Vancouver
✟15,335.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello, this is my first post. I am struggling with the second coming of Christ. Here is part of the issue for me:
  • In 1Thess. 3:13 Paul states: "...so that he may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints."
  • OK, so, Paul prays to God that the Thessalonians would be blameless in holiness at "the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints"
  • Now, "the coming of our Lord Jesus" is identified as the bodily return of Christ in 1Thess. 4:15-18
  • So, Paul was under the impression that the bodily return of Jesus -- the coming of our Lord -- would happen within the lifetime of some Thessalonian believers -- "...so that he may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints."
  • It seems that the promise to the Thessalonian believers has been falsified. The Thessalonian believers were supposed to be blameless in holiness before God the Father at the coming of the Lord Jesus -- THAT NEVER HAPPENED.
Please help.

ShineyDays2

Nov 16, 2018
Murphy
✟50,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, this is my first post. I am struggling with the second coming of Christ. Here is part of the issue for me:
  • In 1Thess. 3:13 Paul states: "...so that he may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints."
  • OK, so, Paul prays to God that the Thessalonians would be blameless in holiness at "the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints"
  • Now, "the coming of our Lord Jesus" is identified as the bodily return of Christ in 1Thess. 4:15-18
  • So, Paul was under the impression that the bodily return of Jesus -- the coming of our Lord -- would happen within the lifetime of some Thessalonian believers -- "...so that he may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints."
  • It seems that the promise to the Thessalonian believers has been falsified. The Thessalonian believers were supposed to be blameless in holiness before God the Father at the coming of the Lord Jesus -- THAT NEVER HAPPENED.
Please help.

Upvote 0

ShineyDays2

Nov 16, 2018
Murphy
✟50,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When applied to Christians, the quality of blamelessness is both a positional benefit of salvation and a moral character to be achieved. Each person is worthy of accusation in the sight of God. The blameless character of Christians, however, is the intention of God, who "chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight" (Ephesians 1:4 ). Christ's love and sacrifice for the church were such that he could present her to himself "without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless" (Ephesians 5:27 ).

Blamelessness is not earned by personal gain, but imputed by the death and resurrection of Christ (Colossians 1:22 ). God's power and protection ensure that the believer maintains a blameless status until the final judgment (1 Corinthians 1:8; Jude 24 )

Col 1:22 ~ "...he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and irreproachable before him,

"Jesus describes Nathaniel as a true Israelite, “in whom there is nothing false.” Nathaniel is astonished and asks, “How do you know me?” (John 1: 43-49).

He knows us by name – knows you.

2 Timothy 2:19 ~ "The Lord knows those who are his,”

2Co 1:22 "...he has put his seal upon us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.

"...but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary" (Eze 9:4, 6)​

Rev 9:4 ~ "...they were told not to harm the grass of the earth or any green growth or any tree, but only those of mankind who have not the seal of God upon their foreheads; ("trees often symbolize believers in Christ)​

What does the seal stand for? A seal is a token assuring the possession of property to someone.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Please help.

So, Paul was under the impression that the bodily return of Jesus -- the coming of our Lord -- would happen within the lifetime of some Thessalonian believers --

not during their earthly lifetime ...

They will at the first resurrection ... all of the saved will be presented blameless and holy before God the father ... covered by the blood of Jesus when He returns.

Paul discusses this event in the next chapter.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Please help.
It's a prayer that God will grow them in holiness so that they may be blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

And, yes, Paul expected Jesus to return "soon," in his lifetime.

Even though Jesus didn't come in their lifetime, the prayer still is that they may be blameless when they do meet the Lord.

It's a good NT prayer.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Please help.

"But now that Timothy has come to us from you, and has brought us the good news of your faith and love and reported that you always remember us kindly and long to see us, as we long to see you--for this reason, brothers, in all our distress and affliction we have been comforted about you through your faith. For now we live, if you are standing fast in the Lord. For what thanksgiving can we return to God for you, for all the joy that we feel for your sake before our God, as we pray most earnestly night and day that we may see you face to face and supply what is lacking in your faith?

Now may our God and Father Himself, and our Lord Jesus, direct our way to you, and may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, as we do for you, so that He may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all His saints.
" - 1 Thessalonians 3:6-13

St. Paul is praying a blessing for the Thessalonians, praying that God would continue the work He already began, sanctifying them. That is why Paul says "that He may establish", it is a prayer for God's continued grace and work in the lives of the Thessalonian Christians.

This isn't a promise from Paul that Jesus would return in their lifetime, but a prayer for God's continued work in their lives, as they look forward in hope to Christ's coming. That should the Lord return in their lifetime, that they would be ready on that day. But it doesn't say that He would, only that they should be prepared for it (because it could happen at anytime).

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

FameBright

Jan 20, 2021
Biloxi
✟22,549.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, Paul was under the impression that the bodily return of Jesus -- the coming of our Lord -- would happen within the lifetime of some Thessalonian believers -- "

Can't be true:

Mark 13:32, KJV: "But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Please help.

What Apostle Paul was given to preach by The Holy Spirit was not always for the times of those he spoke it amongst. We see this same thing with Jesus upon the Mount of Olives when His disciples present there with Him asked Him about the sign of His coming. He was speaking it to them, but His 2nd coming didn't happen in their day. It's still yet future to us even.

So what about those us who are old and we die, leaving our offspring to wait for Jesus' 2nd coming? Just because Lord Jesus didn't come in those old people's time, does that mean the prophecy of His coming wasn't meant for them? No, of course not. After Jesus ascended to The Father, from then, beginning of His promise to return, that is when His disciples started looking for His coming, as it still is today.

Upvote 0