Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
When the Israelites were approaching Moab on the way to the promised land, the king of Moab, Balak, commissioned Balam, who earned his living by divination, and offered him a sum of money, to go and pronounce a curse upon Israel. But instead of cursing Israel, Yahweh intervened and told Balaam to say what He told him to say, and Balaam had to give a blessing instead.

Now if Balaam earned his living and was paid for giving divination type fortune telling, wouldn't the Youtube false prophets, if their videos were monetized, and therefore were being paid for giving their false prophecies and "Christian" fortune telling by Youtube, be doing the same as Balaam?

If so, seeing that Balaam was killed along with the other ungodly people by Joshua's army, wouldn't these Youtube false prophets and "Christian" fortune tellers come off second best at the Judgment?

Maybe the same could apply to the Prosperity doctrine false prophets who tell people that if they give their "seed offering" to receive the promise of prosperity and guaranteed healing are also doing the same as Balaam - receiving payment for their prophecies, and will find that when they come up for judgment, Jesus will say, "I never knew you".

If that is what is going to happen to the false prophets and "Christian" fortune tellers, what is going to happen to those who support them and believe their false "words from God"?

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
When the Israelites were approaching Moab on the way to the promised land, the king of Moab, Balak, commissioned Balam, who earned his living by divination, and offered him a sum of money, to go and pronounce a curse upon Israel. But instead of cursing Israel, Yahweh intervened and told Balaam to say what He told him to say, and Balaam had to give a blessing instead.

Now if Balaam earned his living and was paid for giving divination type fortune telling, wouldn't the Youtube false prophets, if their videos were monetized, and therefore were being paid for giving their false prophecies and "Christian" fortune telling by Youtube, be doing the same as Balaam?

If so, seeing that Balaam was killed along with the other ungodly people by Joshua's army, wouldn't these Youtube false prophets and "Christian" fortune tellers come off second best at the Judgment?

Maybe the same could apply to the Prosperity doctrine false prophets who tell people that if they give their "seed offering" to receive the promise of prosperity and guaranteed healing are also doing the same as Balaam - receiving payment for their prophecies, and will find that when they come up for judgment, Jesus will say, "I never knew you".

If that is what is going to happen to the false prophets and "Christian" fortune tellers, what is going to happen to those who support them and believe their false "words from God"?

Deceivers will face harsher judgment than the deceived.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This verse always comes to mind:

"But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. And many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed. And in their greed they will exploit you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep."

- 2 Peter 2:1-3

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

That's not the sin of Balaam, the sin of Balaam taught the enemies of Israel to seduce them to commit sexual immorality so God got mad at them.

Balaam actually heard the words of God, so today's fortune tellers would have nothing on him.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
That's not the sin of Balaam, the sin of Balaam taught the enemies of Israel to seduce them to commit sexual immorality so God got mad at them.

Balaam actually heard the words of God, so today's fortune tellers would have nothing on him.
The word that came from God to him was not what he wanted to hear, nor did he want to give it, but God gave him an offer he couldn't refuse. The angel would have struck him down with his sword if he had disobeyed the Lord. He was offered a good sum of money to curse Israel and it probably grieved him that he missed out on it plus the honour that the king would have given him. Therefore his usual involvement in divination was for personal gain. People paid him money for his fortune telling.

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Scripture?

I don't feel like trying to put together a list right now but I`ll give you a couple off the top of my head.

Luke 12
47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.

48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

1. Matthew 10:15
    Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.
  2. Matthew 11:22
    But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you.
  3. Matthew 11:24
    But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have no idea but it is in the Bible.
Matthew 11:23-24:
"23And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted up to heaven? No, you will be brought down to Hades! For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day. 24But I tell you that it will be more bearable for Sodom on the day of judgment than for you.”

Sorry! You got in before me! :)

• Useful
Reactions: RickReads
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The word that came from God to him was not what he wanted to hear, nor did he want to give it, but God gave him an offer he couldn't refuse. The angel would have struck him down with his sword if he had disobeyed the Lord. He was offered a good sum of money to curse Israel and it probably grieved him that he missed out on it plus the honour that the king would have given him. Therefore his usual involvement in divination was for personal gain. People paid him money for his fortune telling.

But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication. (Revelation 2:14)

Scripture explicitly teaches what the sin of Balaam actually was, it's not what you're talking about.

Upvote 0

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟175,709.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't feel like trying to put together a list right now but I`ll give you a couple off the top of my head.

Luke 12
47 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.

48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

1. Matthew 10:15
    Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.
  2. Matthew 11:22
    But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you.
  3. Matthew 11:24
    But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee.

You might find that those verses you think are about everlasting punishment, are actually not about that at all.

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
You might find that those verses you think are about everlasting punishment, are actually not about that at all.

That's fine Marty. Pray for me to see the light and have a blessed day.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication. (Revelation 2:14)

Scripture explicitly teaches what the sin of Balaam actually was, it's not what you're talking about.
Here is Peter speaking of the false prophets who are going to appear in the last days, ie: right now:
"2 But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies,

Ie: the prosperity gospel, people being gods, 9 persons in the trinity, God doing only what we give Him permission to do.

even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction.

Preaching another gospel, departing from the Jesus of the Bible who died on the Cross and that sinners need to repent of their sins.

2 And many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed.

Putting "experiences" and kundalini manifestations before the teaching of the Scriptures.

3 And in their greed they will exploit you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.

Extorting "seed" and "miracle" offerings giving people false promises that never materialise, while amazing immense wealth for themselves. Exploiting the poor with tithing teaching.

4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell[a] and committed them to chains of gloomy darkness to be kept until the judgment; 5 if he did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a herald of righteousness, with seven others, when he brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly; 6 if by turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to ashes he condemned them to extinction, making them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly;[c] 7 and if he rescued righteous Lot, greatly distressed by the sensual conduct of the wicked 8 (for as that righteous man lived among them day after day, he was tormenting his righteous soul over their lawless deeds that he saw and heard); 9 then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials,[d] and to keep the unrighteous under punishment until the day of judgment, 10 and especially those who indulge[e] in the lust of defiling passion and despise authority.

This is the future of the Youtube false prophets, but God will rescue the righteous from the deception of these false prophets.

Bold and willful, they do not tremble as they blaspheme the glorious ones, 11 whereas angels, though greater in might and power, do not pronounce a blasphemous judgment against them before the Lord. 12 But these, like irrational animals, creatures of instinct, born to be caught and destroyed, blaspheming about matters of which they are ignorant, will also be destroyed in their destruction, 13 suffering wrong as the wage for their wrongdoing.

The Youtube prophets who are saying they have words from the Lord, in spite of the Lord not speaking to them or sending them, are breaking the Commandment, "You shall not take the Lord's name in vain. Therefore every time they say, "This is a word from the Lord", they are blaspheming.

They count it pleasure to revel in the daytime. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their deceptions,[f] while they feast with you. 14 They have eyes full of adultery,[g] insatiable for sin. They entice unsteady souls. They have hearts trained in greed. Accursed children! 15 Forsaking the right way, they have gone astray.

Two senior pastors of Hillsong U.S. have been divorced through adultery. The three principal Word-Faith teachers and prophets have amassed immense wealth through their ministries, and one of them taught that poverty is a curse from God. Those who are deceived are those who have little knowledge of what the Bible actually teaches.

They have followed the way of Balaam, the son of Beor, who loved gain from wrongdoing, 16 but was rebuked for his own transgression; a speechless donkey spoke with human voice and restrained the prophet's madness" (2 Peter).

There it is. Peter clearly says that Balaam's way is loving gain from wrongdoing, ie: divination and false prophecy.

Jude says the same:

"11 Woe to them! They have taken the way of Cain; they have rushed for profit into Balaam’s error; they have been destroyed in Korah’s rebellion."

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Balaam was actually a true prophet of God when Balak first met him this is actually indicated a number of times in the text.

And this should not be surprising etc. you have other similar figures that are proto worshippers of Yahweh, in the early OT such as: Abel and Seth, Enoch, Terah the Father of Abraham, Melchizedek, and Jethro the priest of Midian.

Balak Summons Balaam
22 Then the Israelites traveled to the plains of Moab and camped along the Jordan across from Jericho.

2 Now Balak son of Zippor saw all that Israel had done to the Amorites, 3 and Moab was terrified because there were so many people. Indeed, Moab was filled with dread because of the Israelites.

4 The Moabites said to the elders of Midian, “This horde is going to lick up everything around us, as an ox licks up the grass of the field.”

So Balak son of Zippor, who was king of Moab at that time, 5 sent messengers to summon Balaam son of Beor, who was at Pethor, near the Euphrates River, in his native land. Balak said:

“A people has come out of Egypt; they cover the face of the land and have settled next to me. 6 Now come and put a curse on these people, because they are too powerful for me. Perhaps then I will be able to defeat them and drive them out of the land. For I know that whoever you bless is blessed, and whoever you curse is cursed.”

7 The elders of Moab and Midian left, taking with them the fee for divination. When they came to Balaam, they told him what Balak had said.

8 “Spend the night here,” Balaam said to them, “and I will report back to you with the answer the Lord gives me.” So the Moabite officials stayed with him.

9 God came to Balaam and asked, “Who are these men with you?”

10 Balaam said to God, “Balak son of Zippor, king of Moab, sent me this message: 11 ‘A people that has come out of Egypt covers the face of the land. Now come and put a curse on them for me. Perhaps then I will be able to fight them and drive them away.’”

12 But God said to Balaam, “Do not go with them. You must not put a curse on those people, because they are blessed.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

The sin of Balaam is what happens at the end of the story. Balaam wanting the money that Balak offers tells Balak the one big weakness of the Israelites namely for being seduced by idolatry and intermarriage and sexual immorality with such people. So he counseled Balak to have his people befriend and seduce the Israelites to alienate them from their God etc. That really is what the sin of Balaam is ultimately, kind of a metaphor for antinomian preaching that encourages that people can do whatever they want and their is grace and God's forgiveness and no need to sanctify themselves. It also seems to be a bit of parallel with "the Sin of the Nicolaitans" that has some other nuances as well.

Of course there are lots of reasons why the prophesy stuff is bad. In some cases it can be like Simony like the guy in the book of Acts who wanted to pay for the ability to impart the Holy Spirit.

Or even what the NT says about filthy lucre and mammon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the sin of Balaam taught the enemies of Israel to seduce them to commit sexual immorality so God got mad at them.

If you want to destroy a country that has God's blessings on it, what do you do? You encourage the people to sin, so that God turns against them. Sounds much like what's happened today in the US

Reactions: GTW27
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well praise God that will not ever happen. Please no offense but a lack of knowledge regarding the word of God when it comes to giving and prosperity. Its written in the word of God. Lets also remember just who were talking about. Everyone agrees with some of your doctrine? Where does that put you then? Yet you were bought with a price the blood of Jesus it does not cover there sin its gone. Christians and the enemy will remember it for sure and use it against them. For me anyone that says Jesus/Yeshua came in the flesh died on the cross for the worlds sin was buried rose the 3rd day is the only way to the Father are Gods children and me saying I LOVE YOU JESUS does not give me the right to say what I want against God.

Against God. That part "I never knew you" He never knew them they were never saved. Yet in that same place He also said "if you have done it to the least of these my brethren you have done it unto me". We really need to be careful who we touch. Remember we never see the heart. They could confess repent every day and try so hard to change from their heart.. I do yet no one would know it. Now all that being said lol

I have seen watched some say "give $87 today and God will protect you. But if you give now God will even protect your children from being shot". You might not know that man but all would know the host of that show and that host is not know for "prosperity" teaching. Lets me careful not to lump all together.

Maybe we need to love them as Christ loves us? Did not He tell us not ask us told us to love our enemy? They are not my emeny yet shall we not love them? That OT way ..best really get on our knees and praise God for Christ and the age of Grace. You think ALL of us would be living wonderfully right now? You do ALL the law not just parts of it. And if you fail in just one you fail in all. So in Deut read about those curses and things.. that because of Jesus Christ the blood of Jesus does not touch it. Then read the promises that are ours.

yes I see what you see yes its wrong.. I tend to look at it differently. I love them and I pray for them. If God has to judge them then He best judge me first since I have done said thought believed wrong got it wrong at times. That judgement that starts with us first not the bad wrong believers or the ones we don't like.

So have faith.. its not like God is blind and not doing anything. The same with you and me.. the age of Grace.. we see abortion yet is God blind? Age of grace.. it wont last much longer. 70*7 some really do love JESUS like you and me yet in prosperity and giving that God does bless you.. do it wrongly and for the wrong reasons. As we all know we can sin and be stuck in some sin not want to stop that sin and yet we do truly love Jesus.. and the end we repent and get it right. Not here to offend if so forgive me

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Well praise God that will not ever happen. Please no offense but a lack of knowledge regarding the word of God when it comes to giving and prosperity. Its written in the word of God. Lets also remember just who were talking about. Everyone agrees with some of your doctrine? Where does that put you then? Yet you were bought with a price the blood of Jesus it does not cover there sin its gone. Christians and the enemy will remember it for sure and use it against them. For me anyone that says Jesus/Yeshua came in the flesh died on the cross for the worlds sin was buried rose the 3rd day is the only way to the Father are Gods children and me saying I LOVE YOU JESUS does not give me the right to say what I want against God.

Against God. That part "I never knew you" He never knew them they were never saved. Yet in that same place He also said "if you have done it to the least of these my brethren you have done it unto me". We really need to be careful who we touch. Remember we never see the heart. They could confess repent every day and try so hard to change from their heart.. I do yet no one would know it. Now all that being said lol

I have seen watched some say "give $87 today and God will protect you. But if you give now God will even protect your children from being shot". You might not know that man but all would know the host of that show and that host is not know for "prosperity" teaching. Lets me careful not to lump all together.

Maybe we need to love them as Christ loves us? Did not He tell us not ask us told us to love our enemy? They are not my emeny yet shall we not love them? That OT way ..best really get on our knees and praise God for Christ and the age of Grace. You think ALL of us would be living wonderfully right now? You do ALL the law not just parts of it. And if you fail in just one you fail in all. So in Deut read about those curses and things.. that because of Jesus Christ the blood of Jesus does not touch it. Then read the promises that are ours.

yes I see what you see yes its wrong.. I tend to look at it differently. I love them and I pray for them. If God has to judge them then He best judge me first since I have done said thought believed wrong got it wrong at times. That judgement that starts with us first not the bad wrong believers or the ones we don't like.

So have faith.. its not like God is blind and not doing anything. The same with you and me.. the age of Grace.. we see abortion yet is God blind? Age of grace.. it wont last much longer. 70*7 some really do love JESUS like you and me yet in prosperity and giving that God does bless you.. do it wrongly and for the wrong reasons. As we all know we can sin and be stuck in some sin not want to stop that sin and yet we do truly love Jesus.. and the end we repent and get it right. Not here to offend if so forgive me

Please clarify who this post is addressed to sir. I dunno which one to slay yet :liturgy:

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Balaam was actually a true prophet of God when Balak first met him this is actually indicated a number of times in the text.

And this should not be surprising etc. you have other similar figures that are proto worshippers of Yahweh, in the early OT such as: Abel and Seth, Enoch, Terah the Father of Abraham, Melchizedek, and Jethro the priest of Midian.

Balak Summons Balaam
22 Then the Israelites traveled to the plains of Moab and camped along the Jordan across from Jericho.

2 Now Balak son of Zippor saw all that Israel had done to the Amorites, 3 and Moab was terrified because there were so many people. Indeed, Moab was filled with dread because of the Israelites.

4 The Moabites said to the elders of Midian, “This horde is going to lick up everything around us, as an ox licks up the grass of the field.”

So Balak son of Zippor, who was king of Moab at that time, 5 sent messengers to summon Balaam son of Beor, who was at Pethor, near the Euphrates River, in his native land. Balak said:

“A people has come out of Egypt; they cover the face of the land and have settled next to me. 6 Now come and put a curse on these people, because they are too powerful for me. Perhaps then I will be able to defeat them and drive them out of the land. For I know that whoever you bless is blessed, and whoever you curse is cursed.”

7 The elders of Moab and Midian left, taking with them the fee for divination. When they came to Balaam, they told him what Balak had said.

8 “Spend the night here,” Balaam said to them, “and I will report back to you with the answer the Lord gives me.” So the Moabite officials stayed with him.

9 God came to Balaam and asked, “Who are these men with you?”

10 Balaam said to God, “Balak son of Zippor, king of Moab, sent me this message: 11 ‘A people that has come out of Egypt covers the face of the land. Now come and put a curse on them for me. Perhaps then I will be able to fight them and drive them away.’”

12 But God said to Balaam, “Do not go with them. You must not put a curse on those people, because they are blessed.”
You are reading into the text that Balaam was a true prophet of God. It is not there. Balaam lived in Moab practiced divination for the Moabites. Balak employed him to curse Israel on behalf Moab in order for the king and his army to defeat the Israelites and so remove the threat from Moab.

But when Balaam sought the curse, Yahweh intervened to Balaam's surprise, and gave him His word and told him to speak it or else. This was the miracle of the power of Yahweh, that Balaam, a pagan diviner, received one of the best prophecies in the Bible.

Upvote 0