Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
For my Intro to New Testament class, I had an online assignment of picking a section from Mark that another student hadn't already selected, then writing about some general questions relating to the passage (known as a pericope, if anyone else here is a Theology major that needs to know these terms!). I didn't have anything in particular in mind, so I went to the USCCB website with the books of the Bible & chapter numbers, I happened to click on Mark 9, and I was met with the Transfiguration. I will include the Bible text of the Transfiguration, then a lightly edited version of what I put for the assignment (I thought removing the citations from the online lecture would be better for a post on CF). The Bible text is copied from here: www.usccb.org/bible/mark/9 I included everything I wrote for the assignment, in case my commentary on the Transfiguration is of interest to you, but the real reason I'm sharing this (and why this is in "Deeper Fellowship" instead of "Christian Scriptures") is in bold.

The Transfiguration of Jesus.
And he was transfigured before them, and his clothes became dazzling white, such as no fuller on earth could bleach them. Then Elijah appeared to them along with Moses, and they were conversing with Jesus. Then Peter said to Jesus in reply, “Rabbi, it is good that we are here! Let us make three tents: one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” He hardly knew what to say, they were so terrified. Then from the cloud came a voice, “This is my beloved Son. Listen to him.” Suddenly, looking around, they no longer saw anyone but Jesus alone with them.

-------------

This discussion post shall be based on Mark 9:2-8, better known as Mark's account of the Transfiguration. This story is a vital piece of the turning point in Mark's Gospel, and another example of the running theme of the Messianic Secret. Jesus shows forth some sort of glorious vision of Himself, on a mountain, with a few of His closest Apostles, three of the same ones in His family of disciples with whom He celebrated the Last Supper. What Jesus is trying to say here is a little unclear to me; this has been a passage that has always confused me. Jesus doesn't give any new teachings, He doesn't heal anyone, and He tells His confounded disciples not to tell anyone. However, reading through the footnotes from the USCCB helped me understand the significance of this event, though I can relate to the disciples in not understanding this event for quite awhile.

The story is a show of Jesus' glory, but it seems very odd by itself. However, our friends at the Bishop conference mention that the Transfiguration is described as happening 6 days after Jesus' first prediction of His Passion and His teaching on the doctrine of the Cross. As such, it seems as if Jesus wants to give His closest followers a sign of His glory, perhaps to encourage them throughout the extreme difficulties they will face when they watch their Savior be arrested to be crucified. In addition, the appearance of Moses and Elijah represent the Law and the prophesies of old, brought to their fullness in Jesus (USCCB, Mark 9). While Jesus isn't trying to say anything new, He may be doing this as preemptive encouragement for two of His followers.

Peter, James, and John are with Jesus as He is transfigured. James and John can't seem to say anything, and Peter can only stammer out something about making three tents, even though he barely knew what he was saying (Mark 9:5-6). They are confounded en route to Jerusalem, as a turning point in the triadic literary structure of Mark's Gospel. The Messianic Secret is another literary device at play in this passage. This pericope of the Transfiguration appears in all the synoptic Gospels, with different reactions from the disciples in each. In Matthew 17, the disciples are aware of what's going on; Mark depicts the Disciples as unaware; Luke 9 shows the Apostles in something of a dream-like state. The main ideas of the story are the same, it's just being told in slightly different ways, and is still placed 6 days (or about 8 days) after Jesus' prediction of His Passion and death.

The message given by Jesus seems to be a show of glory, an action to help us trust in Him, even when things get really bad, and a command from God to listen to His beloved Son (Mark 9:7). No new message is given, but these are fundamental messages that should be applied in any Christian's life. Personally, I tend to see the Transfiguration as unnecessary, as the overarching Gospel story could've gone the same way, with or without this event. However, a show of glory with no obvious reason can function very well as an encouragement, a way to show that God is greater & can be trusted, an experience to remember when things get bad. The Transfiguration is something I've been thinking about for awhile, largely because it's the Fourth Luminous Mystery of the Rosary, and more than the others, this event is a mystery to me.

I was in the Chapel on campus, doing my daily routine of spending the 3:00 hour in prayer in there, praying about a situation I'm going through with a close female friend, who I'm not dating & have no intention of dating, but I still do a lot for her. [Here's a bit about the situation: Messy situations; prayers needed ] This whole situation has been strange, in that it's really given me an opportunity to live out my faith in a very concrete way for someone, but parts of the situation make it more complicated and make me wonder if I'm really doing the right thing (which I know I am), but having too much investment in her. I had a mystical experience that day, where my eyes were closed, but I really felt that I could feel Jesus & the girl I'll eventually date standing right in front of me, both of them being extremely happy & talking about how great it is that I'm doing this, so excited that I'm doing so much for my friend. I was extremely happy from this, and I'm sure I looked rather odd during this, but with eyes still closed, I broke out into a huge smile, so ecstatic that Jesus and my future wife are really supporting what I'm doing, that I don't have to worry about it anymore.

This didn't teach me anything I didn't already know; I understood that I was doing something good, I knew that this was in accordance with Jesus' teachings, and my worry about it was unnecessary. But I'm very happy for this experience, and I think back on it sometimes when worry tries to sneak back in. I wonder if that's how the three Apostles thought about the Transfiguration, remembering the show of glory as they were in hiding after the Crucifixion.

Please share your thoughts & any related experiences from you or someone you may know. And, as should be our fastest reflex, please pray for everyone involved in this situation, and for everyone who may read this post. For all those who have had these experiences, and for all those who haven't, may God bless us all anyway, and may we never cease thanking Him & being open to Him for all that He does & for the wonderful God that He is!:pray::pray::pray: