May 28, 2002
Toronto
✟16,926.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I forgot who it was but one guy wanted to discuss Superstring theory. :o
I did a google and found this brief report which is four years old.

http://xxx.lanl.gov/PS_cache/hep-th/pdf/9709/9709062.pdf

I am only asking who accepts the superstring and why, and can they give other more up to date papers. I am open to this and but have not much thought about it. - Sure if you don't accept superstring you should post here too. Also, are there more than one superstring theories out there? Again papers please. :cool:

I'm no expert. Morat is the physics buff here. If I'm not horribly mistaken, though, there is no "superstring theory." Supersrtring theory (in the abstract) shows promise, but no solutions yet that are completely consistent with the construction of the universe as we observe it. Superstrings equations can be solved many different ways, representing different string geometries, and each giving different predictions about the strength of fundamental forces, number of fundamental particles, etc. So far no solution has been found that answers the goal of unifying the strong, weak, and electromagnetic forces satisfactorily - and the goal of unifying gravity with them seems almost out of reach. Most scientists seem to think that they will work out a superstring type theory that does accomplish this and does match observation.

That much said, take it all with a grain of salt - 'cause I just don't know that I'm right about any of it.

Upvote 0

David Gould

Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.
May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
Upvote 0

David Gould

Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.
May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
Originally posted by Morat
There is, IIRC, a difference betwee string theory. which is a competing (if woefully incomplete) model with the Standard model, and superstrings.

You are right - my bad. Bloody scientists not naming things better, I don't know, <grumble, gripe, whinge, complain>

Upvote 0

kaotic

Learn physics
Sep 22, 2002
North Carolina, USA
Visit site
✟14,836.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Originally posted by Hank
I forgot who it was but one guy wanted to discuss Superstring theory. :o
I did a google and found this brief report which is four years old.

http://xxx.lanl.gov/PS_cache/hep-th/pdf/9709/9709062.pdf

I am only asking who accepts the superstring and why, and can they give other more up to date papers. I am open to this and but have not much thought about it. - Sure if you don't accept superstring you should post here too. Also, are there more than one superstring theories out there? Again papers please. :cool:

I accept string theory I am not saying I understand all of it I am only know starting to study it and to understand a little bit of the theory. And why I accept it cause I am trying to learn as much as I can about physics.

Upvote 0

Hank

has the Right to be wrong
May 28, 2002
Toronto
✟16,926.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Originally posted by Morat
I don't accept String Theory. Despite the name, it remains a hypothesis. I'm withholding judgement for the time being. Now, if they can show gravity leakage....:)

Well so far I don't know either way. Still having a hard time imagining multiple dimensions.

Me being the resident ignoramus, as we all know, am asking,: what on earth is gravity leakage?

Upvote 0

Morat

Untitled One
Jun 6, 2002
Visit site
✟12,690.00
Faith
Atheist
One of the predictions of brane theory (the current top dog in string theory), if I remember correctly, is that the reason gravity is so weak compared to the other fundamental forces, is because gravity "leaks" into a host of other dimensions, besides the obvious three we live in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums