Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Term limits would do wonders to change the way things are done in Washington. Far too many in both parties are stuck in the cycle and out of touch. Give them a limited time and then send them packing.
Another way would be to eliminate retirement benefits

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Those too. We've made them too comfortable and allowed them to live detached from their voting base for far too long.

Reactions: Toot La-Rue
Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Term limits would do wonders to change the way things are done in Washington. Far too many in both parties are stuck in the cycle and out of touch. Give them a limited time and then send them packing.
This is absolutely crucial. There is zero cause for life-time careerists in congress. The old adage though "follow the money" explains why they will never agree to term limits. In their minds they'd be cutting their own throats by limiting themselves to how long they could "serve" in congress - which, frankly is another perfectly good example why we need term limits.

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Retirement benefits,
Healthcare benefits ("let them eat obamacare"),
Limousine and travel benefits,
Immunities from tax, pension and other laws that private citizens are saddled with,
... good grief...

Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We have allowed those in elective office to make a comfortable arrangement for their "class." If we are to ever get this under control, we need to eliminate those "Benefits" that make it so costly to us. If we ONLY put in term limits, there would be MORE people collecting those continuous and expensive benefits for their "service."

A great idea has been to make a new Constitutional Amendment that requires Legislators to be subject to any law they make, and eliminate their pattern of excluding themselves from the requirements and costs of laws they pass. I think it had been introduced at least once.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The seminar socks are really active. Dems must be worried to have sent them out this early before an election. :)

It's about time. I haven't been called a bigot or racist in almost a week. I was beginning to think they were losing their edge.;)

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's about time. I haven't been called a bigot or racist in almost a week. I was beginning to think they were losing their edge.;)
Leftism has always demanded absolute tolerance of its beliefs and its behaviors, while at the same time being the most intolerant of other people's. It simply will not tolerate debate or dissent of what it believes or how it behaves.

Holding such a transparently hypocritical view has but one purpose - social sanction of their behavior.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thunder Peel

Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Leftism has always demanded absolute tolerance of its beliefs and its behaviors, while at the same time being the most intolerant of other people's. It simply will not tolerate debate or dissent of what it believes or how it behaves.

Holding such a transparently hypocritical view has but one purpose - social sanction of their behavior.

Very true.

Lately I've been looking at the political makeup of the country and thinking about its implications. One thing that strikes me is how many liberals flock to red states, either in an effort to turn them blue or because they claim the economy is better there (even though they tout the virtues of big government and claim that's the only cure for a sluggish economy). I've never once seen a movement of conservatives flocking to blue states in order to change them; we're happy with our way of life and just wish to be left alone. I find it interesting that many on the left simply cannot tolerate anyone living differently and will even go so far as to move into areas just to change the political structure. If New York or California want to lean left then that's their prerogative, yet why do they insist on trying to drag that to states like Texas and Tennessee? There's something extremely telling about that.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Good reason to let the states run things and downsize the role and power of the federal government. Get back to the basics like defense, and empower the states to do the rest. If blue states want to hand out free insurance to everyone, let them.

If that can't work, then maybe we should consider splitting up the country as some liberals have proposed. I initially thought it a terrible idea, but if this intoxicated tilt left is going to persist, maybe we really are a lost cause and would best part ways. I'd rather honor God with 100% of 1/3 of a country than dishonor him with all of it.

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good reason to let the states run things and downsize the role and power of the federal government. Get back to the basics like defense, and empower the states to do the rest. If blue states want to hand out free insurance to everyone, let them.
In other words, limit the power and scope of the federal government to those powers specifically enumerated in Article 1, Section 8 of the United States Constitution....

Of course to do that, we'd have to make a sharp about face back to the United States Constitution.

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

If that can't work, then maybe we should consider splitting up the country as some liberals have proposed. I initially thought it a terrible idea, but if this intoxicated tilt left is going to persist, maybe we really are a lost cause and would best part ways. I'd rather honor God with 100% of 1/3 of a country than dishonor him with all of it.

The more I think about it the more I like this idea. I've heard it proposed and it makes more sense than continuing to let our whole country get bogged down in debt and handouts. I'm a big believer in States' rights: if you don't like how a state votes or conducts themselves then move to one that fits. That's how our country used to function before it was hijacked by radicals and every policy became "one size fits all, even if we have to pound it into place."

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The more I think about it the more I like this idea. I've heard it proposed and it makes more sense than continuing to let our whole country get bogged down in debt and handouts. I'm a big believer in States' rights: if you don't like how a state votes or conducts themselves then move to one that fits. That's how our country used to function before it was hijacked by radicals and every policy became "one size fits all, even if we have to pound it into place."
The only downside I see to that is that it would make both "countries" weaker - which basically plays right into their hands since that's been one of their goals all along (although ironic for a worldview that will not tolerate dissent, given the ultimate aim of that worldview is absolute power - is like everything else in that worldview: grossly irrational).

It's a catch-22 - we'd be infinitely better off without them, but because their intolerance is so profound and their influence now so marked, we're going to end up being dragged down right along with them.

I like the characterization "one size fits all, even if we have to pound it into place." :D :thumbsup: Totally apt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thunder Peel

Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The only downside I see to that is that it would make both "countries" weaker - which basically plays right into their hands since that's been one of their goals all along (although ironic for a worldview that will not tolerate dissent, given the ultimate aim of that worldview is absolute power - is like everything else in that worldview: grossly irrational).

It's a catch-22 - we'd be infinitely better off without them, but because their intolerance is so profound and their influence now so marked, we're going to end up being dragged down right along with them.

I like the characterization "one size fits all, even if we have to pound it into place." :D :thumbsup: Totally apt.

That's a good point. Either way we're stuck in a tough rut but I still pray that we can be a strong and truly free nation again. When people replace faith in government with faith in God we'll see real and profound change.

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's a good point. Either way we're stuck in a tough rut but I still pray that we can be a strong and truly free nation again. When people replace faith in government with faith in God we'll see real and profound change.
Prayer is truly the only answer because honestly, how is reconciliation possible with them that seek no reconciliation whatsoever? The intolerant "my way or the highway" version of tolerance is incompatible with any concept of liberty.

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LOL - good read, that. :)

Some of my favorite excerpts:
There's no energy left in liberalism, no excitement, just more rules, more controls, everything the punks hated. You can't say this, you can't think that, everybody read the memo – today we're scheduled to be angry at people who don't want to subsidize our birth control! Oh, and make sure you obtain a videotaped, notarized consent form before you kiss your cisgender hook-up.
And
Liberalism never tries anything new. It’s a greatest hits album from a crappy band. It's like the latest incarnation of Styx when whoever the lead singer is announces, "Hey, here's something off our new album" to the widespread groans of the fans. They just want to hear the classics – more regulations, more taxes, more dough for public employee unions, more stifling of innovation.

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It occurred to me that the author is talking about punk rockers - but in truth, today's liberals - who are the parents of the current generation - are the ones who sold out to the status quo of their own failed "revolution." Be it sex, drugs, or entitlements, the "anti-establishment" survivors of their '60's "revolution" have settled themselves into the stale humdrum of obesience to an ideology that "failed to launch."

Try as they might to invigorate what energized them in the '60's, they've bought homes, taken jobs, started families and come to realize what real life is all about - individual responsibility.

Trouble is, they've taught their children their failed ideology and now, of a sudden, their children are beginning to realize just how hypocritical their parent's "revolution" truly was - which would otherwise be a good thing for us, but their indoctrination has entrenched the ideology without providing for it a necessary foundation for success - which is the impossible task, but their kids are left with no choices (irony at its height) - they can't adopt their parent's hypocrisy, but their indoctrination prevents them from acknowledging what actually works.

The "fields are ripe" - but there's a lot of work to do to bring in the harvest.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.