize the seriousness of the subject, by not showing any humor?

6. Would humor hurt someone in the audience caught up in the seriousness of the subject?

7. Why do preachers today use humor?

angelkiss

Veteran
Dec 15, 2005
✟41,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The church I attend is spirit led. They don't practice ahead of time and they write nothing down. God may put a scripture on their heart earlier in the week, or when they get up to preach, they will speak of how great God is and how thankful they are to be a Christian, etc. Soon followed by the Spirit leading them into scripture. The whole time they are in scripture, there is no humor involved. However, if one is breaking something down for better understanding, they may use example of their own lives to reference and it sometimes comes out in a humorous manner, unintentionally. That is the difference between Spirit and flesh. They are not making light of anything, they are not sugar coating in order to not hurt someone's feelings. They have a responsibility to deliver God's message to others and when they talk about their own faults with example, no matter how humorous it comes out, it shows they are humble enough to admit they are not above anyone else and that they too, struggle with imperfection.
Preachers are not without fault and their jobs are not simple. However, if they stay within the word and remain humble, following God's guidance, the Spirit will be in their words. Even if they use a bit of humor and that humor is not mocking the Word in any way.
We are told to try the spirits and if we stay true to God, He will show us the difference.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
God has a sense of humor. We are created in God's image, therefore, we have nothing (save rebellion and that's not the same thing) that didn't originate with God.

The teaching where Jesus mentions the 'mote' in another's eye and the 'beam' in ones own eye (Matthew 22) is one instance. The term 'beam' conveys the idea of a building support member. For instance, the four by four vertical strut for support or the two by twelve plank supporting floors or roofs. The idea of one with a four by four caught under one's eyelash is humorous farce.

I find a certain level of humor in God telling Moses, Exodus 33:3 Go up to a land flowing with milk and honey. But I will not go up among you, for you are a stiff-necked people, and I might destroy you on the way.” It is a rather grim humor, but it strikes me as taking the edge off the threat. (As if God won't see what they do or that God cannot strike them all if He is 'not looking' so to speak.)

So a bit of humor in the way of illustration or explanation is not harmful. When a speaker uses humor to entertain and win glory for the speaker, that I feel is impinging on God's glory and is improper. (And potentially dangerous.)

Upvote 0

James Is Back

CF's Official Locksmith
Aug 21, 2014
Oklahoma
✟32,480.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
As long as it's not mocking anything God related and it's not turned into a comedy club I don't see the harm with occasional jocularity. I've heard sermons that were serious and straight to the point but the preacher added some humor to it that wasn't mocking God or the Word.

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
God preached a long sermon, with no jokes.

One day, a man said to God "Lord, I remember that sermon".

God said "What pray tell, did you remember?"

The man said "The part where you said "it's all about the punchline"".

"I never said that," said God.

"No," said the man. "But that's what I got out of it."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens

1. Is there anywhere in scripture where the preacher/teacher/prophet was trying to get his audience to laugh?

3. Jesus did tell some “almost” humorous stories, like the log in your own eye, with some very deep spiritual meanings, but would it make people laugh?

5. Should the teacher/preacher emphasize the seriousness of the subject, by not showing any humor?

6. Would humor hurt someone in the audience caught up in the seriousness of the subject?

Outright jokes are generally very language and culture specific; they don't translate well. And they don't bear constant repetition.

Scripture does, however, include plenty of humours episodes, irony, and (if we look carefully at the original languages) plays on words.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,553.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

One of the patriarchs is Isaac, whose name means "laughter". God waited until Abram and Sara were 100, or nearly, before telling them he would give them a child; and Sara laughed. Yes, it may have been a mocking laugh, or one of disbelief, but I would guess they laughed in another way when their son was born, and they named him "laughter".

When Elijah was on Mount Carmel he told the prophets of baal to shout louder because maybe their god "was relieving himself". Again, it might have been mocking them, but I'm guessing it made the Israelites laugh.

I'm sure there are many Scriptures in which, if we knew the original languages, we would see a play on words, or puns.

Also, in the OT, Zechariah 3:17 says that God will take great delight in us and rejoice over us with singing. It's not so hard to believe that he might smile, or laugh, too. Just as a parent may laugh and take great delight in the actions of their small child.

"log in your own eye" and also "camel going through the eye of a needle" don't sound that funny in English - and also maybe their impact is lessened because we've heard them so often. But it's possible it's different in the Greek, and to people who hear it for the first time.

No. I used to listen to the comedian "Dave Allen". When he started on stories about religion, God or the church, I told my mother that he shouldn't be making fun of serious subjects - but it was still difficult not to laugh.
There is truth in humour, and sometimes people remember that truth because it has been delivered in a humorous way.

No.
It's obviously wrong to say, for example, "doctrine of hell? Ha ha ha, what a silly thing to be in Scripture; no one is going to fall for that one". But telling a humorous story which makes the point that there are consequences for those who don't believe, is not wrong at all.

It might do, but we don't know what people in the congregation are going through at that time or how they are going to react to anything.
I mean, a baptism might be hard for someone who doesn't have children, (that's been true for me sometimes); that doesn't mean we shouldn't have baptisms. A preacher might use the illustration of marriage to talk about the relationship between Christ and the church, and someone could feel hurt either because they are single or because they are in a bad marriage; that doesn't mean the preacher was wrong to use that illustration. The Bible reading might be the garden of Gethsemane and someone feels hurt because they are going through hardship, loneliness and that other people don't seem to understand.
This is why, I think, it is important to offer prayer ministry, or individual prayer or the offer of a chat, after the service, with anyone who may need it. Or if a church has prayer ministry teams, and the preacher knows the sermon might upset/hurt people, give them the heads up beforehand so they can be aware of it.

Because we're human beings and most of us have a sense of humour or can relate to humour.
Because people often remember a joke/funny sketch or story/something which goes wrong better than they remember the sermon, long teaching or serious stuff.
Because, as someone has said, we are made in the image of God; he has a sense of humour and he has given us the ability to smile and laugh.
Because humour helps people to relax - and they may have come to church feeling very worried. Or they may be non Christians who will start to listen because the preacher has told a funny story and/or incident against themselves.
Because it's a way of getting people's attention, which isn't wrong; consider the burning bush, Elijah on mount Carmel, Jesus telling Peter to catch a fish which "just happened" to have a coin in so they could pay their tax.
Because it's fun. :)

Upvote 0

jbearnolimits

Pastor
Mar 13, 2014
Mobile, AL
Visit site
✟16,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I get a kick out of how Jesus answers them when they asked Him about if they should pay taxes. He just asked if their name was written on the coin. And if not then give it to the owner.

It's like kids who don't want to share saying "I don't see your name on it!" LOL. I think Jesus made a lot of jokes that He intended to be both funny and yet serious.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Laughter can be healing, and a pertinent distinction may be made between preaching and sermonizing. I can't imagine Jesus living 33 years without laughing, but Churchianity has sure erased any trace of it.
It will be interesting to look for that as I re-read various passages.
Interesting topic, bling.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I get a kick out of how Jesus answers them when they asked Him about if they should pay taxes. He just asked if their name was written on the coin. And if not then give it to the owner.

It's like kids who don't want to share saying "I don't see your name on it!" LOL. I think Jesus made a lot of jokes that He intended to be both funny and yet serious.

Great example!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When you are trying to be very serious about a very serious subject (heaven or hell) can you really take people to the point of laughing out loud and not detract from others caught up in this life and death situation?

I do not see Jesus or any of the others trying to get their audience to laugh out loud. The “humor” was also very thought provoking and if you “laughed” it would be because you did not grasp the seriousness of the subject.

I attended this church in which the preacher was short, bald, wore thick glasses, spoke in a monotone and never used “humor”. His message was always very serious and you had to take notes to keep up, if you wanted to discuss it later. This church grow rapidly, to standing room only. The leadership announced there would be two morning services with different lessons directed at different age groups and the preacher would announce the subject the week before for you to decide which one you wanted to attend. There was standing room only at both serves, all the members went to the first and stayed for the second. The leadership pleated with the members to just go to one service, but since the leaders where hypocrites (they were attending both services themselves) the congregation followed their example and not their words. The preacher had to repeat the same sermon twice to keep the people from going to both services.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
When you are trying to be very serious about a very serious subject (heaven or hell) can you really take people to the point of laughing out loud and not detract from others caught up in this life and death situation?

I do not see Jesus or any of the others trying to get their audience to laugh out loud. The “humor” was also very thought provoking and if you “laughed” it would be because you did not grasp the seriousness of the subject.

I attended this church in which the preacher was short, bald, wore thick glasses, spoke in a monotone and never used “humor”. His message was always very serious and you had to take notes to keep up, if you wanted to discuss it later. This church grow rapidly, to standing room only. The leadership announced there would be two morning services with different lessons directed at different age groups and the preacher would announce the subject the week before for you to decide which one you wanted to attend. There was standing room only at both serves, all the members went to the first and stayed for the second. The leadership pleated with the members to just go to one service, but since the leaders where hypocrites (they were attending both services themselves) the congregation followed their example and not their words. The preacher had to repeat the same sermon twice to keep the people from going to both services.
Which shows what? That some people think church has to be serious and so will choose to attend somewhere that meets that expectation.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,553.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There's nothing wrong with starting a sermon with a funny story, to get people's attention and interest. It's not wrong to use humour in the sermon, either.

I do not see Jesus or any of the others trying to get their audience to laugh out loud.

Well they didn't say, "a funny thing happened to me on the way to the synagogue", no. But it's possible that a number of things which sound mild, or bland, in English, read differently in Greek.

Maybe that's who he was, a humourless, yet Spirit filled, man and he was being himself, under the anointing of the Spirit. Maybe his congregation were serious and had come to expect, or were hungry for, this kind of teaching.
Maybe God moved and touched people in spite of the preacher's character. Or are you putting this forward as evidence that God dislikes humour and only moves in serious people/churches?

I use humour often; it's who I am. I can't do theological or uber intellectual stuff - and the congregation in my church couldn't hear it anyway; they'd all be asleep.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Every time I would hear a dramatic re-telling of Moses and the burning bush, right after the emotional climax of hearing in a too deep God-like, too-close-to-the-microphone approximation of His voice saying "I AM THAT I AM",...
I had to resist the temptation to jump out of my seat and say, " AND THAT's all that I am,... I'm Yaweh the God of Man, toot toot!"

I was a big Popeye fan in my youth.

Upvote 0

CalmRon

Aug 20, 2009
Western New York
✟8,747.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't see why a little humor couldn't be used in preaching and teaching, as long as it doesn't interfere with the message being delivered. humor isn't a modern invention it surely existed in the time of Christ, the prophet, Moses and beyond kind of like figurative language; its how humans communicate.

Upvote 0