Big Rob

Ninjaneer
Mar 28, 2005
Ohio
✟1,650.00
Faith
Atheist
Lyle McDonald said:
Bellisle F et. al. Meal frequency and energy balance. Br J Nutr. (1997) 77 (Suppl 1):S57-70.

Several epidemiological studies have observed an inverse relationship between people's habitual frequency of eating and body weight, leading to the suggestion that a 'nibbling' meal pattern may help in the avoidance of obesity. A review of all pertinent studies shows that, although many fail to find any significant relationship, the relationship is consistently inverse in those that do observe a relationship. However, this finding is highly vulnerable to the probable confounding effects of post hoc changes in dietary patterns as a consequence of weight gain and to dietary under-reporting which undoubtedly invalidates some of the studies. We conclude that the epidemiological evidence is at best very weak, and almost certainly represents an artefact. A detailed review of the possible mechanistic explanations for a metabolic advantage of nibbling meal patterns failed to reveal significant benefits in respect of energy expenditure. Although some short-term studies suggest that the thermic effect of feeding is higher when an isoenergetic test load is divided into multiple small meals, other studies refute this, and most are neutral. More importantly, studies using whole-body calorimetry and doubly-labelled water to assess total 24 h energy expenditure find no difference between nibbling and gorging. Finally, with the exception of a single study, there is no evidence that weight loss on hypoenergetic regimens is altered by meal frequency. We conclude that any effects of meal pattern on the regulation of body weight are likely to be mediated through effects on the food intake side of the energy balance equation.

My comments: Ok, since nothing interesting came up on Pubcrawler this week, I decided that I'd crush another long-standing nutritional dogma (I thought about changing this from a research review to a mythbusting column but I'm going to run out of stupid myths to dismiss). How many times have you heard something along the lines of "Eating 6 times per day stokes the metabolic fire." or "You must eat 6 times per day to lose fat effectively." or "Skipping even one meal per day will slow your metabolic rate and you'll hoard fat." Probably a lot.

Well, guess what? The idea is based on poor observational studies and direct research says that it's all false. The idea came, essentially out of a misunderstanding of the thermic effect of food (TEF) also called dietary induced thermogenesis (DIT) which are the calories burned in processing of the food you eat. While TEF differs for the different nutrients, on average it constitutes about 10% of a typical mixed diet. So every time you eat, your metabolic rate goes up a little bit due to TEF. Aha! Eat more and metabolic rate goes up more, right?

Except, let's think about that. Say we have two people, both eating 3000 calories per day. One eats 6 meals of 500 calories/meal while the other eats 3 meals of 1000 calories/meal. The first will have a TEF of 50 calories (10% of 500) 6 times/day. The second will have a TEF of 100 calories (10% of 1000 calories) 3 times/day. Well, 6X50 = 300 calories/day and 3X100 = 300 calories/day. No difference. Sure, if you increase food intake from, say, 1500 calories to 2000 calories, you will burn more with TEF; but this has nothing to do with meal frequency, it has to do with eating more food.

Which brings us, the long way around, to the above review paper which examined not only earlier observational work but also direct studies of varying meal frequency on either weight loss (during such studies) or metabolic rate. And, with the exception of a poorly done study on boxers (which I'll discuss later, maybe next week), they found no effect of varying meal frequency. None. They concluded that earlier studies finding an effect of meal frequency on weight gain (or loss) had more to do with changes in appetite or food intake, not from a direct impact on metabolic rate. For example, early observational studies found that people who skipped breakfast were heavier. The study suggested that perhaps people who were overweight had started skipping breakfast in an attempt to lose weight; not that skipping breakfast made them fat.

That is, and in keeping with last week's study (and a lot of confusing issues regarding the effect of food on bodyweight/bodyfat), certain eating patterns tend to impact on caloric intake. Some early studies actually found that eating more frequently caused weight gain, mainly because the foods being added were snacks and were in addition to normal food intake. Other studies have shown that splitting one's daily calories into multiple smaller meals helps to control hunger: people tend to eat less when they split their meals and eat more frequently. When you go too long between meals (I usually find that 3-5 hours is about the limit depending on the meal composition), you tend to get hungry and end up at the vending machine eating candy. Eating more smaller meals can also have some health benefits in terms of blood glucose control and blood cholesterol; no-one is denying that.

However, this is all tangential to the claims being made for metabolic rate. Whether you eat 3 meals per day or 6, if your daily caloric intake is identical, you will expend the same number of calories per day from TEF. And, as opposed to mice and rats, for whom everything happens faster, skipping a meal will not affect human metabolic rate at all. Quite in fact, it takes at least 3-4 days of fairly strict dieting to impact on metabolic rate; a single meal means nothing. You will not go into 'starvation mode' because you went more than 3 hours without a meal.

More practically, I sometimes wonder if the people who are adamant about 6 meals/day have ever worked with a small female athlete or bodybuilder. A 120 lb female may have a daily food intake of 1200 calories/day on a diet. Dividing that into 6 meals gives you 200 calorie 'meals'. More like a snack. 4 meals of 300 calories or even 3 meals of 400 calories is a much more livable approach than a few bites of food every 3 hours. The low caloric intake on my Rapid Fat Loss Handbook more or less prevents a 6 meal/day approach, each 'meal' ends up being nothing. I recommend 3-4 meals/day on that diet.

So, like last week's research review about the glycemic index, quit obsessing about meal frequency if it doesn't fit easily into your lifestyle. I consider 3-4 meals/day a workable minimum for most, 3 meals plus a couple of snacks works just fine too. High meal frequencies may have benefits under certain conditions but are in no way mandatory. And, in case you missed it the first time through: eating more frequently does NOT, I repeat DOES NOT, 'stoke the metabolic fire'.

Straight from the expert (minus a few edits on my part for profanity; Lyle is a vulgar guy to say the least).

brokenbananas

Senior Veteran
Apr 3, 2004
✟18,816.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for editting out the profanity.

Interesting.

I can only speak for myself. I tend to do better at eating somewhere between 5-7 times a day. I eat around 400 calories for 3 meals each and divide up the other 500-600 calories for the other times. It might be half a protein shake mixed with water, 1/2 Clif bar, an apple, etc. Those are enough to stave off hunger.

My caloric intake is around 1700-1800 calories per day on my low days and around 2300-2400 on my high days (every 4-5 days).

I'm careful about the foods I eat and would attribute it to a myriad of reasons, not just # of meals, rather caloric intake, getting enough sleep, exercising at the right levels and not way above what my body wants and keeping stress levels down.

How were these variables in the study, were they all the same or allowed to be varying?

With the way I'm eating, I'm basically ONLY losing bodyfat and maintain lean body mass, which, to me for myself, is ideal.

Upvote 0

Quantum_Man

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2005
Long Island, NY
Visit site
✟18,677.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hmm very interesting read. I always thought the myth to be true. But I suppose the reason given for the results of eating smaller meals more frequently makes sense. Guess I can stop worrying that I'm slowing my metabolism down when I miss one meal. :D

Upvote 0

brokenbananas

Senior Veteran
Apr 3, 2004
✟18,816.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Merzbow said:
The whole meal frequency thing is nonsense. I lost 50 pounds over three months by eating one meal a day with a very small snack later on. I still mostly eat one very large lunch with a tiny dinner. It's ALL about the calories.

That's a little over 16 lbs a month, which is 4 lbs a week. I'm curious at what weight did you start out at, what was your bodyfat and lean body mass. How long was that you did that ago? What is your bodyfat and lean body mass now?

What would you eat for your one meal and very small snack later on be? What was your caloric intake daily? Did you exercise? Do you have a physically demanding job?

Just curious.

Upvote 0

mare61

May 1, 2006
SE VA
✟7,795.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
I am unable to eat that frequently. I work in an office on a computer all day. They don't allow any type of food at our stations. I do think frequency is a better idea, it just isn't practical for me. But, I'm losing weight just fine any way. I am working out pretty regularly too. Interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings, Mare

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Merzbow said:
The whole meal frequency thing is nonsense. I lost 50 pounds over three months by eating one meal a day with a very small snack later on. I still mostly eat one very large lunch with a tiny dinner. It's ALL about the calories.

That's as bad as overeating. Your body needs nutrients and your not supplying it with enough. Your muscles need constant saturation to maintain their strength and to ensure that catabolism is reduced. Also, lack of food-supplied nutrients is a sure fire way to succumb to disease and sickness. Maybe not now, but eventually.

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
mare61 said:
I am unable to eat that frequently. I work in an office on a computer all day. They don't allow any type of food at our stations. I do think frequency is a better idea, it just isn't practical for me. But, I'm losing weight just fine any way. I am working out pretty regularly too. Interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings, Mare

Bring a meal replacement bar or have a shake. Their quick and easy and make no mess, plus their loaded with vitamins and nutrients.

Upvote 0

Windmill

Legend
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2004
New Zealand
Visit site
✟38,797.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
=/

I lost like, 6-7kgs by eating this sort of a diet:

Two pieces of toast - Breakfast
One Sandwich, muesli bar - lunch and afternoon snack. The bread had grains in it but was white bread
Mashed spuds, some sort of meet, steamed vegetables or salad (tea)
I used to also limit myself to two pieces of dark chocolate as a snack, and would pretty much just eat fruit fruit and more fruit for snacks. I did no exercise (bad, I know) and I only drank water. Here in New Zealand though its cold so its not really a pro drinking sort of area to live in .___. so I drink very little water (bad, I know)

As times gone on, my diets gotten better. I really worked hard on cutting out the sugars. I now have whole grain cereal for breakfast + one cup of soymilk, I eat fish (though looking for an alternative) at tea and my bread is now wholegrain :thumbsup: oh, and pretty much no chocolate for me... except for maybe a little bit of sugar free chocolate :thumbsup:

The idea of eating one meal a day sounds very bad :(

So does the idea of these "protein shakes". Too much protein is terrible for you. If you need to snack, why not take up eating fruit instead? Plus, I'm sure its got quite a bit of sugar in it.

Upvote 0

Tuffguy

Speed Racer
Jun 2, 2004
Farmington, CT
Visit site
✟4,610.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I think the calculations you did ignore one thing,,, at what rate and how does your body absorb nutrients and store fat? That is crutial to this observation. If i eat 3000 calories in one sitting and don't eat for the rest of the day, i WILL slow down my metabolism and probally store fat.

The 4-6 meals a day works great for me. I eat like a horse and stay in great shape. I'd have a very hard time changing something that works. I can get in an extra 2 meals by getting up early with my new job, and thats another 500 calories, at least of energy/mass.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Tuffguy said:
I think the calculations you did ignore one thing,,, at what rate and how does your body absorb nutrients and store fat? That is crutial to this observation. If i eat 3000 calories in one sitting and don't eat for the rest of the day, i WILL slow down my metabolism and probally store fat.

The 4-6 meals a day works great for me. I eat like a horse and stay in great shape. I'd have a very hard time changing something that works. I can get in an extra 2 meals by getting up early with my new job, and thats another 500 calories, at least of energy/mass.

Same here. I'm probably eating every 2-3 hours everyday, with mostly protein and few cards.(Mainly because I lift weights). The fac that my body is constantly getting the vital nutrients it needs from the clean foods I eat, it's allot healthier and my body is in great shape.

Upvote 0

Venabambina

Jun 6, 2006
Minnesota
✟7,645.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I just read a book called the Weigh Down Diet which talks about the way God intended us to eat. It basically talks about eating only when hungry, stopping when full, and eating what your body is craving. I LOVE the book. It is filled with tons of bible verses and ways to change your heart on a focus from food to a focus on God. I have been following the principles of the book for 2 weeks now and have lost 4 pounds AND have strengthened my relationship with Christ. :thumbsup: I highly recommend it. I'm now starting on the followup book called "Rise Above".

Upvote 0

hisbloodformysins

He's my best friend
Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Big Rob said:
Straight from the expert (minus a few edits on my part for profanity; Lyle is a vulgar guy to say the least).
Didn't it say something about the diet changing effects it? Like, if you eat 6 times a day, a full course meal, or cheeseburgers, fries and sugary stuff, you are much more likely to gain weight rather than eating 6 small, balanced meals, sometimes nutritious, sometimes not? I think WHat you eat plays a major part in it.

HB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hisbloodformysins

He's my best friend
Nov 3, 2003
✟5,464.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Venabambina said:
I just read a book called the Weigh Down Diet which talks about the way God intended us to eat. It basically talks about eating only when hungry, stopping when full, and eating what your body is craving. I LOVE the book. It is filled with tons of bible verses and ways to change your heart on a focus from food to a focus on God. I have been following the principles of the book for 2 weeks now and have lost 4 pounds AND have strengthened my relationship with Christ. :thumbsup: I highly recommend it. I'm now starting on the followup book called "Rise Above".
I've done the diet, thin within is better in my opinion, which is what I'm doing now, it is the exact way of eating, except more grace orientated. Weigh down is effective, but mainly focusing on behavior and has some condemnation in it, thin within is completely annointed, grace orientated and focuses 1st on renewing the mind. If you decide weigh down doesn't work for you, try out "thin within" you can look it up online or buy the book.

HB

Upvote 0
R

Romanseight2005

I started a few months ago drinking a slimfast for lunch, simply because I would get stressed out worrying about what to bring, and if I didn't I was really stressed because I don't get a long lunch, and I usually need to work through lunch. It also kept me from getting sleepy later in the afternoon. Later I started eating a slimfast for breakfast also, to save time. After about a month, I noticed that I lost about 15 pounds. So, I am pretty happy with it. I eat a big healthy meal at dinner time, and possibly a snack later in the evening. It works for me because I can fir it into any schedule, and I can eat with my family, and eat whatever they eat for dinner. I have often wondered how many meals people ate in Bible times. In the Lord's prayer, Jesus says to thank our Father for our daily bread. Does that mean once daily?

Upvote 0

Big Rob

Ninjaneer
Mar 28, 2005
Ohio
✟1,650.00
Faith
Atheist
This topic comes up alot here, so I thought I'd bump this.

I'll also recommend everyone signs up to Lyle's newsletter (which is where I got this article (bodyrecomposition.com)). It's one of the few newsletters that doesn't spend 9/10ths of the space pimping products, although he does that as well.

Upvote 0

MargoPego

Give thanks - the Son never fails to shine
May 16, 2006
Visit site
✟15,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
hisbloodformysins said:
I've done the diet, thin within is better in my opinion, which is what I'm doing now, it is the exact way of eating, except more grace orientated. Weigh down is effective, but mainly focusing on behavior and has some condemnation in it, thin within is completely annointed, grace orientated and focuses 1st on renewing the mind. If you decide weigh down doesn't work for you, try out "thin within" you can look it up online or buy the book.

HB

Weigh Down Diet has some great principles & great tips, but be very careful that you don't get sucked into the whole way of life with it. As you said, Hisbloodformysins, there is condemnation in the organisation. The woman who started it all, along with her husband, started their own church, & there's some false theology there.

Mind you, it's the same with anything - you have to be very careful & it's also a very wise thing to consult your doctor before starting on any weight loss or weight gain programme.

Upvote 0

MargoPego

Give thanks - the Son never fails to shine
May 16, 2006
Visit site
✟15,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Merzbow said:

It's not nonsense! It really works for many people, me included. Yes, a person's caloric intake amount is important, but what about exercise or water or the type of foods you consume? These are also very important. The human body was not designed to eat just once a day with only one snack. We need more fuel than that throughout the day to keep us going. Maybe not the 4 or 6 meals a day that work for some people, but at least 3 meals a day. It's also been scientifically proven that, for overall health, a good, healthy breakfast is a really important way to start the day & helps to keep you going & to keep you from bombing out throughout the day.

Our bodies were designed by God to lived balanced, healthy lives, & that includes the number of meals we eat & what we eat as well as what we do with the calories we take in.

Upvote 0