Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't identify with the #TradWife movement, but it's helped me ask questions to become a more loving wife.

The #TradWife movement on social media is an interesting phenomenon. The general gist of the movement seems to be that in the sea of career options for women and men, women who are married should be able to choose homemaking as an option, teaming up with a husband who works outside the home. Traditional wives support and live out traditional gender roles.

My life right now fits into the category of “homemaker,” as I stay at home and take care of children, housework, and meals during the day. My husband works and provides the income we use to buy groceries, pay the mortgage, and all the rest. But I struggle to identify with the label #TradWife because I think it oversimplifies marriage and gender roles. The movement in general also seems to focus on the aesthetics of the traditional wife — makeup, dresses, home decor — that rub me the wrong way.

In thinking about this, however, a few questions have come up that have helped me me think about my own marriage, and what “wifehood” should look like.

The first question I’ve been asking myself is …

Continued below.