✟83,778.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Num 24:

2 Balaam lifted up his eyes and saw Israel camping tribe by tribe. And the Spirit of God came upon him.
Balaam was not a Jew. Yet, the Spirit came upon him but not in him. Later, he sinned against the Lord and was killed (Joshua 13:22).

King Saul's experience was similar. 1 Samuel 10:

9 As Saul turned to leave Samuel, God changed Saul’s heart,
but not Saul's inner spirit

and all these signs were fulfilled that day. 10 When they came to Gibeah, behold, a group of prophets met him, and the Spirit of God rushed upon him, and he prophesied among them.
but not in him

and he joined in their prophesying.
This spiritual influence was not permanent. Eventually, 1 Samuel 16:

14 Now the Spirit of the LORD had departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD tormented him.
On a more positive note, Judges 3:

10 The Spirit of the Lord came upon him [Othniel], and he judged Israel; he went out to war, and the Lord gave Cushan-rishathaim king of Mesopotamia into his hand.
Judges 11:

29a Then the Spirit of the Lord came upon Jephthah.
Isaiah 61:

1 The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good tidings to the afflicted; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound.
The Spirit/Paraclete dwells in a person permanently only after Jesus' death on the cross.

See also

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,373.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, "And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,
2 See, I have called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah:
3 And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship,..."
v 6 "And I, behold, I have given with him Aholiab, the son of Ahisamach, of the tribe of Dan: and in the hearts of all that are wise hearted I have put wisdom, that they may make all that I have commanded thee;" Exo 31

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

moonbeam

Site Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
✟33,604.00
Faith
Calvinist
The Spirit/Paraclete dwells in a person permanently only after Jesus' death on the cross.
Greetings tonychanyt:

"Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow." - 1Peter 1:11 KJV

"But yea are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." - Romans 8:9 KJV

Upvote 0