mikechristianforumsusr

Christian growing in faith
Sep 14, 2012
✟14,352.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have an interesting question in my study of Luke 18:18-23. This is the famous rich man story where a religious leader asks Jesus what he needs to do to inherit eternal life. Jesus eventually tells him to sell everything and come follow Him. We all know the ending...

My study question about this story has to do with Luke 18:20. When Jesus is speaking to the religious leader, Jesus mentions 5 specific commandments "But to answer your question, you know the commandments: 'You must not commit adultery. You must not murder. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. Honor your father and mother.'" (Luke 18:20 NLT)

The study question is: What is the significance of Jesus leaving out the other 5 commandments?

I've thought about this a lot and I've tried to do some research online but I'm not coming up with much. What do you think?

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have an interesting question in my study of Luke 18:18-23. This is the famous rich man story where a religious leader asks Jesus what he needs to do to inherit eternal life. Jesus eventually tells him to sell everything and come follow Him. We all know the ending...

My study question about this story has to do with Luke 18:20. When Jesus is speaking to the religious leader, Jesus mentions 5 specific commandments "But to answer your question, you know the commandments: 'You must not commit adultery. You must not murder. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. Honor your father and mother.'" (Luke 18:20 NLT)

The study question is: What is the significance of Jesus leaving out the other 5 commandments?

I've thought about this a lot and I've tried to do some research online but I'm not coming up with much. What do you think?

Christ knew already this man believed in God, and was trying to keep the religious commandments of the covenant.

But there is another side we can consider today for ourselves also --

If a person isn't following the 5 commandments about loving God, then they will also certainly break these other 5 commandments about loving other people.

And, in order to keep these 5 commandments about loving other people, we can only begin to do these better (more instead of only some) if we are relying on God, by loving God, and thus gaining the aid that comes from loving God.

So, because of this, listing 5 is much like listing all 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shempster
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Also, along with the above response, this lept out at me from another window I had open:

13“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.”

14The Pharisees, who loved money, heard all this and were sneering at Jesus. 15 He said to them, “You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of others, but God knows your hearts. What people value highly is detestable in God’s sight."

!

I feel the stories in Luke 16, the full chapter, are very helpful somehow here. It is a rich man you are considering in Luke 18, and Luke 16 is about this worldly monetary situation and our relationship with God, and then/thus with other people.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In the NT, Jesus the Divine Messiah confirmed, clarified, and added to and/or fulfiled the "Big 10" of the Mosaic Law...EXCEPT: "Remember the Sabbath day..."

He did not do this by the "list" method. He wove them into His ~3.5 year ministry.

Matthew 24:35
Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.

Upvote 0