Aug 3, 2014
Alvin, TX
Visit site
✟14,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's kinda quiet around here! I thought this might be fun. Let's share about our worship services from Sunday.

Was your song service uplifting? We're you edified by the Bible class lesson? Maybe the preacher stepped on your toes? Did the closing prayer hit you hard and leave you ready to face the week? The youth minister did what?! (Just kidding, I'm a youth minister!)

Share it with us!

Some ground rules:

1. Don't make this a liberal/conservative argument. No one is forcing you to agree with thier stance. We're just sharing our encouraging experiences.

2. No bashing worship leaders! If the song leader stinks, remember that he is serving the Almighty the best that he can and is putting himself out there in a very visible (or auditory) way.

3. While not bashing, asking for constructive criticism is a good thing! Remember to be humble in the giving and receiving of criticism.

That's all I can think of right now, hopefully we won't have to add any more!

I was glad when they said to me, "Let us go to the house of the Lord!"
Psalms 122:1

A3M0N

Aug 3, 2014
Alvin, TX
Visit site
✟14,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess it's not really a great week for me to start this thread! I'm in the AF Reserve and this past weekend was a drill weekend. I drill about 6 hours from where I live, so after I get released I start my drive home and stop to worship on my way home. Well we got released about half an hour late, so I was late to worship and only caught about 5 minutes of the sermon! But I was able to take communion, sing and pray.

I also listen to sermons and podcasts almost the entire drive!

How was your Sunday?

Upvote 0

A3M0N

Aug 3, 2014
Alvin, TX
Visit site
✟14,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We had a great service on Sunday (2/19). The sermon was titled, "Lessons from a Fig Tree". My Bible class (OT overview) ran out of time, so we'll have to take another week to play catch up.

We had a Jr Youth Group devo/lunch, and our normal Youth Group devo after worship.

The Sun PM study has been about how to share the gospel with others. We normally don't have a sermon on Sun PM, but more of a class setting. Unless its my turn, I preach a one off lesson instead of trying to jump into our pulpit minister's lesson plans.

How about y'all?

Upvote 0

Leboman

Working It Out
Feb 22, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟10,097.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This past Sunday (2/19) I began a sermon series on the OT Prophets. It was mostly background info and a preview of some of the themes we will explore. We singly mostly hymns but do two newer P&W songs with videos as well.

I and my wife will be chaperoning the teen convention this upcoming Sunday so I won't preach again until March 5th.

Upvote 0

A3M0N

Aug 3, 2014
Alvin, TX
Visit site
✟14,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I and my wife will be chaperoning the teen convention this upcoming Sunday so I won't preach again until March 5th.

I almost commented on that being a nice break, but you're chaperoning teenagers, so you'll most likely be even more busy!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's kinda quiet around here! I thought this might be fun. Let's share about our worship services from Sunday.

Was your song service uplifting? We're you edified by the Bible class lesson? Maybe the preacher stepped on your toes? Did the closing prayer hit you hard and leave you ready to face the week? The youth minister did what?! (Just kidding, I'm a youth minister!)

Share it with us!

Some ground rules:

1. Don't make this a liberal/conservative argument. No one is forcing you to agree with thier stance. We're just sharing our encouraging experiences.

2. No bashing worship leaders! If the song leader stinks, remember that he is serving the Almighty the best that he can and is putting himself out there in a very visible (or auditory) way.

3. While not bashing, asking for constructive criticism is a good thing! Remember to be humble in the giving and receiving of criticism.

That's all I can think of right now, hopefully we won't have to add any more!

I was glad when they said to me, "Let us go to the house of the Lord!"
Psalms 122:1
I was sick last Sunday, but we often look at one of the Gospels or one of the Epistles.

Upvote 0

Leboman

Working It Out
Feb 22, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟10,097.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I look forward to the worship services. The church we serve is rural and fairly traditional. The church we were at in North Carolina had a full praise band. I rotated on bass and drums. I miss that. I wish we had the musicians here to do more of that. I do play guitar some and my wife and I will sing but I miss the full band sometimes.

Upvote 0

A3M0N

Aug 3, 2014
Alvin, TX
Visit site
✟14,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In class we had a great discussion on finishing up our overview of I Samuel. We're doing an OT overview, its very broad, not super specific at all. Hitting the "high points". But we did decide on the topic of the next class I lead with the adult group (next spring), Angelology/Demonology! This spring from our discussion on King Saul's visit with the witch/medium at Endor.

Our AM lesson was on leading a Christian life, based on Colossians 3:1-14. I was the song leader, so I always think I could do better.

The Youth Group devo went, "ok". They weren't particularly engaged, we only had 4 show up. We have around 9 kids in the group, but I've rarely seen them all together at a teen devo. Bible camp/summer area wide devos yes, but not Bible class/weekly devos. One of them always want to start the devo ASAP so we can get to the games, sigh. But they're kids, I just pray that they retain just a piece of what we discuss! I try not to be discouraged, but its tough! And I'm in my first year, so things will get better as we get to know each other better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A3M0N

Aug 3, 2014
Alvin, TX
Visit site
✟14,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What was the convention called? I know CYC (Challenge Youth Conference) was going on in Pigeon Forge, TN. Thats an awesome event! I went there with my group when I was in youth ministry part-time before the military, we took a couple of our kids to the Dallas location this year. Much smaller than the TN location, but still so very educational and uplifting.

Upvote 0

Leboman

Working It Out
Feb 22, 2017
Pennsylvania
✟10,097.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What was the convention called? I know CYC (Challenge Youth Conference) was going on in Pigeon Forge, TN. Thats an awesome event! I went there with my group when I was in youth ministry part-time before the military, we took a couple of our kids to the Dallas location this year. Much smaller than the TN location, but still so very educational and uplifting.

This was the Pursue Christian Teen Conference (formerly called the Pennsylvania Christian Teen Conference) in Harrisburg.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A3M0N

Aug 3, 2014
Alvin, TX
Visit site
✟14,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We got through 2 Samuel in our OT overview class, barely! Our AM sermon was on the role of elders/overseers/shepherds. We have just begun the process to select new elders, its going to be a several week process.

Teen devo was pretty good. We talked about the fact that even though they are young, if they have been baptized, they are Christians and part of the congregation. They aren't JV/B-Team or second-class Christians. They have the right and responsibility to be part of the selection of elders and need to be aware and involved in all parts of the church. I'm trying to keep them connected to the congregation and not think the youth group is a separate entity from the whole, but only a small part of the larger church.

I'll be out of town next week visiting family in Montgomery, AL. I haven't worshiped at that congregation in years and am really looking forward to seeing those saints again! We'll be at the University Church of Christ on the campus of Faulkner University.

Have a great week!

Upvote 0

A3M0N

Aug 3, 2014
Alvin, TX
Visit site
✟14,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are doing a series on "Intelligent design: Why evolution won't work" We are looking at all the things scientist don't want you to know.

For one thing the math does not add up

Did any of your folks go see "Is Genesis History?" It was great! I really don't work for them, by the way, it was a great movie though.

Upvote 0

A3M0N

Aug 3, 2014
Alvin, TX
Visit site
✟14,944.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its been a busy couple of weeks! Last week was spring break for my kiddos, so we visited some family in Alabama and Florida. I was able to tour and observe the children's ministry classrooms at University Church of Christ, amazing stuff they are doing there to teach children about the Bible.

Our services yesterday were great! Our preacher's son is going to Sunset International Bible Institute and came home to preach, his dad got to lead singing which he doesn't usually have a chance to do because he's preaching. Great lesson about fear of God's power and fear/reverence of His grace to not use that power against us while we continually fail.

Have a great week y'all!

Upvote 0