The term "Father god" bother's me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2004
✟160.00
Faith
Methodist
I was raised in an assembly of God church but now consider myself a methodist. Many people at my church as well as some elders refer to God as "Father God" and this bothers me. My question or thought is that god is my father, so why do I need to say Father and God together? and the other thing is why does it make me so uncomfortable. It seems phony or silly i would like to know other opinions

Reactions: Plan 9

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
anthropologistfrommarsmom said:
I was raised in an assembly of God church but now consider myself a methodist. Many people at my church as well as some elders refer to God as "Father God" and this bothers me. My question or thought is that god is my father, so why do I need to say Father and God together? and the other thing is why does it make me so uncomfortable. It seems phony or silly i would like to know other opinions

I think it is a matter of person style, and maybe a sign of where a person is spiritually. If you are comfortable just calling him Father, it may be becuase you feel very close to Him. If you would rather call Him God, maybe you are still overly awed by Him. Those who say "Father God" may feel the need to acknowledge Him as both.
Personally, I don't think God cares what we call Him, as long as we call on Him. :pray:

Celtie

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Language is beautifully redundant.... :)

I too do not like that form of address, but I suspect that it is for a very different reason that you have. In my humble opinion, it comes from the same camp in which the preacher also has to ask..."Amen?" after every other sentence. It seems to be habitual for many and it becomes repetitive when used in prayer to open each and every new sentence.

Not being harsh, just observing.

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
WesleyJohn said:
ClementofRome refers (I think) to a "Vocalized Pause." Some speakers are well trained not to use "um" or "uh," but have merely replaced those "Vocalized Pauses" with others - "Amen," "Lord," or "Father God."

Good observaion.

Grace and Peace,

WJ
Thank you sir, that was exactly what I meant! :)

Upvote 0

MParedon

Yahweh-nissi
Jan 20, 2004
South Texas
Visit site
✟3,848.00
Faith
Catholic
When is "Father God" usually said? Is it part of prayers, hymns or both? It sounds familiar but I don't think I've ever heard it used more than a couple of times. Admittedly, I think I've probably said it once or twice; but usually because I'm not exactly eloquant and my expressions don't do my feelings justice sometimes. :)

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ClementofRome said:
Language is beautifully redundant.... :)

I too do not like that form of address, but I suspect that it is for a very different reason that you have. In my humble opinion, it comes from the same camp in which the preacher also has to ask..."Amen?" after every other sentence. It seems to be habitual for many and it becomes repetitive when used in prayer to open each and every new sentence.

Not being harsh, just observing.
Snerk!! That "Amen?" practice is one that always gets to me. "Amen" literally means "It is so" or "So be it" (or even "Make it so" -- perhaps especially when used by Plan9 ;) -- and therefore a preacher seeking "Amens" to his message seems as though he's either not sure of the truth of what he's saying, or seeking out public approval. Either one is flat-out contrary to what good preaching is supposed to be.

(Hope that grump is not seen as out of line.)

Upvote 0

elanor

Reunite Gondwanaland!
Nov 9, 2003
Left Coast
Visit site
✟16,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I never thought about the term "Father God" bothering people. :confused: I use it sometimes in prayer. For me, it expresses both relationship and respect. Plus I sometimes sing the song in my personal time of worship:

Father God, I lift all thanks and praise to Thee,
Father God, my hands I humbly raise to Thee,
For Thy mighty power and love amazes me, amazes me,
And I stand in awe and worship Father God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.