Farmington
✟26,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed

The Russian Turtle Tank Is The Weirdest Armored Vehicle Of The Ukraine War. The Craziest Thing Is, It Might Actually Work.

Early this month, Ukrainian drone operators were flabbergasted to spot, on the battlefield outside Krasnohorivka—just west of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine—a Russian T-72 tank with what appeared to be a metal roof atop its hull and turret.

Incredibly, the bizarre up-armored tank wasn’t a one-off. In fact, it launched a vehicular trend in the Russian army in Ukraine as more and more Russian crews came around to the idea that the strange improvised armor might actually work.

The problem is, it only works against one particular Ukrainian munition. And the Ukrainians are about to expand their arsenal with munitions the DIY tanks probably can’t defeat.

It was obvious what that three-person Russian crew outside Krasnohorivka was trying to do: put up a shield between its 51-ton tank and the thousands of explosive first-person-view drones Ukrainian forces launch every day.

It was equally obvious that the shell-like armor—which inspired the derisive “turtle tank” moniker—would probably come with serious drawbacks. Its vertical posts would prevent the tank’s turret from rotating. The bulk would impede visibility and mobility. And the installation seemingly left a gap in the front for a skilled FPV operator to fly their drone through.

Observers laughed at the awkward turtle tank. And they laughed harder when the first turtle tank survived its combat debut—an assault on Ukrainian positions in Krasnohorivka—only to apparently get blown up in an artillery barrage targeting its base in Donetsk.

But the turtle tanks kept coming. Three weeks later, they’re a common sight all along the eastern front of Russia’s 26-month wider war on Ukraine.

Often sporting anti-drone radio jammers on their shells and mine-clearing rollers on their hulls, the tanks have led several assaults on Krasnohorivka. At least one was damaged and immobilized; Russian troops towed it off the battlefield.

Most of the turtle tanks belong to the 5th Motor Rifle Brigade, a former Ukrainian separatist unit that joined the Russian army last year. The 5th Motor Rifle Brigade has always made do with whatever weapons it can beg, borrow or steal.

But now turtle tanks are also showing up in the workshops of better-equipped Russian units—including the 90th Tank Division, which is lurking around the ruins of the eastern city of Avdiivka, possibly waiting to exploit the gap Russian troops recently opened in Ukrainian lines around the village of Ocheretyne.

The Russian army isn’t always particularly careful with its equipment and the lives of its troops, but it isn’t—as an institution—stupid. If turtle tanks are proliferating, it’s probably because they’re solving some problem.

“I know people are laughing at this, but I don't think it is a crazy adaptation,” wrote Rob Lee, an analyst with the Foreign Policy Research Institute in Philadelphia. “The Russians are adapting to the particular conditions of the battlefield.”

Screenshot 2024-04-26 5.01.15 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-26 5.06.29 PM.png

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟103,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The Russian Turtle Tank Is The Weirdest Armored Vehicle Of The Ukraine War. The Craziest Thing Is, It Might Actually Work.

Early this month, Ukrainian drone operators were flabbergasted to spot, on the battlefield outside Krasnohorivka—just west of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine—a Russian T-72 tank with what appeared to be a metal roof atop its hull and turret.

Incredibly, the bizarre up-armored tank wasn’t a one-off. In fact, it launched a vehicular trend in the Russian army in Ukraine as more and more Russian crews came around to the idea that the strange improvised armor might actually work.

The problem is, it only works against one particular Ukrainian munition. And the Ukrainians are about to expand their arsenal with munitions the DIY tanks probably can’t defeat.

It was obvious what that three-person Russian crew outside Krasnohorivka was trying to do: put up a shield between its 51-ton tank and the thousands of explosive first-person-view drones Ukrainian forces launch every day.

It was equally obvious that the shell-like armor—which inspired the derisive “turtle tank” moniker—would probably come with serious drawbacks. Its vertical posts would prevent the tank’s turret from rotating. The bulk would impede visibility and mobility. And the installation seemingly left a gap in the front for a skilled FPV operator to fly their drone through.

Observers laughed at the awkward turtle tank. And they laughed harder when the first turtle tank survived its combat debut—an assault on Ukrainian positions in Krasnohorivka—only to apparently get blown up in an artillery barrage targeting its base in Donetsk.

But the turtle tanks kept coming. Three weeks later, they’re a common sight all along the eastern front of Russia’s 26-month wider war on Ukraine.

Often sporting anti-drone radio jammers on their shells and mine-clearing rollers on their hulls, the tanks have led several assaults on Krasnohorivka. At least one was damaged and immobilized; Russian troops towed it off the battlefield.

Most of the turtle tanks belong to the 5th Motor Rifle Brigade, a former Ukrainian separatist unit that joined the Russian army last year. The 5th Motor Rifle Brigade has always made do with whatever weapons it can beg, borrow or steal.

But now turtle tanks are also showing up in the workshops of better-equipped Russian units—including the 90th Tank Division, which is lurking around the ruins of the eastern city of Avdiivka, possibly waiting to exploit the gap Russian troops recently opened in Ukrainian lines around the village of Ocheretyne.

The Russian army isn’t always particularly careful with its equipment and the lives of its troops, but it isn’t—as an institution—stupid. If turtle tanks are proliferating, it’s probably because they’re solving some problem.

“I know people are laughing at this, but I don't think it is a crazy adaptation,” wrote Rob Lee, an analyst with the Foreign Policy Research Institute in Philadelphia. “The Russians are adapting to the particular conditions of the battlefield.”

View attachment 346663

View attachment 346664
Now I do not support any wars, but this tank looks like something from a B-movie or Mad Max (have seen clips of the movie).

The Romanians also built Mad Max style vehicles for the Ukrainians: Romanians Crowdfund 'Mad Max' Armored Vehicles For Ukraine

From RFE
1714176322179.jpeg

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟26,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Now I do not support any wars, but this tank looks like something from a B-movie or Mad Max (have seen clips of the movie).

The Romanians also built Mad Max style vehicles for the Ukrainians: Romanians Crowdfund 'Mad Max' Armored Vehicles For Ukraine

From RFE
View attachment 346668

LoL! You're right. It does look like a Mad Max type contraption. Which means Russia may have been inspired by a WESTERN movie!

Screenshot 2024-04-26 7.11.14 PM.png

I'm sure the Russians could use something like this monstrosity in the war! Acoustic weapons. All they need to do is a turtle shell over it and shield the tires...
Screenshot 2024-04-26 7.13.38 PM.png

• Haha
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟103,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
LoL! You're right. It does look like a Mad Max type contraption. Which means Russia may have been inspired by a WESTERN movie!

View attachment 346669

I'm sure the Russians could use something like this monstrosity in the war! Acoustic weapons. All they need to do is a turtle shell over it and shield the tires...
View attachment 346670
Yeah, but the acoustic weapons could unintentionally hurt civilians. Just had to put a movie reference, but I do not support Russia (or war), and do not want to get into a debate about the ethics of weaponry. :) But hey, we both agree that Ukrainians and Russians have gone full Mad Max: Fury Road. And yes, a lot of Eastern Europeans enjoy the Western culture*.

*Opinion piece: ‘They see Hollywood movies as a right’: the Russians breaking the law to watch Barbie

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟26,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Yeah, but the acoustic weapons could unintentionally hurt civilians. Just had to put a movie reference, but I do not support Russia (or war), and do not want to get into a debate about the ethics of weaponry. :) But hey, we both agree that Ukrainians and Russians have gone full Mad Max: Fury Road. And yes, a lot of Eastern Europeans enjoy the Western culture*.

*Opinion piece: ‘They see Hollywood movies as a right’: the Russians breaking the law to watch Barbie

How terrible! They are succumbing to Western sin. Barbie is sinful. Most movies are sinful. I no longer watch them. I did see Mad Max back in the day. The Barbie song is pure lewdness and evil. I can't believe kids under 10 were listening to that trash back 25 years ago!

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟103,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How terrible! They are succumbing to Western sin. Barbie is sinful. Most movies are sinful. I no longer watch them. I did see Mad Max back in the day. The Barbie song is pure lewdness and evil. I can't believe kids under 10 were listening to that trash back 25 years ago!
Yeah, the Barbie song is not good, but the movie was alright, though Oppenheimer was a better movie. I stay away from movies that are violent or sexual.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟146,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

View attachment 346669

View attachment 346670
Wow, “Burning Man” gets weirder & weirder.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟146,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Lmbo! These dudes wouldn’t stand a chance if NATO were to get directly involved.
I think that the “design” is to get armor-piercing shells to explode before they actually pierce the tank.
The “crew” dies but the hardware survives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums