• Start date

coxpeters

Jun 11, 2009
✟15,112.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I wrote an article about that book myself for examiner.com (/x-13007-Boston-Christian-Fiction-Examiner~y2009m6d8-Unknown-Christian-author-pens-No-1-bestseller). I thought the book was interesting, and was very encouraging, but I haven't made a decision on its theology yet. I know my pastor felt it had some messy theology in it that was of concern. And I can see where he's coming from, but I don't want to make a snap judgment before I've thought some more about it. I think I'll write an article on the controversy it has generated when I've done some more research.

Upvote 0

One day at a time

Always in a state of change.....
Apr 26, 2009
sitting in my recliner--I'm sure!
✟73,355.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think that if you know where you stand...it shouldn't be a problem to read. You also have to remember that it is fiction! I have heard many people talk about it too and they made it sound like it was real so it was heresy. Yeah, it's thinking outside of the box...but that is what is so great about it. Think about God from a different side. I know for myself....I would love to meet God at "the shack" and have time with Him.
Personally....I loved it and didn't worry about if it was doctrinally correct...just an enjoyable read!
So have you read it?

Upvote 0

crazy faith

crazy-faith
Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
✟15,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i thought it was good... At first i thought it was a true story, but it isnt. There is some messy theology in it and you just have to be careful.

Just like any other book, im careful not to quote it unless i know it has some biblical truths to it.

Its a good book to make you think outside the box and understand the trinity in a different way.

You can't go on everyone elses opinions on books... like movies. Some will like it and others wont, but you wont find out until you read it for yourself

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you looking for theology...look elsehwere. If your looking for intellectual honesty reguarding the nature of God, especially the Trinity, look elsewhere. If you simply want to be entertained, it may be useful.

Upvote 0

Sammylou1990

Jun 25, 2009
Northern Ireland
✟7,612.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
In my opinion, reading it without a Christian background, i found it passably written but a little too obvious. I personally think it portrays a much more agreeable side to Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit. Clearly, the author wants you to identify with these beings through a sense of confusion, which then turns to awe after further "revelations" as to their earlier words and deeds.

It's my firm belief that this is simply modern fiction that serves as an extension of the Bible as ancient fiction.

Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It paints a completely false image of the character of God.This book was written as an attack on Orthodox Christianity,full of outright lies and blasphemy.

#1 that The Shack denies ....
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

God is Truth and He most certainly 'does' care about false doctrine,how many times does Jesus warn in scripture to beware of false preachers?

Matt. 7:15Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Eph 4:14 That we [henceforth] be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, [and] cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

1Tim 1:3 As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,

2Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

2Cor 11:13 For such [are] false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
2Cor 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
2Cor 11:15 Therefore [it is] no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

# 2 contrary to what The Shack portrays, not everyone will be saved!

Matt 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide [is] the gate, and broad [is] the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Matt 7:14 Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Matt 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; 'but he that doeth the will of my Father' which is in heaven.
7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

John 17:9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

Books such as The Shack portray a 'cheap grace'!
There is more required to enter Christ's Kingdom,than just saying a formula 'gospel tract prayer' and going on living one's life as before. It requires confession of our sins, true repentance for those sins, and a genuinely contrite heart. Repentance means 'turning away' from sin. Refusing to continue living a sinful lifestyle.
If there is no evident change on the outside,then there has not been a change on the inside,and that person has not been born-again. There is a true 'visible' miracle of regeneration in the life of a truly saved believer.
,I doubt the possibility that anyone lost will get the gist of the seriousness of that, from a false-doctrine 'Christianity-Lite' book,such as The Shack.

Hebr 2:3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard [him];

James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
James 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

James 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Rev 3:15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.

Rev 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

Everyone one of us will one day have to give account for the lives we led.

Rom 14:11 For it is written, [As] I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
Rom 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

Matt 25:31When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
Matt 25:32And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth [his] sheep from the goats:
Matt 25:33And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
Matt 25:34Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
Matt 25:41Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Considering what Jesus went through for us,the help we receive through today's trials,and our future reward,I do not think too much is asked of us,that I would feel the need for a man-made, 'New-Age',totally irreverent,and blasphemous false theology!

Dear Heavenly Father,I ask that you open the eyes of any who read this book that are truly seeking knowledge of you.That the Holy Spirit will incline their hearts towards Your truth in your holy word.I also ask that you silence all the false preachers and all those who are out to deceive. I ask it and I thank you in the most precious ,powerful and holy name of your beloved son Jesus,Amen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
J

JohnDeereFan

I've seen alot of posts on The Shack by William Young, But They been really mixed some say the books amazeing lol some say its totally out there. just wanted to get a few christian Opinions:thumbsup:

It's filled with heresy and for the life of me, I just cannot understand why Christians would be supporting this book.

It's also just not a very good book. It reminds me of the self-indulgent crap of Robert Pirsig.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

b.hopeful

Sharp as a razor, soft as a prayer
Jul 17, 2009
St.Louis metropolitan area
✟18,662.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it paints a beautiful picture of the Trinity...the essence of God and his plan for humankind....the relationship a person can have with God....and the awesome depth of God's love for us. Depending on where you are in your journey...it could be exactly what you need. My mom is in a rough spot right now and I know she is hungering for something more in her life. I gave her this book because I believe it could be what she needs to hear right now.

One thing mentioned in The Shack was not every road leads to God but that doesn't mean God can't or won't come down any road to get to you. Too often it seems as though we don't give God enough credit. God can't be thwarted by a book. God also knows each of us well enough to know how to reach us.(does that make God the ultimate phone directory?)

When I envision my mom's soul right now I bet it's like a mess of yarn. And it might seem futile to do something as simply as pull the red yarn out of this small knot....but ultimately all those small moves will loosen the knot until the yarn is free and able to be used freely. Who says God can't use something like a silly book to begin to untangle the mess in the soul of a person so God can then work freely within her?

Not everyone's journey is on a bullet train with a dedicated line....some of us are taking bad public transportation with numerous transfers.

Upvote 0
A

AllieBaba09

I thought it was dishonest of the author and publishers to let it be portrayed as a true story.

I found much of what it had to say very interesting, it's a good book for those dealing with grief, particularly the horrible grief of losing a loved one in a terrible way.

I don't believe it was necessarily scripturally sound, and wasn't too crazy about the whole trinity thing, that was a little liberal, though I think the author did a pretty good job of illustrating the possible relationship of the trinity, to each other and to us.

It was a good read, I recommended it to my sister, though I knew she'd be appalled by some of the same things I was, I thought that some of the positive stuff balanced it out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
John 14:6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

2John 1:10If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into [your] house, neither bid him God speed:
2John 1:11For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

Eph 4:14 That we [henceforth] be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, [and] cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

1John 4:1 . . Beloved, believe not every messenger, but try the messengers whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Matt 15:14 . . If the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into a ditch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KingCrimson250

IS A HOMEBOY
Apr 10, 2009
✟18,395.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just thought I'd bump this thread...

soblessed, with all due respect, why do you keep making such a big deal out of John 14:6? You've already said in the other thread that you haven't even read the book, and it's already been stated that the Shack does state that Jesus is the only way. I haven't read it in a while but I believe that the main character states that he thought there were all sorts of paths to God, and then God in the book sets him straight. I mean, I know it's a powerful passage, but I think its relevance to this particular discussion is limited.

Anyway, I don't know what to think of the book. There are some powerful assertions in there, such as the importance of a geniune relationship with God and the need to forgive others as He has forgiven us. I think the first especially is important, given how in the NA Church there are many views of God (God as a method for empowerment, God as cuddly and loveable, God as a looming figure of judgment, etc etc), most of which attempt to maintain Him at arm's reach and all of which are shallow. The Shack, as I recall, does seem to put a fair bit more emphasis on God's love than on His holiness, but nonetheless it does encourage a view that God is something more than a magical spirit there to make our lives better or to cause us to feel guilty.

I kind of like to take the book as a sort of "Modern Psalm." In the sense that the Psalms were usually (though not always) an outpouring of emotion, and that not every line found in the book contains theological truth (indeed, some lines in the Psalter contain terrible theology) but is rather the authour (David et al) expressing themselves genuinely. Similarly, I think that this book, despite the occasional faux pas, is quite beneficial in its encouraging of a pursuit of a genuine relationship with God. Now it's not going to take you there, but no book can, not all the way. But it sparks interest. It opens eyes to the idea that maybe life isn't about earning God's favour after all (one of the greatest heresies of modern Christianity), that maybe we can have a genuine relationship with Him.

Of course, that genuine relationship comes from and through the Gospel, and I can't remember what sort of treatment the Shack does on that part. Not very well, I don't think, so that's a big point against it.

And finally, the book is a mess from a literary perspective. I'm pretty sure he just came up with his points and wrote a story to illustrate them, and as such it's not really very much of a read. I can't remember enough to get too specific, but I remember being blown away by how shallow and stilted the characters seemed.

Upvote 0