Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I'm posting this for the sick comedy of it. I laughed out loud at about 3:13 in the video when the guy's facial expression changes. ^_^

But, you have to wonder. I don't know anything about the TV news business, but unless this lady has the IQ of a doorknob (which we can't rule out), she didn't just come up with this question off the top of her head. Likely there was a meeting, or at least a consultation with a higher-up, where it was decided that this would be a great rhetorical question to try to make Israel the bad guy, to make white black, to make up down.

OTOH, there was the time when Israel traded over 1,000 Palestinian criminals for one single innocent Israeli citizen, Gilad Shalit. So, I don't know, maybe the lady has a point. If I had been one of the 1,000 criminals I think I'd have been kind of insulted that my life was worth a small fraction of another's life. But if you have a life-affirming culture side by side with a death-loving culture, I don't know, maybe your life is worth less. Just sayin'.

Reactions: Hazelelponi

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I'm posting this for the sick comedy of it. I laughed out loud at about 3:13 in the video when the guy's facial expression changes. ^_^

But, you have to wonder. I don't know anything about the TV news business, but unless this lady has the IQ of a doorknob (which we can't rule out), she didn't just come up with this question off the top of her head. Likely there was a meeting, or at least a consultation with a higher-up, where it was decided that this would be a great rhetorical question to try to make Israel the bad guy, to make white black, to make up down.

OTOH, there was the time when Israel traded over 1,000 Palestinian criminals for one single innocent Israeli citizen, Gilad Shalit. So, I don't know, maybe the lady has a point. If I had been one of the 1,000 criminals I think I'd have been kind of insulted that my life was worth a small fraction of another's life. But if you have a life-affirming culture side by side with a death-loving culture, I don't know, maybe your life is worth less. Just sayin'.

Wow. I mean, journalists today aren't really that smart. Neither are the students. Reminds me of a time on here the 3/5ths compromise was given as an example of racism engrained in our nation's founding...and I had to remind the poster that it was the abolitionists who wanted slaves counted as 3/5ths a person and the slave owners who wanted them counted as 1 whole person.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
It's really funny you say this! I was just thinking about this on one of my many errands in the car while I was driving.

Ultimately, I don't know which side to land on but I lean to the latter.

I can understand your take on this and my first thought [as a prisoner] would have been "Boy Hamas doesn't value my life if they it's only worth 1/999 in exchange"

Then I realized, it's not Hamas devaluing that life. It's the Jewish government. If they are willing to trade that many for so few Jewish lives, that shows what their opinion is of a Palestinian life.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's really funny you say this! I was just thinking about this on one of my many errands in the car while I was driving.

I can understand your take on this and my first thought [as a prisoner] would have been "Boy Hamas doesn't value my life if they it's only worth 1/999 in exchange"

Then I realized, it's not Hamas devaluing that life. It's the Jewish government. If they are willing to trade that many for so few Jewish lives, that shows what their opinion is of a Palestinian life.
Oh okay, so you agree with this evil lady's pretzel logic. So you think every trade should be a one for one trade? You'd still be wrong because Israel trades convicted Palestinian criminals for innocent Israelis. You trade an attempted murderer for someone who's only guilty of attending a dance party? Sounds like the Israelis value Palestinians lives more.

By the way, it's the Israeli government, and Israeli lives, not necessarily Jewish, but thanks for letting your true colors show.

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Oh okay, so you agree with this evil lady's pretzel logic. So you think every trade should be a one for one trade? You'd still be wrong because Israel trades convicted Palestinian criminals for innocent Israelis. You trade an attempted murderer for someone who's only guilty of attending a dance party? Sounds like the Israelis value Palestinians lives more.

By the way, it's the Israeli government, and Israeli lives, not necessarily Jewish, but thanks for letting your true colors show.

I am now curious how a certain poster imagines these negotiations went. Obviously, I can't ask the..."news reporter" how she envisioned this process playing out. Do you think in her mind (and that of a certain poster) it went....

Hamas- "OK, ok...we are here to trade, yes? One for one."

Israel- "No deal! I want haggle!"

Hamas- "Haggle?!?"

Israel- "Yeah, we give you a down payment of 200 terrorists now, for 2 dozen children...and we're charging 8.6% on every hostage afterwards. Do we have a deal?"

I can't wait to see the thought process behind this...

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Oh okay, so you agree with this evil lady's pretzel logic.
Its not pretzel logic.

So you think every trade should be a one for one trade?
nope. I think current numbers are likely amd appropriate.

You'd still be wrong because Israel trades convicted Palestinian criminals for innocent Israelis.
Yes they also have held palestinians without conviction or pressed charge.

You trade an attempted murderer for someone who's only guilty of attending a dance party? Sounds like the Israelis value Palestinians lives more.
Nah.
Fair point. It's only 73% not 100%.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
nope. I think current numbers are likely amd appropriate.
I haven't heard anyone from the Israeli government say the numbers are appropriate. I guess this tells me your opinion of Palestinian lives.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am now curious how a certain poster imagines these negotiations went. Obviously, I can't ask the..."news reporter" how she envisioned this process playing out. Do you think in her mind (and that of a certain poster) it went....

Hamas- "OK, ok...we are here to trade, yes? One for one."

Israel- "No deal! I want haggle!"

Hamas- "Haggle?!?"

Israel- "Yeah, we give you a down payment of 200 terrorists now, for 2 dozen children...and we're charging 8.6% on every hostage afterwards. Do we have a deal?"

I can't wait to see the thought process behind this...

Reactions: A2SG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vanellus

Sep 15, 2014
✟116,114.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I'd sooner go to Joseph Goebbels than Scahill for reliable information.
That says something about you, doesn't it?

It's actually not so hard to find information confirming that. I mean you're DEFINITELY not going to see it on OAN or Fox but it exists outside of your echochamber.

Look up the phrase "administrative detainees". And looky loo! ISrael just grabs and holds people...no arrests...no charges.

That sure sounds like a state worthy of respecting.

You think Israel has nothing better to do than just arrest innocent people for the fun of it?
Appears to be the case. Indefinite detainment IS a thing over there.

This is what they're surrounded by:

You think it's HARD to find examples of Israelis calling Palestinians less than human?

• Winner
Reactions: Vanellus
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Look up the phrase "administrative detainees". And looky loo! ISrael just grabs and holds people...no arrests...no charges.

That sure sounds like a state worthy of respecting.
And Palestine just grabs people and blows them up, and shoots them, and stabs them, and rapes them and beats them and kidnaps them. Very respect worthy, huh?
You think it's HARD to find examples of Israelis calling Palestinians less than human?
I don't know. But can you find me examples of Israeli children saying they are very happy about Palestinians getting stabbed?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Maybe we should cease trying to identify “the good guys” and “the bad guys” and reserve judgement until this all is behind us?
In terms of ruling parties I would argue there are no good guys. In terms of citizenry, that would be too individuated and I wouldn't feel comfortable characterizing a group that diverse.

But I may lonely there?

Upvote 0

Vanellus

Sep 15, 2014
✟116,114.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And Palestine just grabs people and blows them up, and shoots them, and stabs them, and rapes them and beats them and kidnaps them. Very respect worthy, huh?

I don't know. But can you find me examples of Israeli children saying they are very happy about Palestinians getting stabbed?
So are you admitting you were wrong to think Israel does not arrest innocent people for the fun of it?

In administrative detention, a person is held without trial without having committed an offense, on the grounds that he or she plans to break the law in the future. As this measure is supposed to be preventive, it has no time limit. The person is detained without legal proceedings, by order of the regional military commander, based on classified evidence that is not revealed to them. This leaves the detainees helpless – facing unknown allegations with no way to disprove them, not knowing when they will be released, and without being charged, tried or convicted.
https://www.btselem.org/administrative_detention

I believe Kafka wrote a book about this kind of thing, or maybe it was Orwell.

Upvote 0

Vanellus

Sep 15, 2014
✟116,114.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maybe we should cease trying to identify “the good guys” and “the bad guys” and reserve judgement until this all is behind us?
I agree but there are known facts that not everyone knows and people like Eyton Levy take advantage of this.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It is Hamas devaluing human life. No conscientious leader of a nation goes into a war knowing--and Hamas certainly knows--that they will suffer a 10:1 casualty rate against the enemy. That's why the Cold War worked and ultimately why it ended.

Upvote 0