Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being Fully Aware
1 Thessalonians 5:1-3 ESV

“Now concerning the times and the seasons, brothers, you have no need to have anything written to you. For you yourselves are fully aware that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, ‘There is peace and security,’ then sudden destruction will come upon them as labor pains come upon a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.”

So, what is this saying here? It is saying that, as followers of Jesus Christ, we should be fully aware of the times and seasons in which we now live. I hope we all get this! We shouldn’t be in the dark. We shouldn’t be ones who are being deceived and manipulated by clever enchanters in their deceitful scheming. We should all be awake spiritually, and we should be able to see the evil that is all about us and recognize the times in which we now live.

I didn’t say that. The Scriptures say that.

So, what does this mean here about people saying, “There is peace and security”? It means they don’t take God’s word to heart. They don’t take his warnings seriously. They think that life is just going to keep on going like it always has, although I do believe some eyes are beginning now to be opened to the truth, which were previously blinded. Amen!

It means that there are teachers, preachers, politicians and news media, etc., who are preaching messages contrary to what the Bible teaches. They are filling people’s minds with lies they made up, and they are filling their minds, too, with false promises and false hopes based on their lies. And, they are leading many people astray with their lies and/or with their feel-good messages.

So many people have been lied to by modern-day churches, and they have been told that faith in Jesus Christ guarantees them heaven, but that they don’t have to repent of their sins or obey the Lord or submit to Christ as Lord (owner-master) of our lives. For, they feel that God’s grace gives them liberty to keep on in their sins without guilt. But they are in for a rude awakening when Jesus does come like a thief in the night and they are not prepared, for they believed the lie instead of the truth (Gal. 6:7-8).

Now, things are beginning to change, and the messages aren’t all that “feel-good” anymore. Now the messages are largely about being afraid of everything – the air that we breathe, germs, people, and socialization, etc.

And, now the messages are getting more dire with massive predictions of infections and deaths worldwide, which then just pave the way for draconian measures to be instituted. But, does it even make sense? No, it doesn’t! It makes sense in light of prophecy of Scripture, but not in all practicality. But we are not to respond in fear, but in faith in God and in trust in his word.

Children of Light
1 Thessalonians 5:4-11 ESV

“But you are not in darkness, brothers, for that day to surprise you like a thief. For you are all children of light, children of the day. We are not of the night or of the darkness. So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and be sober. For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, are drunk at night. But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation. For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we might live with him. Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.”

So, we are not of the darkness but of the day. What does that mean? It means that we should not be walking in the flesh, but we should be walking in the Spirit, by the grace of God, in the power of God’s Spirit. For, Jesus died that we might die with him to sin and live to him and to his righteousness (Rom. 6:1-23; Rom. 8:1-17; Eph. 4:17-24; 1 Jn. 1:5-9).

We shouldn’t be spiritually asleep just living our lives for ourselves, doing whatever we want to do, entertaining ourselves continuously. But our lives should be given over to our Lord as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to him, which is our acceptable worship of him. And, we should no longer be conformed to the ways of this sinful world. But we should be transformed of the Spirit of God in heart and mind away from sin to fellowship with God.

We should be those who are spiritually discerning of evil, too, and we should be fighting off those evil influences by daily putting on the armor of God. We should walk by faith, we should speak the truth in love, we should always be ready to share the gospel, and we should be living in righteousness. And, daily we should be putting the deeds of the flesh to death and we should be living for our Lord, doing what he says, and going wherever he sends us.

And, if we are walking by the Spirit and we are no longer living to gratify the sinful desires of our flesh, we will have eternal life with God. And, we will also be able to discern evil and the times we live in, because we are listening to our Lord and we are obeying him, and so we will know his voice.

TEST EVERYTHING!
1 Thessalonians 5:12-22 ESV

“We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil.”

When this says to respect and to esteem those who labor among us in the Lord, this is not speaking of every person who claims to be a follower of Jesus and/or who claims to be a prophet, an apostle, a preacher, a teacher, and/or an evangelist, and the like.

This is speaking of people who are walking by the Spirit and not by the flesh, who are living lives above reproach, and who are teaching us the truths of God’s Word, not the cheap grace gospel which coddles people in their sin, and which does not encourage repentance or obedience to Christ.

For, we are to be those who not only teach the truth, but who live the truth, and who test what we hear, and who call out the lies, and who encourage faithfulness to the Lord, and who assist our brothers and sisters to walk in obedience to the Lord and to grow to maturity in Jesus Christ, our Lord.

For, we should be people of discernment who are listening to the Spirit’s voice, and who are bathing our minds and hearts in the word of God, and who are walking in obedience to our Lord. We shouldn’t be all caught up in the world, believing whatever we think we see, and trusting in whatever we hear or read. But we should be testing everything in prayer, and in the word of God, studying it in context.

Now we shouldn’t despise prophecies. And, my take on this is that this is not speaking about future telling. This is speaking of those who, by the Spirit, are teaching the word of God in very practical ways which are applicable to our lives and to our world today. The Lord helps them to share the word of God in relation to where we are as a people today, in the time in which we now live. We should not despise these, but we should test everything.

But we need to test everything in prayer, in the study of God’s word (in context), and under the leading and direction of the Holy Spirit.

Abstain from Evil

And, we are to abstain from every form of evil. And, this means EVERY form. For, if we are going to be people of the day, and not of the night, then we need to be aware of the evil that is so prevalent in our societies. And, so we need to seek the Lord to make us aware of the evil and the deceptions and the manipulations so that we don’t fall prey to deceiving spirits, and so we can help others not to fall prey to deceiving spirits, too.

So, this is why we don’t believe everyone, or everyone in some position of power and authority or influence. For there is so much deception out there, and it comes in many different forms, too. And, I am finding more and more that there is so much disinformation out there, and that often it comes from the same source, whether it is to the right or to the left of a subject. For, evildoers like to trick us by playing both sides, opposing each other.

So, it isn’t all that easy to detect what is truth and what is lies if the subject matter is something not related to biblical truth, exactly. So, this is where we need to listen to the Holy Spirit and be people of discernment who are fully aware of the times and seasons in which we live, so that we are not caught in the deception, and so we don’t fall into the tricksters’ trap doors.

Remember, Jesus told his disciples to beware the yeast of the Pharisees. We need to do likewise!

I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever

James H. Fillmore

I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever,
I will sing of the mercies of the Lord.

With my mouth will I make known
Thy faithfulness, Thy faithfulness,
With my mouth will I make known
Thy faithfulness to all generations.

*Caution: This link may contain ads

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So many people have been lied to by modern-day churches, and they have been told that faith in Jesus Christ guarantees them heaven, but that they don’t have to repent of their sins or obey the Lord or submit to Christ as Lord (owner-master) of our lives. For, they feel that God’s grace gives them liberty to keep on in their sins without guilt. But they are in for a rude awakening when Jesus does come like a thief in the night and they are not prepared, for they believed the lie instead of the truth (Gal. 6:7-8).
Not sure if I have ever heard of a church that teaches that it's o.k to sin.

Nor have I ever heard of a church that does not include repentance from sin within the gospel and sermons.

They all seem to teach the lordship of Jesus.

This is all taught but it is more the problem that the world, these days exerts a powerful influence over the congregation.

Alcohol and drugs, sexual promiscuity, foul language, self obsession, e.t.c. Flood social media and the younger folk are far more mentally corrupt these days than ever.

Social media, live streaming, continuous entertainment, all will deliver a sword through the heart of the church eventually.

The church cannot keep pace with this information revolution.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,358,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Nor have I ever heard of a church that does not include repentance from sin within the gospel and sermons.

They all seem to teach the lordship of Jesus.

This is all taught but it is more the problem that the world, these days exerts a powerful influence over the congregation.

Alcohol and drugs, sexual promiscuity, foul language, self obsession, e.t.c. Flood social media and the younger folk are far more mentally corrupt these days than ever.

Social media, live streaming, continuous entertainment, all will deliver a sword through the heart of the church eventually.

The church cannot keep pace with this information revolution.

The vast majority of today's market-driven churches, which are following the marketing schemes of men, rather than the Spirit of God, are indeed teaching a salvation absent of repentance and obedience and submission to Christ as Lord. It is very prevalent in today's flesh-driven and worldly congregations who like the message of the cheap grace gospel because it lets them continue in their sinful practices without guilt.

I am glad to hear, though, that the church you are in fellowship with doesn't do that.

• Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

They all seem to teach the lordship of Jesus. ...

I have witnessed those that teach you have to perpetually go round in a maelstrom of melodrama, beating yourself up. They reattach the name Jesus to something that requires unreflective kneejerk conformity.

Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0