The scripture and church unity.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,327.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
According to the protestant movements and the movements after the protestants, it seems the scripture cannot be used as a point of commonality in terms of church unity.

The fruit is evident, multiple divisions and a lack of unity all over bible interpretation.

The scripture obviously isn't enough, what do you think would fix the issue of disunity in the body of Christ?

1st Corinthians 3
3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
5 ¶ Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?

Generally, the reason I ask is because having a more spiritually mature church, would be a better witness globally.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
According to the protestant movements and the movements after the protestants, it seems the scripture cannot be used as a point of commonality in terms of church unity.
It can. But it's the same with the Catholic principle called "Sacred Tradition" which hasn't brought unity either. Yet everyone on all sides would prefer if there were unity.

In both cases, it owes to all-too-human differences of opinion about the meaning of all of this stuff. It's not a failing built into the principles per se.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
error-with-protestant-interpretation-click-ok-to-join-catholic-church.png

• Haha
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Generally, the reason I ask is because having a more spiritually mature church, would be a better witness globally.
Michael, I don't think I know anyone who disagrees with that.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The standpoint that rest in my mind is that of believing in unity, however it is on an individual level instead of that of one which is global.

Reminding the self that Jesus Christ was not a political figure
(He was always thinking on the things above, than that of below and the will of his Father) tends to help sometimes in on a subject matter like this, also understanding that the bible was written for a certain people that are no longer here anymore.

We can however take from scripture and apply it to the self as we seek in and go through the word of God.

The scripture that reminds me of what unity is can be founded in Ephesians Chapter 4.

It starts at verse one, though here is 14-16.

14 Then we will no longer be infants (babes in Christ Jesus), tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming.

15 Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ.

16 From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.

The way to fix the issue: Would only be to remind them of the truth that was spoken by Jesus Christ. Ask them what that truly means to them. Some people may say that it isn't just all about love, I would disagree but if they do not believe it to be so.

It is no ones place to fix the person. They have their own free will, and choice just like everyone else.

Mark 12:30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment. 31 And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You have a point there, all right. "Unity" can be seen in different ways.

However, Christ did commission his Apostles, and so his church, to make disciples of all nations. We have a ways to go in that department, even though Christianity is the world's largest and most widespread religion. Michael's thought that a unified church effort would be more successful seems right.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Colossians 3:15, I would say, gives a basic of how to live in unity with others who are God's children >

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful." (Colossians 3:15)

Whoever obeys God in this peace is already in unity . . . "in one body" with all the others who are submissive to God in His own peace. And the scriptures can feed us plenty about how to get here, and how to stay here > not only by doctrinal agreement, but by how God changes us to be and to live and to love . . . like Jesus in us, sharing this with us (Galatians 2:20).

But one basic of this is how our Heavenly Father in us personally guides each of us, in His own peace; He guides us according to all He knows is really happening all around us, and all He knows is really going on in other people. And what He does with each of us is in coordination with all the others who are obeying Him in the whole body of Jesus.

How God is coordinating the body of Jesus is at a higher level of ability and intelligence, than how He coordinates a physical human body; because this peace is spiritual with God's own level of harmony, being shared with us. This unified coordination is already happening in His peace in whoever is obeying Him in His peace.

So, yes there are decoy things to get our attention away from personally submitting to God in His own peace which has us now in this unity.

There are people who are not going to ever obey how God has us in unity. They will do other things, and maybe call attention to what they dictate we have to do. If ones are calling people to what is not God's way, of course it never will work, because >

"God resists the proud" (in James 4:6 and also in 1 Peter 5:5).

"If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me." (in Luke 9:23)

"And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma." (Ephesians 5:2)

This way of loving has us in unity with Jesus and therefore with one another. All scripture can somehow help us to find out how to love, and how to personally submit to our Heavenly Father in His own peace which has us sharing as His family while reaching with hope for any and all others > love "hopes all things" (in 1 Corinthians 13:7)

But in case someone's efforts for unity are elsewhere . . . big mistake!!

Also, we now can join one another, in prayer >

"Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." (1 Timothy 2:1-4)

Jesus on the cross died with hope for any and all people. Love "hopes all things" (in 1 Corinthians 13:7). So, as we pray with this hope for any and all people, we thrive in unity with Jesus and strengthen our unity with one another, in this loving.

So, our true unity is deeper than outward conformity of groups and individuals. Jesus says do not evaluate by appearances > John 7:24 > how people can make things look will be no guarantee of real unity!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,217.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The fruit is evident, multiple divisions and a lack of unity all over bible interpretation.

The scripture obviously isn't enough, what do you think would fix the issue of disunity in the body of Christ?

1st Corinthians 3
3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
5 ¶ Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?

I think we would need to have severe persecution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums