Apr 22, 2011
✟7,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ok, so I was doing some research and learned that the US military still exists after DADT and wanted to let everyone know. Phew....

Active Duty Gays Say Coming Out Has Been Nonevent | Fox News

From Fox, too! Man, oh man!

Yeah lol, most of us knew this of course, but there were those people, even on this forum who were screaming about "social engineering" and homosexual rape and "unit cohesion" and how bad it would be to feel awkward and how scary group showers were...

They've been pretty quiet recently. :D

I almost want to bring back one of those silly "Gays will destroy the military" threads for the lulz.

Upvote 0
N

Nabobalis

Yeah lol, most of us knew this of course, but there were those people, even on this forum who were screaming about "social engineering" and homosexual rape and "unit cohesion" and how bad it would be to feel awkward and how scary group showers were...

They've been pretty quiet recently. :D

I almost want to bring back one of those silly "Gays will destroy the military" threads for the lulz.

Well just you wait until they turn the military into something fabulous

Reactions: ACougar
Upvote 0

Maynard Keenan

Aug 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟20,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think most of the people claiming that all sorts of bad things would happen didn't really even believe it themselves (though they may have tried to convince themselves they did). It was all bigotry, pure and simple, with desperate attempts at justification thrown in.

Upvote 0

Verticordious

Sep 4, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
✟8,768.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because the Military is largely conservative and conservatives don't go around terrorizing people with different beliefs like the homosexual activists do? Unlike liberals, us conservatives actually follow the laws, instead of getting activists judges to declare 200 year old laws unconstitutional and refusing to defend laws just because we don't like them.

No matter what happened the media was going to spin it to favor the repeal. If people would have made a big fuss over it, you'd just call them bigots. Instead of wasting our time with such ignorance, we go to the to the polls. That's why the Democrats lost control of the House in 2010, and why they lost 6 seats in the senate. This next election there are 21 democrat, 10 republican, a 2 other party seats up for grabs. It is very likely that Democrats will lose control of the Senate, and it's quite possible they'll lose the Presidency too. The media can make all the ad-hominem and non-sequiter arguments they want, in the meantime we'll be over in the poll booths voting.

Upvote 0

Self Improvement

Jun 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
✟2,258.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Because the Military is largely conservative and conservatives don't go around terrorizing people with different beliefs like the homosexual activists do? Unlike liberals, us conservatives actually follow the laws, instead of getting activists judges to declare 200 year old laws unconstitutional and refusing to defend laws just because we don't like them.

No matter what happened the media was going to spin it to favor the repeal. If people would have made a big fuss over it, you'd just call them bigots. Instead of wasting our time with such ignorance, we go to the to the polls. That's why the Democrats lost control of the House in 2010, and why they lost 6 seats in the senate. This next election there are 21 democrat, 10 republican, a 2 other party seats up for grabs. It is very likely that Democrats will lose control of the Senate, and it's quite possible they'll lose the Presidency too. The media can make all the ad-hominem and non-sequiter arguments they want, in the meantime we'll be over in the poll booths voting.
d10e5bc7-8b10-408d-9257-51b0097db919.jpg

Upvote 0

serenity now

HOOCHIE MAMA!
Oct 10, 2011
✟15,205.00
Faith
Agnostic
Unlike liberals, us conservatives actually follow the laws, instead of getting activists judges to declare 200 year old laws unconstitutional and refusing to defend laws just because we don't like them.

If I were to tell you that DADT was passed in 1993 and is only 18 years old would it still be too old to have been repealed?

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟278,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with what you had to say, Verticordious, but don't expect a lot of agreement from the lefties here. Nice try, though.

I predict that in the weeks and months ahead, there won't be any major outcry from military personnel over the "queering" of the armed forces----but we're liable to see quite a turnover in current active duty personnel as many of them quietly choose to leave.

Don't expect to hear about it on any of the major news channels, though. Stories like that never make it through the Standard Liberal-Progressive Societal Engineering Agenda Filter.

Upvote 0

Gishin

Apr 25, 2008
Midwest City, Oklahoma
✟6,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I agree with what you had to say, Verticordious, but don't expect a lot of agreement from the lefties here. Nice try, though.

I predict that in the weeks and months ahead, there won't be any major outcry from military personnel over the "queering" of the armed forces----but we're liable to see quite a turnover in current active duty personnel as many of them quietly choose to leave.

Don't expect to hear about it on any of the major news channels, though. Stories like that never make it through the Standard Liberal-Progressive Societal Engineering Agenda Filter.

So, things ARE going wrong, but the fact that there's no evidence of it is a leftist conspiracy.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP

Just out of curiosity, if you were still serving, how would you react to the repeal of DADT in the company of your fellow soldiers, and how would you react to a fellow soldier coming out?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Reborn_in_Christ2003

May 10, 2004
Whiteman AFB
✟8,911.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I expected it to be a non-event. The gay jokes continue, people still get offended, said people are still told to shut up and color as the work is completed as normal. If you are in the military, then you should have a thick skin plain and simple. What I'm not happy about is how the rules are playing out. Under GO-1, it does not actually say that you can't have sex. It does make it against the rules to become pregnant, or have an opposite sex member in your quarters. However, if you are gay, you can openly have a same sex member in your quarters, and do your business. There is also no chance of pregnancy this way. That is an issue, and there is not good way to prevent gay sex from happening, as it can lead to a lot of he said, she said. This inherently is discriminatory towards hetero-sexual relationships in essence turning the tables on the problem. This is from a discussion I had with a couple friends who just returned from the desert.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟278,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just out of curiosity, if you were still serving, how would you react to the repeal of DADT in the company of your fellow soldiers, and how would you react to a fellow soldier coming out?

I was an airman, not a soldier. That having been said, I would react to the DADT repeal by saying nothing and preparing plans for separation at the conclusion of my current hitch. If that makes me a bigot, so be it. I'm a dinosaur, and I only have about 20 years or so left on this infected dustball should Jesus tarry, and I won't have any tears at leaving it, as I really have no desire to live in your progressive utopia, thanks anyway.

As far as the "coming out" aspect goes, there were homosexuals in the military when I was in, and we all knew who they were. They pretty much kept to their own kind, and we to ours; it's just the way it was. If you had to perform duty with them, then it was kept strictly professional, nearly to the point of being clinical, until close of business---then there was no mixing between the two species whatsoever.

(shrug) You can pass all the laws you want, but you aren't going to reverse a million year's worth of ingrained human nature by passing a law.

Upvote 0

Wayte

Oh, you know. Some guy.
Jan 31, 2010
Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I expected it to be a non-event. The gay jokes continue, people still get offended, said people are still told to shut up and color as the work is completed as normal. If you are in the military, then you should have a thick skin plain and simple. What I'm not happy about is how the rules are playing out. Under GO-1, it does not actually say that you can't have sex. It does make it against the rules to become pregnant, or have an opposite sex member in your quarters. However, if you are gay, you can openly have a same sex member in your quarters, and do your business. There is also no chance of pregnancy this way. That is an issue, and there is not good way to prevent gay sex from happening, as it can lead to a lot of he said, she said. This inherently is discriminatory towards hetero-sexual relationships in essence turning the tables on the problem. This is from a discussion I had with a couple friends who just returned from the desert.

That's a negative my good sir/ma'am(didn't look, too lazy to check). I'm stationed over in SC for nuke training, we just this last year had a guy go to captains mast for that exact thing. Gays are held to the same standards as other soldiers/sailors; sex in military barracks is a no go, regardless of gender.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

serenity now

HOOCHIE MAMA!
Oct 10, 2011
✟15,205.00
Faith
Agnostic
As far as the "coming out" aspect goes, there were homosexuals in the military when I was in, and we all knew who they were. They pretty much kept to their own kind, and we to ours; it's just the way it was. If you had to perform duty with them, then it was kept strictly professional, nearly to the point of being clinical, until close of business---then there was no mixing between the two species whatsoever.

How does the repeal of DADT change any of this? If there were gays in the military, and you all knew who they were, how would simply letting them actually say they're gay change anything?

(shrug) You can pass all the laws you want, but you aren't going to reverse a million year's worth of ingrained human nature by passing a law.

I agree that by and large heterosexuality has precedence as far as human nature goes, and it always will, but I fail to see how repealing DADT is attempting to reverse that.

Upvote 0

SonOfTheWest

Britpack
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
✟9,861.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
The British military survived it. Definitely a non event. I also heard the Israeli military doesn't have a policy against homosexuals as well as Canada if I remember correctly.

And saying a law wont change millions of years of ingrained behavior(not really the point of laws anyway), is like saying..well just because you let those weirdo left handed people use their left hand..you wont change that most people are right handed! How....silly.

Upvote 0

Reborn_in_Christ2003

May 10, 2004
Whiteman AFB
✟8,911.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That's a negative my good sir/ma'am(didn't look, too lazy to check). I'm stationed over in SC for nuke training, we just this last year had a guy go to captains mast for that exact thing. Gays are held to the same standards as other soldiers/sailors; sex in military barracks is a no go, regardless of gender.
I'm confused by this. When I lived in the dorms last year, and I know it's still the same as I asked(Air Force), we could have anyone in our rooms from 0600-2359, and have sex all we wanted provided we were at work when required, the person was legally allowed on base and such. Seeing that you were receiving training, it's possible the Navy is like the AF, and has different rules for training squadrons. Also if you were on a ship, that could be a bit different also. I know for deployed members it was looked into, and according to what they found with GO-1 (the desert, and S. Korea during the little temper tanturm by the north) it never explicitly forbade sex, just having an opposite sex member in your quarters. This is where the issue came up. EDIT: I hope I understood your correctly as I just got off of a 12 hour shift.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟278,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How does the repeal of DADT change any of this? If there were gays in the military, and you all knew who they were, how would simply letting them actually say they're gay change anything?

Because before, it was kept under wraps. You didn't see two males in civvies off duty swapping spit in a parking lot (a scene I find repulsive, I'm sorry). The more effeminate behavior was modified and you didn't have to put up with it on a daily basis; I only saw one of those who really acted like Christopher Lowell when I was in, and he worked in accounting and finance. As a combat engineer, I didn't have to be exposed to him on a daily basis.

I'm confused by this. When I lived in the dorms last year, and I know it's still the same as I asked Air Force), we could have anyone in our rooms from 0600-2359, and have sex all we wanted provided we were at work when required, the person was legally allowed on base and such.

We had a CQ tell us one time that he didn't care if we had an orgy in the barracks, as long as nobody else heard it. At various times, however, I heard plenty of sexual activity going on, especially on weekends---the walls in a barracks are about like the walls in a motel. I also heard plenty of noises due to inebriate behavior. It's just one of the aspects of barracks life. The only place that I know of where your sexual urges are restricted are when you're in basic training or tech school (that's AIT for you Army people out there).

Upvote 0

Gishin

Apr 25, 2008
Midwest City, Oklahoma
✟6,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Because before, it was kept under wraps. You didn't see two males in civvies off duty swapping spit in a parking lot (a scene I find repulsive, I'm sorry). The more effeminate behavior was modified and you didn't have to put up with it on a daily basis; I only saw one of those who really acted like Christopher Lowell when I was in, and he worked in accounting and finance. As a combat engineer, I didn't have to be exposed to him on a daily basis.
Think of that. In the military, you have to put up with people you can't stand otherwise in order to accomplish the mission.

Upvote 0