Oct 23, 2013
Canada... Originally England.
Visit site
✟8,418.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
So my knowledge of Physics is pretty basic.
I grasp certain things and the Theory of Relativity just ignites me.
I had an idea after watching a couple of things about the "expanding universe"
Now obviously we're pretty sure that it's expanding and many like the idea of an eventual contraction.

Well, add to that, the ideas of a multi-verse and something just popped into my head.
My title says Caterpillar because it best describes the idea I've had.

So the Universe is expanding and could eventually contract, but what if Our universe has been expanding and contracting for tens of billions of years or longer?
We age our universe at what?... 13.8B years... but that (if I'm not mistaken) is based on what we can see, and given the distance and speed of light etc, would you say it's possible for Our universe to be lets say... 95 Billion years old?

The idea comes from the thought of expanding and contracting, well zoom out into a multi-verse so you could see our universe (Imagination required here), think of our universe as a caterpillar shape of sorts that is constantly moving in a kind of concertina movement in a similar way to a caterpillar. But instead of humping up in the middle, it's simply contracting.

If this were the case, would it not be plausible that the expanse and contraction would repeat again and again and again, giving us the possibility Our Universe is much much older than we think, and that it could never end, just repeating itself?

Although it could also be said that it's working like a ripple in water, in that the caterpillar-like movement would diminish over time and eventually just fizzle out?

Would any of this even fit the physics of the Universe that we know?
Or am I simply rambling?

RiemannZ

May 8, 2008
✟15,209.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
It fits very well, it's called the "Cyclic model" of cosmology. We don't know enough about dark energy or the shape of the universe to know if that's the correct model though, I think expanding universe models are more favored currently.

You also spoiled the ending of the manga "Fourteen"

Upvote 0