CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I remember seeing a documentary when I was really little saying that the Star of Bethlehem was some kind of conjunction between Jupiter and Saturn. So, close.

Also, Jesus was supposedly not even born near December 25th, people just celebrated it that centuries later to convert the pagans to Christians since they celebrated Saturnalia at that time.

Upvote 0

Guide To The Bible

Guide To The Bible
Jan 23, 2017
Britain
✟31,977.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I remember seeing a documentary when I was really little saying that the Star of Bethlehem was some kind of conjunction between Jupiter and Saturn. So, close.

Also, Jesus was supposedly not even born near December 25th, people just celebrated it that centuries later to convert the pagans to Christians since they celebrated Saturnalia at that time.

Nearly, it was an Occulation of Jupiter and Venus where they appeared to touch. It was the only time this happened in 6000 years as seen from the Middle East. It was on 17th June 2BC. Jesus had already been born on 11th September 3 BC. And once the Magi saw the Occulation they went to see Jesus and arrived on 25th December 2BC to give the gifts.

• Informative
Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Nearly, it was an Occulation of Jupiter and Venus where they appeared to touch. It was the only time this happened in 6000 years as seen from the Middle East. It was on 17th June 2BC. Jesus had already been born on 11th September 3 BC. And once the Magi saw the Occulation they went to see Jesus and arrived on 25th December 2BC to give the gifts.

Thanks for the clarification! I hadn't seen that documentary since I was 5 so it's understandable the details were fuzzy to me.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,656.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So explain how it led them East to Jerusalem, then after they spoke with Herod it led them South to Bethlehem, stopping over the house where Mary and Joseph were staying with the infant Jesus. What is described in the Scriptures is a supernatural event, not a natural movement of planets.

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So explain how it led them East to Jerusalem, then after they spoke with Herod it led them South to Bethlehem, stopping over the house where Mary and Joseph were staying with the infant Jesus. What is described in the Scriptures is a supernatural event, not a natural movement of planets.
+1

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Star of Bethlehem was visible to the Magi for two years, as they slowly traveled from the east, before they finally reached Jerusalem and had an audience with king Herod.

The light was obvious to star gazing astrologers like the Magi, but subtle enough that nobody in Judaea had yet perceived it.

Such sounds like a maximally bright and long lived supernovae within our galaxy. There was such a supernova 2000 years ago! The star of Bethlehem may have been the supernova RCW103, whose remnant resides within the plane of the galaxy in the direction of the Norma and Scorpios constellations.

From Judea, in early 4BC, the supernova would have appeared very low above the southern horizon, and it must have been visible at night. The Gospel of Matthew might mean that the star climbed up to its maximum height above the horizon over the road from Jerusalem to Bethlehem.

evidently, the Magi first observed the light above the eastern horizon. that would have occurred approximately 3 months earlier, in late 5BC... In mid 5BC, the light would have only been above the horizon during the day, so impossible to observe...

I offer that the Magi observed it in late 6BC, forgot about it, but then observed it again still bright in late 5BC... Now perceiving significance, they traveled east, gradually turning south, for several months, until by the time they reached Jerusalem in early BC, they were proceeding mostly southwards... And they told king Herod that they had been viewing the light for almost 2 years. Herod rounded up and took out all babies 2 years and under just to be safe, so to speak from his perspective.

Maybe they hooked east then south from northern Iraq, Iran or even Afghanistan?

Supernova Leaves Behind Mysterious Object
RCW103 - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

AFrazier

Site Supporter
Apr 1, 2016
Mauldin, South Carolina
✟161,448.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Except that Herod was already dead by then.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

(1) Can you provide a primary source for the celebration of Saturnalia on 25 Dec? I anticipate you would probably have to go to Macrobius, which will probably end up undermining your claim.
(2) What's your explanation for the Armenian observance of 6 Jan and the Eastern Orthodox and Coptic observance of 7 Jan? Surely you're not using Saturnalia to explain these winter birth dates as well...

While the observance of 25 Dec may be legendary, it's origins seem pretty obvious: count backwards 9 months from 25 Dec and what do you get?

Update: LOL...didn't even realize the dates of the posts on the thread. I'll leave the comment up anyway.

Upvote 0

FulfilledInHim

Nov 2, 2020
Southeast
✟17,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My mentor pastor Arnold murray said it was hexagon. Star of David. It was 5 planets I believe. The 3 wise men followed star to Bethlehem.
I always enjoyed listening to Arnold Murray.

Upvote 0