Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If they were sincere followers why did they stop following Jesus?
Because Jesus told them that their works of the flesh didn't matter. He told them that they would be saved by His Flesh and Blood alone, in His amazing Jesus way... moments before they left Him. John 6:63

He told them they would have to EAT His flesh and DRINK His Blood. They didn't understand what He was spiritually teaching and threw their suckers in the dirt, to go back to the Torah... which they found to be easier.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟490,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus IS the Law. Jesus IS the Word. Jesus IS salvation. Jesus IS YHWH. Jesus IS the Way. Jesus IS the Truth. I'm not going to Isaiah 14:14, anytime soon.
So Jesus is the law and therefore don't have to believe His Word that if we love Him, we will keep His commandments. John 14:15 Exo 20:6. Interesting, not how I interpret the scriptures.

The law leads us to Christ, the law is not Christ Gal 3:24 and is perfect for converting our soul Psa 19:7,as it is a reflection of His character that we are to take on His image, by having the same faith of Jesus Rev 14:12 who kept all of the commandments John 15:10 including the Sabbath Luke 4:16 and He is our example to follow 1 John 2:6

Guess we will have to agree to disagree. I appreciate the chat and wish you well in seeking Truth to His Word.

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟93,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Because many trust in themselves instead of the power of Jesus John 14:15-18

So I take it you don't believe the answer Jesus gave. Thats a choice one can make. Many people believe in Jesus but not His teachings much like the rich young ruler.
Let's look at this bluntly. Jesus was GOD with US. Immanuel. Yeshua (YeHoshua).... "God is Salvation".... Only Jesus is Good. Do you agree?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟490,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Let's look at this bluntly. Jesus was GOD with US. Immanuel. Yeshua (YeHoshua).... "God is Salvation".... Only Jesus is Good. Do you agree?
Agreed, and if Jesus is Good and tells us to keep the commandments Mat 19:17-19 John 14:15 Exo 20:6 and when we keep our rules over the commandments of God our hearts are far from Him and we end up in a ditch Mat 15:3-14- why would we not believe Him. He teaches these things for our own good. Rev 22:14

I need to run. God bless us all and keep seeking His Word! :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Grip Docility
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟93,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So Jesus is the law and therefore don't have to believe His Word that if we love Him, we will keep His commandments. John 14:15 Exo 20:6. Interesting, not how I interpret the scriptures.

The law leads us to Christ, the law is not Christ Gal 3:24 and is perfect for converting our soul Psa 19:7,as it is a reflection of His character that we are to take on His image, by having the same faith of Jesus who kept all of the commandments John 15:10 including the Sabbath Luke 4:16 and He is our example to follow 1 John 2:6

Guess we will have to agree to disagree. I appreciate the chat and wish you well in seeking Truth to His Word.
Did Jesus give any "NEW" commandments while He was there? Did, perhaps the very finger that carved the 10 Commandments, maybe write something more profound and amazing... that impressed Pharisees with Lawful right to stone a woman for being an Adulterous, caught in the act of Adultery, per the Law... to drop their stones?

Seriously... Please think about that. On SiNai (or mount Sin), God carved into stone with the very finger of God. But, in Human form... God carved into the dust of Creation an unknown matter, that exalted Mercy! That's pretty amazing, isn't it?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟490,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Did Jesus give any "NEW" commandments while He was there? Did, perhaps the very finger that carved the 10 Commandments, maybe write something more profound and amazing... that impressed Pharisees with Lawful right to stone a woman for being an Adulterous, caught in the act of Adultery, per the Law... to drop their stones?

Seriously... Please think about that. On SiNai (or mount Sin), God carved into stone with the very finger of God. But, in Human form... God carved into the dust of Creation an unknown matter, that exalted Mercy! That's pretty amazing, isn't it?
Sure Jesus is not limited in His law- but Jesus taught us not to break the least of the commandment and quoted directly from the Ten commandments Mat 5:19-30 and said when we keep our rules over the commandments of God again quoting directly from the Ten- our hearts are far from Him Mat 5:3-14, so new laws don't delete old laws. Most of His new laws were not "new" He was teaching OT.

In the New Covenant- Judgement is the last day. John 12:48 When He comes all decisions will be made Rev 22:11 either with Him or against Him, those are the two choices. Rom 6:16

Jesus warned us many people would be coming in His name teaching us deceiving doctrines, that go against His own teachings. Trust Jesus, He will only lead us on the narrow path back to reconciliation Rev 22:14 if you read the next verse Rev 22:15- you will clearly see God's Ten Commandments never ended, breaking one is like breaking them all James 2:10-12

Anway, really need to go, catch up with you later. :)

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟93,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Sure Jesus is not limited in His law- but Jesus taught us not to break the least of the commandment and quoted directly from the Ten commandments Mat 5:19-30 and said when we keep our rules over the commandments of God again quoting directly from the Ten- our hearts are far from Him Mat 5:3-14, so new laws don't delete old laws. Most of His new laws were not "new" He was teaching OT.

In the New Covenant- Judgement is the last day. John 12:48

Jesus warned us people would be coming in His name teaching us deceiving doctrines, that go against His own teachings. Trust Jesus, He will only lead us on the narrow path reconciliation Rev 22:14 if you read the next verse- you will clearly see God's Ten Commandments never ended, breaking one is like breaking them all James 2:10-12

Anway, really need to go, catch up with you later. :)
But, he did give what He called a new Commandment... and Paul refers to it.... adjacent to the Stone, (1 Corinthians 9: 20And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; 21To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

James calls this the Royal Law... James 2:8

Jesus gives it here: John 13:34-35

The Love of Christ is what Constrains us (2 Corinthians 5:14-19) :D We are under the Law of Love. (1 John 4:8 .... God is Love)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟100,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Because Jesus told them that their works of the flesh didn't matter. He told them that they would be saved by His Flesh and Blood alone, in His amazing Jesus way... moments before they left Him. John 6:63

He told them they would have to EAT His flesh and DRINK His Blood. They didn't understand what He was spiritually teaching and threw their suckers in the dirt, to go back to the Torah... which they found to be easier.
Then they were not sincere followers of Jesus. If they had been they would have continued to follow Him. His sincere disciples stuck with Him.

John 6: 66 ¶ From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟93,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Then they were not sincere followers of Jesus. If they had been they would have continued to follow Him. His sincere disciples stuck with Him.

John 6: 66 ¶ From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.
Interesting! But they were all too eager to follow Him when they thought He was going to commend them for keeping Torah. The verses before John 6:66 are pretty awesome, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟100,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Interesting! But they were all too eager to follow Him when they thought He was going to commend them for keeping Torah. The verses before John 6:66 are pretty awesome, in my opinion.
So? From 66 onward they show their falsity.

Matthew 10: 22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name’s sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

That means only those who stick with Jesus when His words cut across our personal inclinations will be saved. We have to walk where He walks and go where He goes to be saved. We can't go where we want and do what we want and still be saved.

Luke 9: 22 Saying, The Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be slain, and be raised the third day.
23 ¶ And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
24 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.

Matthew 10: 33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.
34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
36 And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household.
37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Jesus sets extremely high standards of loyalty.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟282,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Grip Docility
Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟13,492.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Paul got his teaching from Jesus personally (Gal 1:11-12), as did all the other apostles.

Jesus magnified love (Mt 22:37-40).
The phrase "to magnify the law" is often associated with Jesus' teachings , specifically in the Gospel of Matthew, where Jesus says, Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

By saying this, Jesus emphasized that he did not come to abolish the Jewish law (the Torah) but to fulfill its true meaning and purpose. In his teachings, Jesus often went beyond the literal interpretation of the law and emphasized its deeper spiritual and moral implications. He gave examples such as refraining from anger being akin to refraining from murder, and looking at someone with lust being similar to adultery (Matthew 5:21-30).

So, in a sense, Jesus did magnified the law by revealing its true significance and intent, going beyond mere observance of its external requirements to focus on the inward disposition of the heart and the principles of love, justice, and mercy. Jesus words are clear, their meaning certain.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟100,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Paul got his teaching from Jesus personally (Gal 1:11-12), as did all the other apostles.

Jesus magnified love (Mt 22:37-40).
You might try reading the sermon on the mount. Jesus magnified the law in that sermon.

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟93,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So? From 66 onward they show their falsity.

Matthew 10: 22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name’s sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

That means only those who stick with Jesus when His words cut across our personal inclinations will be saved. We have to walk where He walks and go where He goes to be saved. We can't go where we want and do what we want and still be saved.

Luke 9: 22 Saying, The Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be slain, and be raised the third day.
23 ¶ And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
24 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.

Matthew 10: 33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.
34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
36 And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household.
37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Jesus sets extremely high standards of loyalty.
They turn away from the purity of the gospel. Jesus alone is sufficient to save.

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟93,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You might try reading the sermon on the mount. Jesus magnified the law in that sermon.
I’m pretty sure that @Clare73 is talking specifically about the sermon on the mount. See that scripture shorthand she’s using? It signifies something.

• Love
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟100,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I’m pretty sure that @Clare73 is talking specifically about the sermon on the mount. See that scripture shorthand she’s using? It signifies something.
The sermon on the mount begins in Matthew 5. Her words certainly don't indicate Jesus magnifying the law.

Matthew 5: 27 ¶ Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟100,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟93,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The sermon on the mount begins in Matthew 5. Her words certainly don't indicate Jesus magnifying the law.

Matthew 5: 27 ¶ Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
My patience is well. I hope you are kidding when explaining what the Sermon on the Mount is.

Isn’t it interesting that the same God that dispensed the Book of the Law from a Mountain named sin… dispensed Magnification of the Law as a “man” born of a Virgin?

Last edited:
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟100,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
My patience is well. I hope you are kidding when explaining what the Sermon on the Mount is.

Isn’t it interesting that the same God that dispensed the Book of the Law from a Mountain named sin… dispensed Magnification of the Law as a “man” born of a Virgin?
You thought Clare was referring to the sermon on the mount in Matthew 22. That didn't inspire confidence in me.

Jesus is fully man and fully God.

What mountain named sin?

Upvote 0