The Two Times when Jesus was confronted with "honor Mary Mother of Jesus" statements

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
As far as I can remember there are only two times when Jesus was directly confronted with some form of "blessed be your Mother", "Blessed be Mary", "here is your mother - show her honor" as reported by the NT writers.

In the one case His response begins with "on the contrary"
In the other case He spins the statement around to a question "who IS My mother?"

Luke 11:
27 While Jesus was saying these things, one of the women in the crowd raised her voice and said to Him, “Blessed is the womb that bore You and the breasts at which You nursed.”
28 But He said, “On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.”

Matt 12
46 While He was still speaking to the crowds, behold, His mother and brothers were standing outside, seeking to speak to Him. 47 [Someone said to Him, “Look, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside, seeking to speak to You.”] 48 But Jesus replied to the one who was telling Him and said, “Who is My mother, and who are My brothers?” 49 And extending His hand toward His disciples, He said, “Behold: My mother and My brothers! 50 For whoever does the will of My Father who is in heaven, he is My brother, and sister, and mother.

Which makes the "top" honor - someone Jesus came to save and as a person who accepts that salvation (which would include Mary).

====================

Surely He loved Mary as a child of God and as one blessed to give birth to the Messiah - but it is odd that his response to these two chances for respect "as my mother" - that these are in fact the two responses "He chose", if indeed He was trying to promote "Mary, is the mother of God" doctrine.

Last edited:

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So then love and respect within the family was held second-place to love for a believer and one who does the will of the Father.

Matt 10 says this -
37 “He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.

Mary held both positions and still even then we have

"on the contrary..."
"who is my Mother?"

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
"The term Co-Redemptress was used by Pope Leo XIII in 1894.[3] "For in the Rosary all the part that Mary took as our co-Redemptress comes to us..."

At what point do we see Jesus or his disciples "venerate" Mary?

The Bible writers portray her as a sinner saved by grace and blessed to give birth to the Messiah.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He appears to take the singular "blessed is the womb" and go with the plural no rather "blessed are they". Or behold your mother (singular) is outside and turns to his disples in the pural again.

Elizabeth got it right, "blessed is the FRUIT of your womb" not so much where that misguided lady who was blessing a womb over Him. The creature over the creator, that sort of thing.

Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1Cr 15:3 bypasses the virgin birth as being part of what was first delivered to them concerning the gospel

1Cr 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

1Cr 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

1Cr 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

1Cr 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures

He bypasses that in his first of all approach to the gospel

And when his birth is actually mentioned in Gal 4:4-5 for example she is not even noted by name but referred to as a woman made under the law.

Gal 4:4-5 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.

And in Acts 1:13-14 Mary is mentioned by name and not first, but lastly in respects to those named along with her in the upper room

Acts 1:13-14 And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James. These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.

Worshipping Mary (the creature) over the creator (Jesus) was not a thing on steriods at that point in time

Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not to mention the whole "Mary crushes Satan" where the one (singular) will of often displace what belongs to the many even in that respect.

For example, Paul shows Eve as the Church and Christ, not Mary

2Cr 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

2Cr 11:2 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

Ephes 5:31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
Ephes 5:32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

Romans 16:20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly.

The bruising of Satan is by God under your feet (shortly)
not Mary's (not too long ago)

Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I forgot to add

Ephes 5:32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

Of the same do also travail with children

Gal 4:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,

He gives us the victory, who also said (when it come to bruising of Satan) that it was God who would do so beneathe your feet

Romans 16:20 And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet (shortly). The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heres another one, the difference between Solomon and the one who is Greater then Solomon (Jesus) and the way they approach their mothers

1 Kings 2:19 When Bathsheba went to King Solomon to speak to him for Adonijah, the king stood up to meet her, bowed down to her and sat down on his throne. He had a throne brought for the king's mother, and she sat down at his right hand.

Whereas one greater then Solomon was here

Mat 12:46 While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.

Mat 12:47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.

Mat 12:48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?

Mat 12:49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!

These are made equal

Mat 12:50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

No bowing down to Mary as Solomon did with Bathsheba and bringing in a throne for her

Granting who sits at his right hand and left wasn't his to give He says

Mark 10:37 They said unto him, Grant unto us that we may sit, one on thy right hand, and the other on thy left hand, in thy glory.

They didnt know what they were asking, he replies...

Mark 10:40 But to sit on my right hand and on my left hand is not mine to give; but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared.

And in Joseph it shows his mother and brethren bowing to him

Gen 37:7 For, behold, we were binding sheaves in the field, and, lo, my sheaf arose, and also stood upright; and, behold, your sheaves stood round about, and made obeisance to my sheaf.

Gen 37: 9 And he dreamed yet another dream, and told it his brethren, and said, Behold, I have dreamed a dream more; and, behold, the sun and the moon and the eleven stars made obeisance to me.

Gen 37:10 And he told it to his father, and to his brethren: and his father rebuked him, and said unto him, What is this dream that thou hast dreamed? Shall I and thy mother and thy brethren indeed come to bow down ourselves to thee to the earth?

So not all things are equal, so

So in 1 Kings 2:19 When Bathsheba went to King Solomon to speak to him for Adonijah, the king stood up to meet her, bowed down to her

Whereas in the One who is greater then Solomon Jesus didn't do the same here

Mat 12:46 While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.

He did not run over to her and bow down before her or promise a throne to her

• Agree
Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟153,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Luke 1:41
When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 42 And she cried out with a loud voice and said, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! 43 And how has it happened to me that the mother of my Lord would come to me? 44 For behold, when the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby leaped in my womb for joy. 45 And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what had been spoken to her by the Lord.”
But she's dead. And there is 1 mediator between man and God.
Hebrews,11:39
These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised, 40 since God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it is safe to say that Jesus fulfilled the 4th commandment to perfection.

Bad biblical interpretations aside, Jesus could never not honor Mary.

I don't believe Jesus dishonoured her in any respect in any of the examples posted. He certainly sought to honour His Father above all.

• Agree
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What I keep wondering is why y'all care what Catholics, Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox do to honor Mary and the saints? Why does this seem to stick in your craw so badly that y'all have to comment on any postings regarding them? It's not as if we're all going to storm into your churches with statues, icons and start an Akathist to the Theotokos or novenas to St. Jude?

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I keep wondering is why y'all care what Catholics, Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox do to honor Mary and the saints? Why does this seem to stick in your craw so badly that y'all have to comment on any postings regarding them? It's not as if we're all going to storm into your churches with statues, icons and start an Akathist to the Theotokos or novenas to St. Jude?

G.O. from TX, y'all? I think it's largely a push-back against Rome in line with the Sola Scriptura issue. Honestly, IMO, EO & OO don't get the attention Rome does & I'm not sure that most even know what they think & practice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Maybe we are discovering that in Luke 11:27 Jesus is revealing to us the first Catholics (and/or Eastern Orthodox or Oriental Orthodox) in a woman who may symbolically represent those who honour and bless the creature above their Creator? Although I can't really say for sure how everyone of these specific churches might do this sort of thing (being familiar with only one) but it seemed important enough to be contained in the scripture which shows Jesus response to it. I would't call it a stick in Jesus craw or anyones craw really, perhaps there was just something off in that woman and the example she is in the scripture?

• Informative
Reactions: GDL
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
For us, Mary, the Mother of God, is the connection between earth and heaven. So for early Christians, she has a host of names that are reflective of that. From the Liturgy of St. Basil

All of creation rejoices in you, O full of grace,
the ranks of Angels and the human race;
hallowed Temple and spiritual Paradise, glory of Virgins;
from you God was incarnate,
and He, who is our God before the ages, became a little child.
for He made your body a throne
and made your womb more spacious than the heavens.
All of creation rejoices in you, O full of grace;
glory to you!

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,146.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For us, Mary, the Mother of God, is the connection between earth and heaven.
Which is wrong:
"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus"
1 Tim 2:5

So for early Christians
If Paul was an early Christian, then no. So called St. Basil lived in the 4th century, 300 years after the first Church.

Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree one mediator between God and man, the man Jesus Christ

Acts 2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

Elizabeth got it right

Luke 1:43 And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

David by the Holy Ghost declared it also saying

Psalm 110:1 [[A Psalm of David.]] The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.

So God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

Mark 12: 36 For David himself said by the Holy Ghost, The LORD said to my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool.

Mark 12:37 David therefore himself calleth him Lord; and whence is he then his son? And the common people heard him gladly.

So Mary is mother of my Lord

There is one God, even the Father and one Lord Jesus Christ

Jesus said, I ascend unto
my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

1 John 2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that
Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

1 John 2:23 Whosoever
denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.

He is still the Word made flesh that was with God and was God, but God has made him Lord and Christ.
Just as he was made of a woman made under the law to redeem the same.

Reactions: Palmfever
Upvote 0